Why is sugar the devil?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    -food is ALWAYS there for you- even when you hate yourself for eating it.

No joke! Food was my best friend. With friends like that, who needs enemies...
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    <my not shocked fact>
    carbs are a calorie heavy food- so if you go low carb- you typically start to cut out heavy things like breads and pasta that are very high in calories.

not.shocked.

wait, so if you eat less calorie dense foods you lose weight…..?? enough with this witchery!

Shush that! You're ruining the magic with your logic. Geez! You can't let us have anything, can you.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    amelie2651 wrote: »
    @J72FIT, so I looked up the reference and it's not very strong evidence. The research that was referenced in that WebMD article was actually just a letter to the editor rather than a full research report -- as such it didn't include much raw data. There was a single figure that showed the weight loss over time in the two groups. Looks like the lines cross around the two year mark. It was the case that the low carb group was at a higher mean weight at 36 months but the difference between the two groups was not statistically significant (which I note was left out of that WebMD piece -- nice journalism). There's no information about whether or not the groups were still adhering to their randomly assigned diets from three years prior.

Finally, just because I can't resist -- this trial slays me because the original trial design was to carb restrict one group but *not* calorie restrict them vs a low fat diet that was calculated to created a 500 calorie/d deficit. And the low carb-ers significantly out-lost the low fat group in the first year. Hilarious.

At the end of the day, best way to fat loss is negative energy balance. There is no best way for all, only the best way for the individual. That best way is whatever they can adhere to and enjoy. You can find 10 different studies and get 10 different possible solutions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    <my not shocked fact>
    carbs are a calorie heavy food- so if you go low carb- you typically start to cut out heavy things like breads and pasta that are very high in calories.

not.shocked.

wait, so if you eat less calorie dense foods you lose weight…..?? enough with this witchery!

I knoooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww we should burn someone over this!!!