So my family bought take out...RANT

Options

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    NM -- was feeling snarky but changed my mind.
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    I'm 21. I'm a student who studies from home, because I need to use all the money from the work I do to pay my books and study fees. My parents refuse to pay for it. So unless I go live on the street I can't move out.

They didn't pay for my food. I did.

They used the rest of my money to buy coke.

They comment on EVERYTHING I eat.

"You can't eat meat! It will make you bulky..."
    "You can't eat that, it will make you fat!"

As I said she took MY food and fed it to the dog. There is dogfood in the house. Do you expect me to eat that? :-/

Yes I could go buy my own food. But it's a little despicable to take my money for your own use. And to decide FOR ME what I should and shouldn't eat.

In my state you can use student loans for housing and meals plans as well as tuition. I'd look into that for the college you are attending. There are worse things in the world than student loans. It's worth the $250 a month I pay towards my loans to have built up a savings account and not had to kill myself working during college. I had a job that paid for emergencies. Ya I graduated with 20k in debt but I also graduated with 10k in the bank account a good car 100% paid off and stable work history.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Take out a loan and move out.
    You're 21.

Then in a few years when she complains that she can't afford certain things because of loan payments MFP will tell her it was stupid to take out a loan.

Oh well.

Student loans to pay for school.
    Job money to pay for housing.
    Thousands do it.

Yes, I am doing that right now. Having loans sucks, though, and presumably OP won't be in school much longer.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do you have a car?

For a second I read this as Do you have a cat? lol
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Then go buy something to eat.

/End thread.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Also, this is exactly what I said to my friends list. Grow up, OP.

I'm also 21, also study from home, and work. I don't complain when my family doesn't feed me. I pay rent, buy my own groceries, and deal with my own life like an adult. All I could see when I read this was "poor me, I can't take care of myself."
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would be upset too. Mostly about the fact that they told me what I could and could not eat. We live with my in-laws currently while we save up to move out (we were on our own for 3 years but recently moved states). They like to eat all my healthy snacks (that I do pay for) and then not buy any more to replace them. So i have started hiding them in my sons nursery at the top of his closet. I always have a stash of granola, fiber bars, and a few other things in there. You could try doing that.

I would go out an buy some food if I was that hungry though. No point in starving just because you're mad. You can get a pretty cheap quick meal at the grocery store.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    my biggest concern is that your sister fed your dog food that she thought was bad.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Do you have a car?

Yes. But it just pisses me off that my family is apparently actively trying to starve me or something. If they didn't want to bring me anything they could've just said that I should go get my own food instead of buying me salad because I "can't eat ribs it will make me fat."

I agree that it sucks, don't get me wrong. My question was an honest one because it was possible you didn't. Why are you giving them money?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I would be upset too. Mostly about the fact that they told me what I could and could not eat. We live with my in-laws currently while we save up to move out (we were on our own for 3 years but recently moved states). They like to eat all my healthy snacks (that I do pay for) and then not buy any more to replace them. So i have started hiding them in my sons nursery at the top of his closet. I always have a stash of granola, fiber bars, and a few other things in there. You could try doing that.

I would go out an buy some food if I was that hungry though. No point in starving just because you're mad. You can get a pretty cheap quick meal at the grocery store.

you have to hide your food? RIDICULOUS!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    when you say coke, do you mean soda or cocaine?

if it's cocaine, just narc em out.

then you'll have a free house you can sell and buy ribs with.
    QFT.

Think of all the ribs!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    my biggest concern is that your sister fed your dog food that she thought was bad.

That is kind of messed up!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Do you have a car?

For a second I read this as Do you have a cat? lol

Hell then I'd say eat the cat food if you get the good stuff. Some of that *kitten* looks better than anything I cook.

(No, I'm not serious about eating it but seriously...they have lobster bisque for cats now!)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's it. If you're over 18 get a job and your own place and start taking care of yourself.

She did. She bought it, cooked it and froze it for herself. Then someone in her family decided to feed it to the dog. Obviously if someone else takes your food without permission...your last meal available before being able to go shopping again... it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect that person to replace that meal for the day. If one of my roommates decided to take the last of my chili from the freezer and feed it to their cats when they know full well it's not theirs, nor is it cat food and I had nothing to replace that dinner that I had bought and prepared for myself, i would absolutely expect that they replace what they used. Reading the whole post would be helpful before passing unfair judgement.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's it. If you're over 18 get a job and your own place and start taking care of yourself.

She did. She bought it, cooked it and froze it for herself. Then someone in her family decided to feed it to the dog. Obviously if someone else takes your food without permission...your last meal available before being able to go shopping again... it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect that person to replace that meal for the day. If one of my roommates decided to take the last of my chili from the freezer and feed it to their cats when they know full well it's not theirs, nor is it cat food and I had nothing to replace that dinner that I had bought and prepared for myself, i would absolutely expect that they replace what they used. Reading the whole post would be helpful before passing unfair judgement.

How old is her sister?

Did she have the food marked?

She's an adult. She can replace her own food. You don't know how old her sister is, based on the OP's posts. So she could be 10 years old for all you know.

I think you're drawing things between the lines.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    The problem isn't that they didn't buy me food.

It's the fact that I gave them money, they used it to buy something else than I asked them for. Now I have to spend more money to drive all the way back to find a store that's still open this time of night in this small town, when infact they could have gotten it right the first time.

My sister KNOWS I cook for the week and gave my food to the dog even though he has his own food.

They tell me what I should and shouldn't eat and they want to take my diet into their own hands. It's my problem. Not theirs.