Anyone Else Have an Overweight Chid? Any tips?

Options
My son is 7 and he is 115lbs and a little over 4ft tall. I take full responsibility for his weight. We are all overweight due to our eating habits and lifestyle. About a month ago I decided enough was enough so I have changed the way we all eat. I started cooking more and for the most part have cut out fast food, sweets, chips, candy and what not. He gets a treat once a week. I am working on portion control for him and using MFP for myself. Doctor says to let him grow into the weight but I'm sure it would not hurt him to lose a little. I am hoping that the change in diet will help. I am also looking for ways to get him more active with out making him feel like he is "working out" I guess. We have all been going to the park together. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice or has gone through a similar experience. I don't want my son to be unhealthy and I know he is going to need my guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've got the right idea...lots of fun active stuff as a family and good food, don't make a big deal of diet or treats because it will become a forbidden delight
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Listen to the doctor. Make sure he's active and teach him the right choices but don't restrict calories, he's still growing and needs the nutrition.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My kids arent overweight, however, I think you're doing a great job with cooking properly and limiting junk. I would like to say, don't verbally make a big deal about his weight. Kids can be very sensitive. Just keep encouraging better eating habits, and get waking. Do you have a dog? I would be he would love taking it for walks ????.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great! You could see if he wants to do any sports. My boys have been in Tae kwon do since they were 4. They are now 12, 10 and 8! One black belt and 2 red belts that will be testing for their black belts next year!

I have seen many overweight kids over the years and watched them all blossom into healthy young people with the training and as they grew!

Keep up the good work!

:flowerforyou:
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    While not overweight, I do have one extremely food motivated kid. He knows fruit and veggies are anytime snacks that he can always have. We always give him a balanced meal with fruit and veggies- he knows that extra servings only happen after his fruit and veggie portions are gone. But- that it is completely ok to leave food uneaten. Also we try to get active as a family as often as possible.

We talk about only eating when you are hungry and not just when it tastes good. Also, he would be worried that we would eat food before he had a chance to if he waited. Because of that we always leave a portion for him without eating it all ourselves. This way it reinforces that it is ok to wait and eat something later....it will be there.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Listen to the doctor. Make sure he's active and teach him the right choices but don't restrict calories, he's still growing and needs the nutrition.

Exactly. Keep him active, but keep him fed with wholesome foods. You're on the right path!! Be sure to be an example to him as well.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't have have kids, but I can tell you what bugged me as an overweight kid, which might help you decide how to deal with his weight. But, to start off, you are doing the right thing in changing your own eating habits, cooking so that you know what goes into the food, practicing moderation, and setting limits on treats for him (and any other kids you might have?).

As an adult, I can clearly say that these things really affected my self esteem:

*Father making comments about how fat I was.
    *Mother telling me I wasn't fat (even though I was 5 ft. and weighed 145 pounds at 12, and then 5 ft 4 in high school and weighed 200 pounds)
    *Waking up in the wee hours and hearing my parents arguing over me being fat.
    *Being told I couldn't eat something when everyone else could, and them eating in front of me talking about how good it was
    *Being told to exercise rather than my parents doing exercise activities with me.

Please listen to your doctor and do not make his weight the focus, but continue practicing and teaching moderation. He's still growing, so don't put him on a diet either. He just might learn to make those healthier choices for himself as he grows up.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing you can do for kids is to get them moving! Enroll them in a group sport or take a class through your local rec center. My daughter takes a tumbling class and she loves to play in the backyard. My daughter eats the way my husband and I eat; lots of veggies, lean proteins, and the occasional treat. We decided to get healthy shortly after she was born. We realized we were not setting a good example and so we changed out lives before she got old enough to notice. I imagine it is a bit more difficult with an older kid, but don't give up!
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    that it is completely ok to leave food uneaten. Also we try to get active as a family as often as possible.

that it is ok to wait and eat something later....it will be there.

Neither of these concepts was taught to me when I was younger. Nor was an active lifestyle--Both my parents grew up very poor on farms, so NEVER having to sweat was a privilege. I think these 3 things would make quite the difference for a kid.
  • Danwantsskinniness
    Options
    The leading cause of adult obesity is childhood obesity. Once fat cells are on our bodies, they never go away. They shrink, but they never go away, making it harder for those who lose weight to keep it off. If you can find a way to make the healthier option seem like the more fun option, perhaps that will help. Good luck with your new lifestyle and I hope this helps!
  • pamcris
    pamcris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great! If you still feel like he needs more help, then enroll him into a sport/activity. If you can't afford it, then you can go with him every weekend to the park and play soccer or some sport that requires a lot of movement for a couple of hours. You could maybe get a basketball hoop outside your house and play with him. The great thing about doing everything as a family is that he'll feel supported and you'll also get some extra calories burned.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You could use games like Wii Fit, Wii sport or just dance to get him more active. None of them will feel like a workout and in his eyes are just games. If you have a dog, or even if you don't, you could start taking morning of evening walks as a family. During the walks you could have a "race" to certain points to incorporate some running or jogging and it will be run because what child doesn't like to win? You could also see if he would like to join a sport. There are so many I'm sure he'd be interested in one of them.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    I agree with posters who say keep him active. You are modelling good behavior and that goes a long way. Allowing him a treat is good. Keep providing healthy food choices. What has helped my oldest, he is the only overweight one, is to limit his non-water drinks. Soda, juice and milk all add calories that don't fill them up, so they end up overconsuming calories. This will help cut unnecessary calories and leave calories to be governed by appetite as they should be.

Keep doing this, and he'll likely grow into the weight. As in he will get taller, but his weight will stay the same. That is what mine is doing. He has grown in inches, but his weight has dropped 2lbs since soccer season started.
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!! I am trying very hard to make the right changes and be a better mom for him!! We never let him know he is overweight but I have heard kids make some comments. We tell him he is handsome and that he is big and strong like his dad. His dad used to try and make him clean his plate but I put a stop to that real quick. I try to start with small portions and if he wants more he can have some after his veggies are all gone. He loves fruit and veggies so that helps. We were a fast food family for a long time then we realized that not only were we all obese but we were broke all the time! Its amazing how much money we have saved but cutting out fast food. I have put that towards my grocery shopping. He loves to swim so I'm going to see if I can find a program at the Y for him. I take him to workout with me at our apartment when his Dad is at work and he asks me why I'm working out and I tell him so I can be healthy and strong. I hope this will stick with him.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My advice is to listen to that doctor. It's crazy to put a 7yo on a diet. Just serve him healthy foods! He will learn good eating habits if he grows up that way and will be less likely to end up overweight as an adult.

As he grows, the fat will just disappear.

Encourage activity by having him play outside and signing him up for sports he'd like to play, but don't force it. Go for walks together.

And don't give this kid a weight complex. You don't have to talk to him about it at all. If he's fat, I promise you that other kids are already doing that. It isn't what he needs from you.

Just have him eat right. :)
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I was overweight as a kid, and my mom enrolled in me soccer. I felt kind of awkward at first (of course I was aware of my weight...I was an 11 year old girl) but I eventually got over it and began to love the sport. My mother also always had TONS of fresh fruit around. She also went on a weight loss thing herself which just sort of meant the whole family oriented toward better food.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My kids are not overweight - my eldest is 5, not far off 4 feet tall and 44lbs.

I'd say the best thing to do is keep active. We walk pretty much everywhere, and tend to take the kids out on their scooters at the weekend. My eldest is at school now so we walk to school, then 3 days a week my 3 year old goes to nursery, so we then walk the mile there.

I'm on maternity leave now, but when I go back to work (and have more money) I plan on taking my 2 eldest to gymnastics and swimming lessons.

They'd been talking about healthy eating in my son's class last year, so he always asks about what's healthy and what's unhealthy, and is very aware of that now, which is great, and it means my 3 year old is also aware.

We eat food mainly from scratch anyway, rarely any convenience foods, so they're used to it. We have a treat at the weekend, usually something I bake, and I let the kids choose what I make.

They also love smoothies, which are a great way to get fruit in. I just chuck banana, frozen mango and frozen blueberries in the blender. For them it's like a treat.

They only drink water or milk, except at a party. They do have the occasional hot chocolate babyccino when we're out.
    I agree that modelling behaviour is great too.....walk a lot, eat well, let kids see you exercising.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You are off to a good start, as you know, it starts in the kitchen. Children these days don't get outside as much as we use to. Family outings to the park are a great idea additionally, I would start incorporating weekend hikes with the whole family. Lead by example.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Dont make a big deal over his weight, this way his feelings and self perception are not hurt; he is only 7. Implement sports and lean meats, eliminate soda and candies; allow every now and then. He will eventually grow into his height and normal weight. I have three boys,my oldest was the same way. He when he was younger, he is now 14, lean and tall.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Work on your own health and his health will follow.

If you buy healthy food and cook healthy meals, he will have no choice but to eat healthy food. Limit the availability of unhealthy snacks, but don't eliminate them entirely. Make fast food an occasional treat and not an every day occurrence. When you order fast food, exercise portion control -- don't order a super sized meal or two burgers for him -- a kids meal is enough for a kid.

Engage in activity every day -- hike, bike, go to the park and work out while he plays, play catch, walk the dogs, sign him up for karate, football, soccer or another sport. Go swimming together.

Teach him about "calories in/calories out" and coach him to eat at least 3 servings of fresh fruits and veggies every day. Limit seconds for everyone.

Don't focus on his weight. Focus on family health instead.