Options

Replies

• SERIOUS2
    Options
    Please,I did not gain weight... the dryer shrunk my clothes:bigsmile:
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    "I can carry the weight" - Yeah, no. Muffin tops = you can't carry the weight.

Ahahaha! I totally came to that conclusion about myself in the same way. Ugh, muffin top.

"Muffin top" was on jeapordy tonight..haha :) Just thought i'd say something

Thats what i am struggling with right now..muffin back...haha...probably gross, sorry!
    Mine were always " Ive never been skinny, i probably wont ever be"
    " If i dont eat today, i can have 12 pizzas tomorrow ( not really 12....)
  • laurensmomma09
    laurensmomma09 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    well ive tried everything. ya right ... now im doing not trying!!
    also well its that time of the month... which would last almost the whole month becasue it was on its way... three weeks away .for shame. NOT no more
    great thread!!
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    you must have the same brand of dryer that I do!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Well, I just had a baby.

..............yea. 2 years ago.

:-O
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Why I could never lose weight (of course, not my fault):

1. Something must be physically wrong with me because I'm never hungry. Reality: I was eating all of the time and never allowed myself to get hungry.

2. I eat healthy and don't really eat that much anyway. Reality: just because I only take half of a donut doesn't make it a healthy choice; and don't forget grazing and foraging (you know, snacking off the family's plates as I clear the table).

3. A candy bar every day is not that bad. Reality: every day! Really?! What about the ice cream or (and) cookies later? How quickly I forgot.

4. I do sit ups so my stomach pouch must be a physical ailment. Reality: TOO MANY BAD CARBS AND SUGAR! (see #3)

5. I have a set point and can never go below it (again, convinced myself it was a physical thing). Reality: all in my head!

What about the rest of you? What lies/myths have you shattered?

Wow! What a great post...... great job!! :)
  • bluuea
    bluuea Posts: 13
    Options
    My lie: "I'm in the healthy range." Truth: I was always at the top or Over the healthy range. My lie: "With my medical conditions, it makes it so hard on my body to exercise and the medicine puts on weight, Truth: I know that exercise will actually make my body feel better once I've actually done it and the medicine had a little help from my complete lack of portion control. My lie: "As long as I am happy with myself, nothing else matters. Truth: I was not happy with myself.

Great Post! Thanks for sharing.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    "I'm depressed so I have every right to lay around and eat my sorrows away"...except they never go away using THAT approach.:embarassed:
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I can eat everything in sight today and I'll start dieting tomorrow.....hmmmm that took YEARS

AND

I worked out today, I can eat whatever I want, I deserve it.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    The Lies

My wife likes the chunky Teddy Bear look...
    I'm not having any health issue, yet.
    I'm Italian, eat is what we do.
    It's my mom's fault she was a great cook
    Fat but horse strong is better than skinny and weak..
    Everyone in my family is built like this...it's genetic
    I'm too old to fix this now

The Truths

I never really asked I just assumed
    BP, diabetic, i screwed myself
    Portion meant Plateful
    My mom was a great cook, I was damned glutton
    I was fit and strong and lost focus completely on what's important
    Everyone in my family has a sick love affair with food
    I am fixing this now
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't look that overweight. Reality: Um, yes you do. I saw a picture of me and knew it was time to start getting serious.

Yep that was me!

Me too! And...

** Not everybody can be skinny...I've been skinny and it didn't last so I need to learn to be happy with being a "big" girl
    (that thinking only works if you like being larger and it's not causing you health problems. Not exactly right for me!)

** I'm already fat, so what difference does it make if I gorge one more time?
    (it's never one more time and the fat just keeps on coming...)

** I'm so stressed out...do I really need to deprive myself of my only comfort too?
    (ummm...yeah...that's part of why you're stressed, depressed and otherwise unhappy)
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    How about this one?

Me and my friend Ginger while making cookies, brownies, whatever...."The kids won't eat the broken ones and they don't really count - they're just crumbs."

Do you have any idea how many "broken" cookies or brownies Gin and I consumed?!?! OMG! Ack!!!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Hmm...

1. I wear my weight well. -- Yes, I do...but that doesn't make it any more acceptable to be this heavy, and doesn't mean there isn't a point at which it looks and feels awful.

2. I'm tired because I'm a single mom. -- True, once in a while. But I neglected to mention the vicious cycle I put myself in. Poor eating habits = Lack of energy = Lack of exercise = Lack of sleep = Lack of energy = Poor eating habits (not feeling like cooking) = Lack of energy....you get the idea.

3. I'm healthy...compared to a lot of people. -- Well. Isn't this just the stupidest thing you've ever heard??? Yes, I'm healthy compared to a lot of people...dead people, people with fatal illnesses, people living in famine areas....... What's your point again?

4. I don't like to exercise. -- Not really. I was just too lazy (and tired, see #2) to find an exercise I enjoyed doing.

No more LIES!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My lies ...

That 10 extra pounds wasn't serious enough to take care of.
    That I have to lose the weight as fast as possible otherwise I'm a failure.
    That fruit and vegetable calories don't count.
    That I can have just one. (I can't)
    That this month's brand spanking new diet is THE ONE that'll hold the secret to weight loss.
    I can't live without _______.

on the other hand and perhaps the saddest ...

I would wait and do all the things I wanted to do "when I'm thin".

I'm 50. I've waited for decades to get out there and live my life.
    10 pounds would've been a helluva lot easier to take care of than 100.
    I've been *trying* to lose weight my entire adult life. If I would've lost 1/2 lb per month for all those years, I'd be thin now.
    My doctor was very put off that a major weight loss program is saying that fruit and veg cals are free. They're not. Calories are calories no matter what their source. She lost 85 lbs using MFP.
    There are certain foods that just set me off and I have to be adult enough to accept this. It's just food afterall.

Counting calories, exercising and discipline is what it takes to lose the weight permanently. And lots of patience and perseverance. Also accepting that it will be hard to say no when I want to say yes.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    3. I'm healthy...compared to a lot of people. -- Well. Isn't this just the stupidest thing you've ever heard??? Yes, I'm healthy compared to a lot of people...dead people, people with fatal illnesses, people living in famine areas....... What's your point again?

Bahahahahaha! Now THAT was funny. And sad. And true. I've said that a million times. :laugh:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Lie: I have lots of muscle and a heavy "frame".
    Lie: Cheese is healthy in moderation (and then she promptly ate half a block with a box of crackers).
    Lie: I have no clue where the scale is.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It's odd, I just sat here for a really long time trying to think of any lies I've told myself over the years and couldn't come up with any. I never really tried to convince myself that what I was doing was okay or that any of the unhealthy stuff I ate was really okay. I knew I was overweight, I knew I'd gained some of the weight working in an upscale grocery store and then packed on a few dozen more pounds when I got a desk job that always had food availble to eat, which I did, no matter how bad I knew it was. I skipped breakfast every morning cuz I didn't want to get up early enough to make it and often ate fast food for lunch and/or dinner simply because it was cheap and easy. I was ultimately just lazy. I knew what I needed to do to lose the weight and really just needed the motivation to finally do it.

That motivation came last March when I saw two friends at a party that had started counting calories with an app and running and they'd already lost about 15 pounds each and looked great. I downloaded the app they told me about, didn't like it so searched the app store for another and found MFP, liked it and started tracking the next day. :D
  • granitegirl
    Options
    LOL I used to tell myself that getting breakfast at McDonald's once or twice a week wasn't that bad. WOW! What a terrible lie!! : (
  • Jasdramaqueen
    Jasdramaqueen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I have to jump on the bandwagon...

Everyone gains weight as they gey older...

I exercise more than my friends and am still bigger than them so it must be natural weight!

I was taught never to waste food...

Food is love and by ordering a salad and no alcohol at a restaurant, I'm being antisocial and irritating!

I need to lose 20lb- have been doing this for a week now and slipped up twice but am focussing on the positive, such as completely cutting out diet pepsi which I've been drinking every day for 10 years...and eliminating caffeine which has also been a morning staple for the last 5 years. It's the small steps which I hope will make the difference- can't see it yet but am giving myself a month in which to see some changes! Motiviation helps so add me as a friend if you want to go on this journey together!
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    A friend at work sent me this in an email:bigsmile:

1. If no one sees you eat it, it has no calories.

2. If you drink a diet soda with candy, they cancel each other out.

3. When eating with someone else, calories don't count if you both eat the same amount.

4. Foods used for medicinal purposes have no calories. This includes any chocolate used for energy, Sara Lee cheesecake (eaten whole), and Haagen-Dazs ice cream.

5. Movie-related foods are much lower in calories simply because they are a part of the entertainment experience and not part of one's personal fuel. This includes (but is not limited to) Milk Duds, popcorn with butter, Junior Mints, Snickers, and Gummi Bears.

6. Cookie pieces contain no calories because the process of breakage causes calorie leakage.

7. If you eat the food off someone else's plate, it doesn't count.

8. If you eat standing up the calories all go to your feet and get walked off.

9. Food eaten at Christmas parties has 0 calories, courtesy of Santa.

10. STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backward.