Is excess skin removal surgery selfish?

Options
12346»

Replies

• ilovesnugglies
    ilovesnugglies Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is selfish at all. Lucky for me, my insurance will pay for the skin removal, just not the tummy tuck part. I have to pay for that on my own.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you don't need to do it for your mental or physical health, it's selfish. But, as others have said, so is everything we do for ourselves that isn't necessary.

I wouldn't do or not do based on selfishness. It's not like you're stealing the money from someone else, for heaven's sake. I'd weigh the surgery risks to see if I thought they were acceptable. I'd make damn sure I wasn't negatively impacting my financial future. If those things checked out, then I'd go ahead with it.
  • blueblueheart
    Options
    Happy Mom = happy kids. The sooner the better.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    OP, i am in nearly the same boat as you are. i've lost just over 70 lbs, still trying to lose another 5 - 10 lbs, but i have excess skin. and i have the same issue -- it hangs and folds like fat would, and so psychologically it messes with me. i still feel fat even though everywhere else on my body is thin/"normal" looking. it is crushing to my self-confidence. even after losing weight i feel my body still looks awful in those areas, and it drives me mad. i was having a real hard time about it this morning, actually. it makes me cry sometimes. i've decided the only way i will be happy with my body is to get rid of it as well. i don't think it's selfish if the alternative means feeling miserable with myself for the rest of my life.
  • beautties
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in april 2012, I have lost 135 lbs but gained 20 in the last 2 years. I now qualify to have the excess skin removed which I am doing on Nov 28th. Its a little upsetting that I have put on 20 extra pounds but I shouldnt complain as I did lost a lot. I am walking 3 miles a day now starting today so hopefully I can lose more before my surgery. As for are you selfish for having the skin removed? Absolutely NOT. Unfortunately its not covered for you but its covered in Canada.. only the lower part, below the belly button which is fine with me. Best of luck should you choose to have it removed and please do not feel selfish, its your body and you have to live in your skin :smiley:
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    People simply don't know or are scared to go out of the US..Colombia, Brazil, or Dominican Republic are very successful in cosmetic surgeries... You can see it in their celebrities who are unknown in the US, but they are much better looking then our own celebrities...
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can message me personally and I'll tell you about my experience with my head to toe plastic surgery reconstruction process. I will guarantee that even if you have complications, you will NEVER regret having excess skin removed :)
  • Skyrush
    Skyrush Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing all of that weight! What an achievement!
    My aunt has the same problem with loose skin. It can get sweaty there in warm weather and is extremely uncomfortable. I would look into donating your skin to a burn center....they could really use it and just might do it free of charge, as $10,000 seems high to me. And besides, you'd be helping others get their lives back. Best of luck to you!!