Why is sugar the devil?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    bandit8it wrote: »
    If you want to understand why sugar is problematic, watch the documentary FED UP. The safe threshold for sugar is 5 tsp per day. Moat people get more than that in their morning cereal. Sugar puts the liver and pancreas into overload, forcing them to convert the excess sugar into, you guessed it, FAT. The documentary explains the mechanism much better than I can. Leslie (above) also explained some of the process.
    There are also market forces which contribute to WHY we are not given this information (USDA is paid to promote us agriculture, such as dairy, corn (ie high fructose corn syrup), beet sugar, and simple grains). This is a direct conflict of interest with their role as nutrition consultants to the American Dietetics Assn. Lobbyists heavily fund nutrition research, creating a conflict of interest. Do you begin to see the problem? I work in this field...there is lots that is problematic. DO you know the daily USDA recommendation for sugar in your diet? 25% of calories. Doesn't that seem a bit off? Sugar provides NO nutritional value, and wreaks havoc on everything from your teeth to your blood glucose, yet it is a recommendation for 25% of your daily calories? Be a smart consumer. Educate yourself. Watch Fed UP. Watch Forks over Knives. Read Dr. Furman, Eat to Live. Sugar from time to time, even in excess, is fine, but most Americans daily consumption is far in excess of a safe level.
    Sensationalist documentaries and conspiracy theories oh my!

don't forget the government conspiracies to make us all fat either!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lolabluola wrote: »
    It's fine probably for most people that can control themselves around it - totally wasn't me - so to lose weight i just avoided it as much as possible and tried to get as much veggies and stuff in place sugar and breads - now that i did that for about two years and lost weight and run and work out - I've learned some control my insane sugar love and can for the most part moderate my intake :) I'm not even exaggerating, i would crave sugar and bread it was bad. :blush: probably not the most nutritious thing :smiley:

why is bread "bad"..?

you realize that vegetables are a carb and,hence, contain sugar, right?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    It's fine probably for most people that can control themselves around it - totally wasn't me - so to lose weight i just avoided it as much as possible and tried to get as much veggies and stuff in place sugar and breads - now that i did that for about two years and lost weight and run and work out - I've learned some control my insane sugar love and can for the most part moderate my intake :) I'm not even exaggerating, i would crave sugar and bread it was bad. :blush: probably not the most nutritious thing :smiley:

why is bread "bad"..?

you shut your dirty mouth- we don't allow that kind of talk around here!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

I don't she is saying bread is bad... just that she could not control her intake.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

why is bread "bad"..?

I don't she is saying bread is bad... just that she could not control her intake.

maybe I am not reading that right but last sentence says "...bread it was bad"
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Some of the latest research shows that higher blood sugar levels can negatively affect the brain as you get older.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Unless you have certain health conditions, there's no reason to listen to that noise. Sugar is not "poison" as some alarmists suggest. Just ignore that nonsense, and eat sensibly, inside of your calorie limit and your nutrient needs. You'll find people saying sugar will kill you, wheat will kill you, carbs are evil, blah-blah-blah. Don't eat meat, eat practically nothing BUT meat.... anything that deviates from normal sensible balance is best ignored.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

I said the way I Craved bread and sugar was bad... like embarrassingly bad! not that IT was bad!! LOL

I think everyone knows veggies are carbs .... hmmm

just another way for me to create a calorie deficit and lose weight, worked for me as a way to do it.

nit pick much hahah <3 jk :blush:

totally shouldn't post on these! haha
  • ndj1979
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

I said the way I Craved bread and sugar was bad... like embarrassingly bad! not that IT was bad!! LOL

just another way for me to create a calorie deficit and lose weight, worked for me as a way to do it.

I just find it interesting that you are acting like one form of sugar is superior to another...vegetable good, other sugar "bad"....
  • lolabluola
    edited October 2014
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

I just find it interesting that you are acting like one form of sugar is superior to another...vegetable good, other sugar "bad"....

Ahhhhh I'm sorry you aren't understanding!
    I don't mean it like that! :neutral_face:
    Just that for me it got bad.

It was just a mind set to enable weightloss and lower my calories :)
    I was trying to say FOR ME - Veggies were good - I could eat a lot of veggies. Bread pasta candy icecream chips FOR ME were yes i guess you can say bad ONLY because dude I could totally eat way too many calories of that stuff very easily .....

I don't mean they are bad and will kill you and you will die and not ever be healthy and they are the devil

:(

• ndj1979
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

I was trying to say FOR ME - Veggies were good - I could eat a lot of veggies. Bread pasta candy icecream chips FOR ME were yes i guess you can say bad ONLY because dude I could totally eat way too many calories of that stuff very easily .....

I don't mean they are bad and will kill you and you will die and not ever be healthy and they are the devil

so you have some kind of medial condition that makes you sensitive to these things, I suppose?

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

How are you getting that from what she is saying?
  • lolabluola
    edited October 2014
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

so you have some kind of medial condition that makes you sensitive to these things, I suppose?

ahhahahahhaha nope! just love to eat those things too much haha :blush: which is how I gained weight. What am i saying exactly that you find to be wrong? I was just saying that my lack of will power and self control around those things was extreme... no medical condition. But I had to learn how to eat those things in moderation for weight loss and to be healthy....

thanks for making me feel really bad about my old lack of self control and will power and how i ended up there in the first place :(

what would have been your suggestion for me? moderation? well that's how I got to where I am now and how I can eat in moderation now....

that's all i was saying <3:(

p.s. I've been around on here long enough to know how this goes - I shouldn't have ever posted in the first place I know better.
  • lolabluola
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

thanks! I was stumped too!
  • ndj1979
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

because you state that you eat vegetables over bread, the implication is that the vegetable card is better than the bread carb...

I just think people get into trouble when you start labeling certain foods, macros, etc as good and bad...at the end of the day they are all just energy that your body utilizes for certain functions...

too much energy you gain weight; too little you lose weight...etc
  • lolabluola
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

because you state that you eat vegetables over bread, the implication is that the vegetable card is better than the bread carb...

I just think people get into trouble when you start labeling certain foods, macros, etc as good and bad...at the end of the day they are all just energy that your body utilizes for certain functions...

yeaup :)
    And like i said I was eating too much and over eating on certain things that I couldn't not control myself around - it was me that was 'bad' not the certain foods, so I had to switch up how I ate to fix the problem of "too much energy you gain weight; too little you lose weight...etc"

BTW I don't think i ever brought up 'carbs' and said i gave up 'carbs' I said breads and sugar were the things I had a problem with eating too much of.... just thought i'd point that out :)

i feel like we are saying the same things just in different ways honestly.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

why is bread "bad"..?

I eat bread, and sugar, and potatoes, and everything else.. but I do think this is a bit nit picky. Vegetables ARE better than bread for certain purposes: they're more nutrient and fiber rich, and they're lower in calories so you can eat them in larger quantities. When someone constantly craves bread and sugar, it IS bad for weight loss. Simply because those two usually come in high calorie packages and not being able to control yourself around them will result in ingesting extra calories.

Learning moderation is the key, but it has a learning curve, and some find it too hard. Cutting these foods out is a valid strategy for some, not because "they're bad", but because they're bad for that person's willpower.
  • drlaugh4u
    Options
    When I eat sugar, the sugar tells me to eat more sugar.
    With a history of diabetes in my family and my former weight gain, I find limiting it and not eating it in desert form, helpful for me. To each his or her own journey.
    Last week I celebrated 3500 days ODAT without a cookie. Cookies were my first abstinence items. Of course for a while after eliminating cookies, my other sugar sources shot up in consumption. A couple of days...make that years later I eliminated other sugary deserts. harris aka dr laugh
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    First rule of MFP Club: Don't say sugar, carbs, processed, or clean.

I don't see the problem in a person making their own personal limits for foods.

Some people have trigger foods. Eating more of them causes them to binge. That's the real world.

Carbs aren't inherently bad. But their effects on certain individuals could be negative to the point that their weight loss efforts are hampered. So while it is painfully obvious that weight loss is achieved by calorie deficit, the sustainability for some individuals isn't that easy. If it were, there wouldn't be a bunch of "I'm back on the wagon" or "I'm back at MFP" threads.

For carbohydrate sensitive folks: Limiting carbs->less triggers->smaller portions->lower calorie intake.

While many people find it easy to eat high-carbohydrate foods, others are not able to without succumbing to the drive to overeat them.

If something works for you, assuming that it should work for everyone is an error in logic.

Why people don't get this, is what I don't understand.

• Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is the same argument that goes on all the time! For me too much sugar is bad. My body is insulin resistant, so I had several fun possible futures if I didn't start controlling my sugars and carbs.
    Due to how my body handles carbohydrates, my triglycerides were terribly high. One way of controlling that without using medication is cutting out simple carbs and sugars. Even with medication they were getting out of control. And I ate healthy! My father had to have a massive open surgery to fix blockages in his abdominal aorta descending from his stomach down both legs due to cholesterol. Hmmm, I think low sugar is a better choice for me. By the way he is 6'3" and weighs about 165 lbs and this was when he was about 60. so, my genetics is against me. His younger siblings have another aspect of this problem which is type 2 diabetes. They are both insulin dependent. I don't want that either. And their mother (my grandmother) had dementia, which they now believe might be associated with your body being unable to process sugar properly. PCOS and insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome, whatever you want to call, it destroyed my fertility. I'm not going to let it destroy any more of my health.

And yes, eating low carb/sugar does usually create a caloric deficit. I log to ensure I eat enough at this point because I was losing weight far too fast.
    By the way, and I think someone has stated it already but I will again. The World Health Organization says we should have no more than 10% of total energy intake per day be sugar, ideally no more than 5%.

Have at it if you want. But please stop picking at those of us who can't or don't want to.