What do you do to make exercise fun?

Options

Replies

• savoss986
    Options
    I just do it. Sometimes I like it, and other times I don't. For me, it comes down to what am I determined to do--lose weight, get healthy, and run a marathon or just keep getting bigger and bigger complete with achy joints and no breath. I want to set an example for my family and students. Having exercised a lot of the time feels better than doing the exercise.
  • kookooman333
    kookooman333 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try to do exercise disguised as fun. Hiking, mountain bike riding....when you're out with a friend or family member doing something that feels like an outing or an event, it doesn't feel like exercise. It also cuts down the days I *have* to do the tedious stuff like going to the gym. Having an exercise partner can help. Find a motivational friend or exercise partner and between the two of you someone will say "Hey let's do this" almost every day. Pretty soon it becomes so routine that it doesn't even seem like "working out" it's just something you do every day. I've been doing something almost every single day for two months and (sometimes skip a day) and I'm at the point now where I feel weird and bored if I *don't* exercise.
  • sunnybrook6905
    sunnybrook6905 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my Kindle. I prop that up on my stationery bike and ride away. I try to keep my reading to my bike only. It is "kind of" a reward. I recently started walking. It is difficult for me to get going but once I've been, I feel so much better. I'm determined!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much given up on exercise at this point--I've learned I really, really don't like it. Like, all forms of exercise.

But I'm curious, what do y'all do to make exercise fun or interesting? Types of exercise, music, strategies, you name it.

I'm guessing you have a very narrow definition of "exercise." Do what you enjoy doing. I love getting out and riding my bike and I enjoy lifting weights...so I primarily do those things. I also enjoy hiking and I like swimming in the summer. I also like taking my dog for a walk.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    mank32 wrote: »
    But I'm curious, what do y'all do to make exercise fun or interesting?

I don't. I choose exercise that is already fun/interesting to me.

I'm lucky because I love running.
    Skateboarding is cooler than running but not quite as good of a workout.
    Wiffleball is AWESOME.

You're going about it backwards. Don't think "This is exercise, and it needs to be fun."
    Think, "I'm going to find something fun to do that makes me sweat."

See, my problem is that nothing that makes me sweat is fun for me. I'm the kind of person that finds quiet, sedentary activities fun--nothing else.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    mydoc3 wrote: »
    I do Zumba mostly. And now I have a friend that I am walking with in the evenings. Zumba makes me want to burn calories though. It doesn't feel like work. :)

I do like Zumba, but now that I'm away at school I can't do it anymore. :(
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I love training. I love lifting heavy and I love group step, spin and yoga classes.... so no need to try to make it more fun becaus eit is already awesome
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    mydoc3 wrote: »
    I do Zumba mostly. And now I have a friend that I am walking with in the evenings. Zumba makes me want to burn calories though. It doesn't feel like work. :)

I do like Zumba, but now that I'm away at school I can't do it anymore. :(

Why not? Many gyms, schools, and dance studios offer Zumba classes. Or you could get Zumba dvds. Or you could watch Zumba videos on youtube.

You have lots of options.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    What I want to do is have a season of a TV show that I REALLY want to watch ready to go on my phone. And the catch is, I can only watch it while doing the exercises I find 'boring' in the gym (walking, stationary bike).

I figure if it gets me in the gym for 45 minutes at a time, or 1.5 hours if there's a cliffhanger, I can't complain!

That's what I do. I bike outside as much as possible and I don't need to "bribe" myself for that. But I save certain television shows for indoor days. And if I swim, I spend a little time in the steam room/sauna at the gym afterward as a reward.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Wiffleball is AWESOME.

You're going about it backwards. Don't think "This is exercise, and it needs to be fun."

See, my problem is that nothing that makes me sweat is fun for me. I'm the kind of person that finds quiet, sedentary activities fun--nothing else.

stop trying to amuse yourself with things that aren't for your amusement.

Working out is for working out- sure you can entertain yourself WHILE you do it- but sometimes the thing that gets done can be rewarding by itself.

I love to sew- I do a lot laborious hand work on dance costumes- it's not fun. No one thinks it's fun. Be we love doing it- so we do it- and when we get done with it we love our product.

I don't have "FUN" lifting- it's hard- I hurt myself- and I'm in pain. Same with dance- It's hard- I cry- I struggle- I feel incompetent and stupid and helpless- I sweat and I Think my arms are going to fall off- it is not. FUN.- it's not a game- it's not entertainment- it's how I make myself better- and I LOVE both of those things- and I could and will not EVER EVER give them up.

Find something you like to do- it isn't FUN- but something that's interesting that you could get better at- fencing- rock climbing- swimming- walking- zumba- bowka horse back riding- kayaking- try something- do something.

sitting around is great and all-but life is a multifaceted event- you should attack it from all sides.
    and get over you aversion to sweat- that's just weird.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much given up on exercise at this point--I've learned I really, really don't like it. Like, all forms of exercise.

But I'm curious, what do y'all do to make exercise fun or interesting? Types of exercise, music, strategies, you name it.

Keep trying different things, and then try some more.

The biggest factor for me was....maintenance.

I have lost weight & gained it back. I only exercised when I was actively trying to lose. No more.....I need to be more active to maintain the weight I lost....or eat less forever.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

No offense intended--I used to say the same thing--but you need to adjust your mindset a little. Do you brush your teeth? Is that "fun"? I don't love brushing my teeth and flossing, but I'd feel terrible and have bleeding gums if I didn't do it. Do you have a job? Is that "fun"? Personally, sometimes I'm really satisfied by my work, and sometimes I'm just doing it to get it done, and exercise is the same way.

Also, as several people have pointed out, broaden your definition of exercise. You don't need to be sweating buckets. Get out and go for a walk. Do your errands on foot rather than by car. Ride your bike somewhere rather than driving. Dance in your living room.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Wiffleball is AWESOME.

Working out is for working out- sure you can entertain yourself WHILE you do it- but sometimes the thing that gets done can be rewarding by itself.

I love to sew- I do a lot laborious hand work on dance costumes- it's not fun. No one thinks it's fun. Be we love doing it- so we do it- and when we get done with it we love our product.

I don't have "FUN" lifting- it's hard- I hurt myself- and I'm in pain. Same with dance- It's hard- I cry- I struggle- I feel incompetent and stupid and helpless- I sweat and I Think my arms are going to fall off- it is not. FUN.- it's not a game- it's not entertainment- it's how I make myself better- and I LOVE both of those things- and I could and will not EVER EVER give them up.

Find something you like to do- it isn't FUN- but something that's interesting that you could get better at- fencing- rock climbing- swimming- walking- zumba- bowka horse back riding- kayaking- try something- do something.

sitting around is great and all-but life is a multifaceted event- you should attack it from all sides.

I'm stealing this line. :drinker:
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Walking with a friend or my SO is the only "fun" exercise I do.

I have some great music on the ipod for my morning cardio. And I always feel kinda virtuous when I finish lifting, like "Got through another session, now that's over with for today". Lol.

Mostly, it's not fun... but neither is brushing my teeth, and I've been doing that faithfully for a lot longer... and about a thousand other "not fun" things that I do because they're good for me.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I found exercises I enjoy and have goals. I like to play certain sports, so other exercises help me play those sports better. I play football and softball because I enjoy the social aspect.

I don't like gyms, so I don't go to them.

I run, but only do that outside, in parks, where I can enjoy the scenery. I don't run in my own neighborhood if I can help it because I find that tedious (necessary evil at times). I sign up for races, as they give me a goal to aim for.

I weight lift because I really enjoy that as my strength training. It feels good to be strong. But, not liking gyms or sharing equipment, I saved and bought my own and lift at home.

Personally, I think everyone can find something physical they enjoy and turn it into a good workout. Your tastes may change over time, as well.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercise. I don't like not having Lucky Charms at every meal. I don't like going to work every day. I didn't like not getting a decent night's sleep for 2 years while I was in grad school and working full time.

But I like being poor and fat even less than all those things, so I exercise frequently, eat right 90% of the time, and go to work most days.

But to answer the question, I listen to podcasts while I work out.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I work my *kitten* off so I don't have time to worry about whether I'm liking it or not :o I *really* like how it feels when I'm done, though. I also just genuinely enjoy running and the kickboxing class I do. I also like to eat, so working out gets me extra calories...

It might help to set up a reward system of some sort. Promise yourself something small when you work out 5 of 7 days in a week (or whatever your goal is). You may actually begin to like, or at least appreciate, the time you spend exercising once you're in the habit of it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Wiffleball is AWESOME.

I'm stealing this line. :drinker:
    steal away.:D

It's definitely a mini mantra of mine!!! just gotta get it gurl!
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I listen to books on my Ipod which takes my mind off the workout. Exercise is just not fun for me - with the exception of walking early in the morning in the country! I could do that forever when the weather is nice.

This has been the best thing for me as well. I used to feel like I was wasting time exercising because my mind wasn't occupied (yes, I admit I am a nerd). Once I started with audiobooks, I love going to the gym. It is my "me" time to "read."

But admittedly the one down side is when I was listening to Janet Evanovich, I would burst out laughing. That was a little embarrassing. :smiley:

When I am at a gym that offers wifi, I have also used netflix on my phone to catch up with a show I wanted to watch--again it felt like I was getting more accomplished than just the workout and that mentality worked for me.

When I first started working out though, I found a couple of Jillian Michaels DVDs at a used bookstore. Her 30 day shred workouts are only like 20 minutes. I figured I could commit to that much time even if I didn't call it fun. And they are intense--so I definitely felt it the next day and saw results. So maybe something faster will be more appealing to you? I also found doing it at home first was much better for me (I didn't feel so intimidated).
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Music helps me a lot. Also not dying or having to call DH to come get me because I cramped has actually made me pretty excited lately. I finish a "run" and the endorphins go into overdrive and I feel awesome as hell!