Ladies who LIFT & RUN....

Options
1235»

Replies

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I found my love of running again about a year ago. I had gained so much weight that it was no longer fun. I completed my first marathon a month ago today. I have done many 1/2 marathons in the past. I typcially run 3 days per week and have weight training 3 days and then add spin class for low impact but endurance building in there.

Yesterday I fought with myself the entire 4 miles I was running (Tuesdays are my short run days).

I think I have found that adding weight training has helped me out a ton with my running.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow, I was just wondering if such a group existed! I'm a new runner and loving it (did my first 5K in December and signed up for a 4 miler in April) but I have wanted to start Stronglifts 5X5. I'm not sure what is stopping me. Mostly, I'm afraid of doing it wrong and getting injured. Also, I wanted to know what my bodyfat percentage was before I started so I'd know what my goal was. (Just got my bodpod testing today, so there's really no more excuses!)

I've done a few weight loss challenges on MFP over the past few months and have lost just under 19 pounds, but although I probably have another 30-40 pounds to lose my real goal is to reduce my bodyfat percentage. I don't really care what I weigh as long as am toned and fit and an stronger! Also, I want my maintenance calories to be something realistic. Right now I'm eating about 1700 calories and I'm not sure I want to go much lower!

For those of you who are also trying to lose weight/fat, did you find you gained any weight or stayed the same when you added lifting? I guess that's my other fear. That I'll lose the most familiar tool I have for measuring my progress.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm a newer runner (been running for the past year), not new to lifting, but I like to change it up alot. My "long" runs are 4 miles, I've done 2 5ks so far, but I've got three more on my radar so far. Anyone feel free to add me!
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Happy to find this group! I just got back into running after the first of the year (after taking a 7 year break - yikes!) and am training for a half marathon (not my first, but haven't done one in 8 years, so feels like my first).

Currently running 3 days a week with one of these being a long run and using light weights the other two days. I am not able to go to a gym (have to workout early morning while kiddos are still in bed) - what do you recommend for trying to get into heavy lifting from home? Do I have to invest in a lot of equipment?
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Starting to think we should start a MFP group, lol. I believe I sent friend requests to everyone, please add me if not ;-)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    This sounds like my kind of party. I'm a runner who just started lifting. I run five days a week, strength train once and do a barre or pilates class once for core. This is a new initiative after having some minor back weakness issues during half marathon trainings each year (age 43) ... the plan for 2015 is to strengthen my glutes and core and ensure that I'll be able to run long for years to come. I'm focusing on speeding up my 5K times for 2015 and really getting my form perfected and my body strong. I can't wait to meet some of you!
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running and weight lifting. I'm at the end of week 4 on c25k and just started week 5 of stronglifts 5x5. I do both 3 times a week. Currently my main focus is the weightlifting but I am actually starting to enjoy the running, which I never thought I would say :smile: . Anyone feel free to add me
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Adding you ladies ;)