Do we all become narcissistic when we reach our goal?

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
Seriously when we get "skinny" or "healthy" or however you want to describe it, are we all going to take mass amounts of pictures of ourselves? Flex in every shiny surface? Have the "self photographs" posted on every blog and website we can? I sure hope I don't become so self involved that I have to ask "do I look fat in this" and I'm a size 6...

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered the same thing! I really hope not!! I know after all that hard work I definitely will want to flaunt it more and be way more confident. Just hope I don't come across as too full of myself.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    People who ask that are self-conscious... when you reach your goal you'll be so confident in your body and your abilities that you won't need to =)
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Maybe...I am self-conscious no matter my size. So if I ask do I look fat in this I really mean it!!!! However MFP is the only place I feel comfortable posting pics and I doubt I will post that.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Yep - I flex like a mad woman every morning in front of the mirror while getting ready for work.
    And I love it!
    Call it narsissistic - I think of it as enjoying all of my hard work.

Oh - and I still have body issues - even if I'm thin.
    LOL
    I'm a total freak!
    Love it!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Personally I love seeing those photos and hearing the stories. I find it inspiring and motivating.

Also, I don't think its narcissistic to be proud of your accomplishments.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Seriously when we get "skinny" or "healthy" or however you want to describe it, are we all going to take mass amounts of pictures of ourselves? Flex in every shiny surface? Have the "self photographs" posted on every blog and website we can? I sure hope I don't become so self involved that I have to ask "do I look fat in this" and I'm a size 6...

I already hit my goals for the most part... I do find myself mooning ppl a little more than I used to!
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Then again, some of us have worked hard to lose the weight and are still working hard to get toned the way we want and are taking progress pictures along the way.

It seems very hard to say what would constitute Narcissism vs just posting weekly/bi-weekly/monthly update pics.

I do post updates and I certainly hope I'm not coming across that way. I post the images to show my friends and myself that I'm still trying and that I AM making progress.

If I offend anyone, then I'm sorry, but I'm still working hard to get where I want to be.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Personally I love seeing those photos and hearing the stories. I find it inspiring and motivating.

Also, I don't think its narcissistic to be proud of your accomplishments.

ditto :)
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    If someone has lots of pictures especially right after they hit goal it's more of a "oh gosh.....I did it! I actually did it! " kind of thing. I am proud of what I've done but my struggles didn't go away when I made my first goal so being full of myself never entered the picture.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    Well, it can happen a little.

When I weighed over 300 pounds I would never allow pictures of me.
    When I got down to 165 (my lightest since I was 11 years old) I became a camera ham- and remain one now. I'm sure when I get to my actual goal weight I'll be even worse.
    In a way it comes from regretting that I missed out on keeping record of a portion of my life because I was so ashamed of myself for how I looked- now I want to make sure that my part in my life is very well documented :)
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like when people post their photos. It is inspirational! As for the "do I look fat and I am a size 6": I don't believe the majority of people are being narcissistic. I think it is very common for individuals to feel uncomfortable in their own skin after being heavy. In fact there are thin people that are uncomfortable in their skin for one reason or another. If it bothers you, don't look at the before and afters. Easy enough! :)
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I am currently a size 6, 140lbs and insecure. I'm insecure due to the fact that I have cellulite and since its something that doesn't go away I will always be insecure. I don't think I would be considered self absorbed because I ask "do I look fat in this?"...because the fact is that if you have anything that can roll or pooch over jeans, etc that IS our fat and yes a size 6 can look better in different jeans or a different dress. I think there are those who KNOW with out a doubt they look good, but there are those who are like me...insecure and struggling w/ it and have been since I was in Jr. High, but I don't make ppl think I am fishing for compliments cause Im not...im just expressing how I feel
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    People should post thier pics. It lets people like me know that it is possible.
  • mrscates
    Options
    THANKS! This is how I feel.
    I like when people post their photos. It is inspirational! As for the "do I look fat and I am a size 6": I don't believe the majority of people are being narcissistic. I think it is very common for individuals to feel uncomfortable in their own skin after being heavy. In fact there are thin people that are uncomfortable in their skin for one reason or another. If it bothers you, don't look at the before and afters. Easy enough! :)
  • mrscates
    Options
    I agree with that too!
    People should post thier pics. It lets people like me know that it is possible.
  • mrscates
    Options
    I agree with this too. I think its a normal thing!
    Well, it can happen a little.

When I weighed over 300 pounds I would never allow pictures of me.
    When I got down to 165 (my lightest since I was 11 years old) I became a camera ham- and remain one now. I'm sure when I get to my actual goal weight I'll be even worse.
    In a way it comes from regretting that I missed out on keeping record of a portion of my life because I was so ashamed of myself for how I looked- now I want to make sure that my part in my life is very well documented :)
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    How did you lose your baby weight so fast? I have been trying like crazy for months. I do realize that I had twins and they are only 9 months old but geeze it is taking me forever.
  • mrscates
    Options
    NOT offending me! I post pics because I am proud of myself and love the fact that others can see it IS possible!
    Then again, some of us have worked hard to lose the weight and are still working hard to get toned the way we want and are taking progress pictures along the way.

It seems very hard to say what would constitute Narcissism vs just posting weekly/bi-weekly/monthly update pics.

I do post updates and I certainly hope I'm not coming across that way. I post the images to show my friends and myself that I'm still trying and that I AM making progress.

If I offend anyone, then I'm sorry, but I'm still working hard to get where I want to be.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't think it necessarily means that you are self-absorbed. It doesn't mean that we're insecure. It means that we're proud. And I enjoy to see people post their pictures. I enjoy to hear people's stories about how hard they worked to get where they are at. It's people like that who show everyone else that their own goals are attainable. I do look in every mirror. I do flex sometimes. I do tell people my story. I never used to be this way. I used to be uncomfortable with myself. And now I'm happy. End of story!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Well said!

I agree with everyone on here. It's motivational. And, if I can help one person to know that it's doable and that maybe it gives them the little push to workout today even if they don't want to, then I have done what I feel like I need to do. My fitness is not just for myself, but to share with those around me. Not to make them feel bad about themselves, but to show them that anything is possible.