What Book Are You Reading?

Options

Replies

• rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Racconti Italiani, which is a collection of short stories in Italian with the english translations on the opposite page... I'm really trying to learn the language, but it is slow going!!
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Just rereading the posts looking for some inspiration. I saw someone else mentioned Barbara Kingsolver. If you haven't read The Poisonwood Bible, I highly recommend it. I almost missed a flight because I was so engrossed in it!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    The last book I read was "Blow" by Bruce Porter. I saw the movie with Johnny Depp, and wanted to read the book. My favorite author is Stephen King though. My favorite book of his is "The Stand", the uncut version.
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Wow... yeh I don't read unless it's closed captioning
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I made it to book 9 the first time and then got busy and forgot about them. they're so complicated that I had to start over from the beginning so I could remember everyone's names and who they are! :laugh:

I'm looking forward to a little me time with book #6 while I'm on vacation.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The Minds of Billy Milligan

True Story of a boy that had 24 multiple personalities.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    Kite Runner..
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly getting through my summer list, but right now I am on The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

That was really good, creepy, but good!

I just read a brain twinkie by Clive Cussler; the Treasure of Khan. It definitely is fluffy but his books are really fun.

Now I'm on to heartier stuff with a very inspiring book written by a Quaker lady in the 1800's "The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life." And trying to finish "Three Men in a Boat."
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    After wanting to read this forever, I've finally started the 1st book in the Left Behind series. I can't seem to put it down.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I recommend anything by Kurt Vonnegut if you want your world shaken up.
    The stories are usually very short and fast paced and jump all over.
    The Sirens of Titan and Timequake are some of my favorites.
    They blow my mind.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    After wanting to read this forever, I've finally started the 1st book in the Left Behind series. I can't seem to put it down.

Oh good luck with that notion!!! I would read until 2 or 3 in the morning I was so hooked!! And having to wait for the next one was pure torture!!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I know I'm probably alone or in the company of a select few on this:tongue:

Advanced Inorganic Chemistry 5th edition by Cotton and Wilkinson.
    I know, some swear by the 6th edition by Cotton, Murillo, and Bochmann, but I really like the 5th edition.

For relaxation reading I just read Windy City Blues by Sara Paretsky.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I know, some swear by the 6th edition by Cotton, Murillo, and Bochmann, but I really like the 5th edition.

You never know. My son is taking chemistry this semester. I'll check.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options

You never know. My son is taking chemistry this semester. I'll check.

Cool, it's a terrific reference book. It took me awhile to track down a copy of the 5th edition for sale. Then I had to leave it outside for six months to air out because it smelled so bad. :laugh:

Best of luck to your son.
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    Oh! I just caught this thread! I'm always trolling for good books. I usually have two going at once. I try to alternate b/w "popular" fiction and classics.

My current "pop" fiction is The Scrapbook (a novel of friendship and love) by Peggy Baker. LOVE IT!!!!!!

My "classic" is The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. AWESOME!!!

I feel like I hit the lottery with both books. I will be referencing this list for future inspirations . . .
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I'm reading Phil Pullman's His Dark Materials series..I just finished The Golden Compass and I'm now working on The Subtle Knife. It's really good so far..I'm hoping to finish all three books before school starts in 4 weeks!!
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm reading A Brief History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Now I'm reading Assassins (book #6 in the Left Behind series) by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins. Can't believe I'm already on book #6! They're so hard to put down.
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    reading?
    i have time to read?
    :sad:
    i dont have any time to read anything other than what uni prescribes

i miss those lazy sunday afternoon basking in the sun back home
    reading
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The Gathering Storm, Book 1 of Winston Churchill's 6-book series "The Second World War." It's heavy historical reading, but worthwhile for its ample proof that appeasement is bad foreign policy. Churchill is also a masterful writer. He won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1953.