Doesn't anyone each fruit and veg anymore?

Options

Replies

• runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Agreed re: years or generations.

I'm sure there must be some U.S government funded study of somnambulistic eating somewhere that these people could sign up for and get some help with their problem. The subconscious is likened to a computer---garbage in, garbage out. Reprogramming the subconscious is science, not science fiction and it is one of the keys to successful weightloss and maintenance afterward.

Needing to repeat myself: "This post was started to speak to the LARGER portion of the population."

"Reprogramming" does not require "expensive therapy". Chapter 1 of Tom Venuto's book: Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle (my weightloss bible) speaks to this topic exactly. He cites studies that show only 5% of people set goals and strive toward them using positive re-enforcement techniques. He goes on to point out that it's no surprise that 95% of dieters struggle to keep the weight off.

Check out a book review: http://www.fitnesstipsforlife.com/burn-the-fat-feed-the-muscle-complete-review.html
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are pretty much all I eat...with a few whole grains....
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    just curious, I always eat fresh asparagus, is the frozen any good?

I've tried a few frozen asparagus - seems to depend a LOT on the brand. I've had some that were awful (green giant) and some that was certainly not like fresh, but pretty good (pictsweet).

Thanks.. I always eye the Trader Joes brand. It is just so expensive and not the best qualtiy in the winter. Maybe I will try it.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :

. It's so unfortunate how much MFP message boards have changed for the worse since I joined a while ago.
    Frankly I think the site has vastly improved and the more new ppl we have the more diverse the site becomes, which is a wonderful thing. Some years back when first on here, it was not nearly so advanced nor ppl open to new things and new ppl, it's always refreshing to see new faces and ppl excited to change their lives.

Change is good..:wink::flowerforyou:
  • chribis
    Options
    I also eat lots of veggies and fruit. I was also reading an article the other day explaining that frozen fruits and veggies can be a great replacement for fresh, if you are unable to get fresh fruits and veggies.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I completely agree! Every once in a while I'll peek at someone's food diary and suprised how many people use their calories on junk. Lots of starchy processed carbs and sugars.

I eat clean, so fruits and veggies are part of everyday for me. They've been here all along and are 10x better than anything man made!
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Our weight, as an adult, is therefore our choice, consciously or subconsciously. I would be happy to hear from adult who thinks that what they weigh is the fault of someone else.

Just a question (and not to cause ****, really just a question) How is our weight our choice if it is something subconscious? That implies that it is NOT something we are aware of. And while yes, people could stop eating things they may be eating something due to a trauma that occured in their early life leading to an unquenchable desire for something. Also, (just to play devils advocate) there are people who have parasomnia (specifically NS-RED though sometimes listed in individuals as an ED-NOS) who have no control over what they are eating as it happens when they sleep.
    I do appreciate that there are a (very very) small number of people impacted as you not, but I am referring (with a broad brush) to the vast majority of overweight, obese, and morbidly obese (and I think we all know the frightening stats).

I think we need to bring to front of mind those subconscious eating habits. A good book that helps with this (and it certainly helped me understand the eating I did without realizing it) is "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink (my other half read this first and highly recommended it to me).

It shows how we can eat a lot of calories without thinking, how we don't remember all we have eaten, and can't measure (by eye) correct portions. It is quite an eye opener.
  • winningthin
    winningthin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've lost 39lbs over the past eight months, exercise regularly, drink plenty of water, eat what I want in moderation and most certainly recognize the value of eating fruits and veggies. I enjoy them immensley and am sure others on this site do as well. It is difficult to maintain at one's desired weight without a love for healthy foods like fruits and veggies.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Veggies with every meal is a normal thing now. Fruit is my new "dessert." Eating 5 meals a day(every 3 hours), I'm getting plenty of both veggies and fruit. With all the cardio I do, I need all the vitamins and nutrients in the fruits and veggies.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I do!!! Although I keep my food diary private just because it's my preference. :bigsmile: I eat *clean* foods and a TON of veggies and fruits. My salads are BIG salads!!

I agree that the majority of Americans don't eat enough fruits and veggies. And now that the New Year's *resolutions* have begun, you see all of the store ads emphasizing their *healthy* foods on sale. Like Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice and other highly processed frozen convenience meals, Weight Watchers items, Diet Sodas, Special K and other sugary cereals, Fiber One bars, *low fat* ice cream??? And don't forget the sugary Slim Fast! Seriously?? Those are *diet* foods??? :noway: Come on, when are they going to start advertising the fruits, veggies, oatmeal, brown rice, organic foods, Greek yogurts, etc on sale??

Sorry, my little rant of the day too. People don't like to eat healthy and heaven forbid that they make their kids eat their fruits and veggies too!! :noway: My girls have no choice but to eat their fruits and veggies. My hubby and I lead by example though, we eat healthy foods and expect no less from our kids. Rant over. :laugh:
  • bounce0033
    Options
    My trainer talked me into joining this site and I have changed my diet from an Atkins based diet to more balance. I feel much better as a result :-) Vege's and Fruit are a must in my diet (as I eat celery while writing this).
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    just curious, I always eat fresh asparagus, is the frozen any good?

I've tried a few frozen asparagus - seems to depend a LOT on the brand. I've had some that were awful (green giant) and some that was certainly not like fresh, but pretty good (pictsweet).

Thanks.. I always eye the Trader Joes brand. It is just so expensive and not the best qualtiy in the winter. Maybe I will try it.
    The Trader Joe's frozen asparagus is actually pretty good. I've used some to put in an omelet as well as eat by itself.
  • lovetowrite73
    Options
    Sorry, my little rant of the day too. People don't like to eat healthy and heaven forbid that they make their kids eat their fruits and veggies too!! :noway: My girls have no choice but to eat their fruits and veggies. My hubby and I lead by example though, we eat healthy foods and expect no less from our kids. Rant over. :laugh:
    My 7-year-old always asks me if he can have chips or cookies (his dad buys that stuff) and I tell him no, but there are bananas, apples and oranges! He always heeds my not-so-subtle hints and eat them up. I ask him all the time: don't you feel GREAT after eating that? He laughs and says yes. My children will eat up bananas and grapes like nobody's business so I guess I can be happy about that.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My 7-year-old always asks me if he can have chips or cookies (his dad buys that stuff) and I tell him no, but there are bananas, apples and oranges! He always heeds my not-so-subtle hints and eat them up. I ask him all the time: don't you feel GREAT after eating that? He laughs and says yes. My children will eat up bananas and grapes like nobody's business so I guess I can be happy about that.

Good for you! My girls get at least 2 fruits in their lunches every day and ask for fruit for a snack. I try to keep plenty of it around (which means lots of trips to the store, but that's ok!). Clementines and grapefruits right now are a big hit along w/ the usual apples, pears, bananas... unfortunately my hubby has an apple AND banana allergy so he eats plenty of citrus and other fruits that he can eat. Grapes... forget about it. They're gone as soon as I wash them and put them out for them to eat! :laugh: I bought a pineapple and mango y'day and they were gone as soon I sliced it up! :noway: I love it though!
  • lovetowrite73
    Options

Good for you! My girls get at least 2 fruits in their lunches every day and ask for fruit for a snack. I try to keep plenty of it around (which means lots of trips to the store, but that's ok!). Clementines and grapefruits right now are a big hit along w/ the usual apples, pears, bananas... unfortunately my hubby has an apple AND banana allergy so he eats plenty of citrus and other fruits that he can eat. Grapes... forget about it. They're gone as soon as I wash them and put them out for them to eat! :laugh: I bought a pineapple and mango y'day and they were gone as soon I sliced it up! :noway: I love it though!
    Doesn't it give you a sense of pride to see them eat like that? I admit, I was not very stringent in making sure they ate correctly as I'm just now starting this journey, but now as they see my eating habits change, so are theirs. I cook nearly every day and they LOVE it. I'm making lentil chili right now and I cannot wait to see how it goes over tomorrow. This healthy lifestyle thing is GREAT!!
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    One of my goals this year was to eat less processed foods. I buy all fruits and veggies and the nice part is they fill you up faster!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    lol Original poster, you are so right! I don't eat much fruit anymore because my fruit intake was getting very high. I've been slacking on my veggie intake so since the start of this week, I've been aiming for at least 2 veggies per day.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    3 words....I LOVE VEGGIES!!!!
  • MamboGyrl
    MamboGyrl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OMG: I live on Broccoli Slaw!! 3 small fruit portions a day. A portion is smaller than we think. A clementine, half apple.... etc. Fruit is needed, but we need to be aware of portion control because of the sugar content
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    To the people who are so uptight with this post....guys....build a bridge!!