Quest bars...not so fast!

Options
12346»

Replies

• Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What I like about them is they have way better protein ratios than a kind or Luna bar. The Kind bar I've bought before had like, 5 grams of protein, and the Luna had 10 grams for 180 calories. A quest bar has about 21 grams of protein for the same 180 calories, making a Luna bar to me just terrible.

Also, I really love the cookie dough and cookies and cream flavors a lot, they're so good. There are some flavors of bar that I'v tried and trashed them right away (Apple Pie) and ones I wouldn't even consider buying (banana nut muffin is definitely one of them). I also enjoy the White chocolate rasberry, vanilla almond crunch, and a few of the chocolate based ones, but the cookies and cream and cookie dough are the only ones I will buy by the box.

I can tell you what I like most about them is the nutritional stats, as well as how much bar you get for the calories. Being satisfying and filling is the number one thing I look for in a bar and these do that the best. I don't think most of them taste entirely like what they're supposed to be imitating, but I still find them to be delicious in their own way!

Ah, so it seems like y'all like them more for the stats than the flavor. That I can see. They do have more protein than the others I was noticing that.
    For me, I'm doing well on protein so a higher ratio of protein in a bar doesn't mean that much to me.
    I usually eat them to snack either at mid day or night. So I look for calories and taste. If I like it then I'll stick with it and grab that instead of chocolate. :smile:

I did take y'alls advise and I heated the White Chocolate Raspberry up in the microwave for 15 sec. That did knock some of the pasty icky off of it. It was actually decent then.

Thank you for your time. I understand the hype now. :smile:

Sorry OP I'm off topic but this was the most recent Quest thread I could find. :wink:

• radimage
    Options
    Just another ordinary protein bar if you ask me, nothing special. That being said, OP--you pretty much got owned.

Yes...I'm near suicide.
  • cece5300
    Options
    I love how butthurt everyone gets in these Quest bar debates. Both sides, no matter what. Butthurt.

They're not "good for you." Who cares? Some flavors are delightful, especially warmed up, but I treat them as a snack because that's what it's for. It's not a meal, even if you eat it in place of one. It's not food. They're slightly less calories than a snickers bar and I know if I want one warmed up as a night time snack it won't ruin my daily goals.

I don't put much stock in fooducate because 90% of the stuff I eat it gives a C grade.

In other news, I found Quest bars at our Publix supermarket the other day and I was so excited!
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Anything is ok in moderation. Even the dreaded alcohol
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Got it. Quest bars are toxic because they contain Monk fruit and Sucralose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19464334

Fooducate isn't living up to their name.

What is 'wrong' with Monk Fruit???
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This is making me want to buy and try a Quest bar.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    kikityme wrote: »
    The origin of that lawsuit is that for some diabetics, the bars appeared to spike blood sugar, which is odd, cause on paper the stats are darn near perfect.

The first one I tried, it was some kind of apple one, spiked my bs by 20 points. Which is a huge deal. I went a year without touching them.

Then one day I wasn't managing well and had to eat something...right...now... A friend pulled one out of her purse. Since I was low, I didn't worry too much and ate it. Normal food response for my blood sugar. It made me curious so I bought a couple different ones and tested them. The only one that raised my blood sugar like that again was the apple flavored ones. Which is good, cause I find they have a sour aftertaste I don't like.

So...is it a fluke, or are they mislabeled? I don't know, but I know they are delicious compared to the other protein bars, and they don't have that weird sour protein bar taste. I always have to have some food around me and these are better than glucose tabs which are more expensive. I don't live on them, but yeah, I'll keep buying them.

I eat them often, but as a Type 1 diabetic, I find that the carb listing does not align with my insulin to carb ratio. I need to give myself insuling for more than 21 grams of carb- so I question a bit of the nitrutional label. But even if the carbs are closer to 30, the macros on this are still pretty good (protein bang for your calorie buck)....but I do now that I have to calculate these bars closer to 30/32 g of carbs instead of 25