Angel and the Tree Limb

Options
13»

Replies

• psuastro97
    psuastro97 Posts: 125
    Options
    the poor baby!!!!

instead of the lampshade collar thing - try a t-shirt. our dog was attacked by a neighbor's dog in october and had to get staples in her side, lower belly. the lampshade scared her more than the fight i think. we took an old cotton t-shirt (she's a lab - so size large worked) and we put it on her and tied the end into a knot around her waist. she never minded the t-shirt and never bothered her staples. that is the first time we ever dressed her up!!! :bigsmile:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    The t-shirt sounds like a good idea!
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    the poor baby!!!!

instead of the lampshade collar thing - try a t-shirt. our dog was attacked by a neighbor's dog in october and had to get staples in her side, lower belly. the lampshade scared her more than the fight i think. we took an old cotton t-shirt (she's a lab - so size large worked) and we put it on her and tied the end into a knot around her waist. she never minded the t-shirt and never bothered her staples. that is the first time we ever dressed her up!!! :bigsmile:

I actually took an old beach towel. Folded it lengthwise into 1/8ths. Rolled it to the size of her neck. Duck Tapped it. Than duck taped her collar inside the towel. Its worked like a champ except for version one (no collar). She could still eat and drink, and still looked like she was from planet earth!

A lot of healing has gone on in the last 48 hours. If it continues, she will have the stitches and staples out on Thursday evening! ~whew~ She will be so HAPPY!

Then, besides a REALLY bead haircut, she will be a happy puppy again!

Debating on trimming the rest of her hair, but Aussies hairs can look kinda silly cut.
  • psuastro97
    Options
    glad to hear she is healing fast!!! the towel idea was a really good one - much better than the cone head things they give you att he vet!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Awwe, I hope she feels better soon!! I LOVE Aussies...we had one named Mojo at the kennel where I used to work, and he was the sweetest pup ever. I had a Whippet cut his ear on a branch on my watch...he came trotting over to me, speckled in blood...eek! Unfortunately they couldn't attach the little flap, and he kept shaking the dressing off, and he was a show dog so it kind of messed up his showing side...it's definitely tough to take care of animals when they're injured!
  • timisw
    Options
    Well gosh, its been awhile to update this. I have been gone for the last 9 days. I am down in Augusta, GA for a class.

The day before I left, Angel went to the vet to have her stitches and staples taken out. Everything looked pretty good. She was brought home and was playing as normal. Almost was at the point to give her a bath and get rid of her "Frito" paws. They are truly at an all time high. I never knew that dogs could have such stink feet!

Well, minutes prior to the bath, her side ripped back open (about 2" of the 5" scar). She went STRAIGHT back to the vet for about 10 stiches and 2 more staples. ~sigh~ What a dog will do to keep from having a bath! Actually she loves baths and I am sure is scared of her own "Frito" stench right now.

The stitches come out tomorrow. I am told it looks REALLY healed this time! ~shrew~
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Oh i'm so sorry! They are as bad as kids sometimes!
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    :cry:

poor baby...

hope she's feeling better soon

Thanks Manda!

I felt like the worst parent in the world. How does someone miss a cut that is now 5 inches worth of stitches? I even had her roll on her back and checked out all of her limbs thinking that something might of been hurt.

Its always weird how those HUGE cuts never bleed as much!

Aww poor pup...and hey it happens.. Heck.. i have missed some obvious things....in my own KIDS! It happens.. at least you got her checked out and she is doing ok..poor little thing.. Time for some of that Rabbit Stew is what I say!
  • timisw
    Options
    Aww poor pup...and hey it happens.. Heck.. i have missed some obvious things....in my own KIDS! It happens.. at least you got her checked out and she is doing ok..poor little thing.. Time for some of that Rabbit Stew is what I say!

I was thinking the same thing! worst is that she never learned... has to herd everything!

I do wish Your son the best... Angel is a dog with only a flesh wound so not even in the parking lot of the ball diamond to compare...
  • timisw
    Options
    Alrighty...

Stitches and Staples were out this morning and she has played with two puppies today without any problems! ~smiling~ Hopefully this will teach her to run into the woods at 25 to 30 mph. I am sure other dogs are going to make fun of her BAD haircut for the rest of the summer!

Thanks for everyone's comments!

Tim
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Alrighty...

Stitches and Staples were out this morning and she has played with two puppies today without any problems! ~smiling~ Hopefully this will teach her to run into the woods at 25 to 30 mph. I am sure other dogs are going to make fun of her BAD haircut for the rest of the summer!

Thanks for everyone's comments!

Tim

Glad the pooch is doing okay now! :flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Wow! First I saw of this thread :smile: Glad the puppy's ok :bigsmile: Hey, I was just going to let you know about this awesome health plan I have for my dog...:laugh: At alot of PetSmarts they have Banfield Pet Hospitals. I pay $36 a month and that covers all shots, all visits (the initial visit), so many xrays per year, teeth cleanings, and all sorts of other things, sedations, and we usually pay very very little if anything besides the $36 a month. It's saved us a lot of money. You should look into it if you have a PetSmart with Banfield hospital nearby. We love it. There are all sorts of different plans. We got the most expensive but it covers almost everything. And we get 10% off of prescriptions too. Well worth the money to get it...:smile: So next time your dogs chase little animals around you won't have to pay so much...:wink::laugh: Just an idea :bigsmile:
  • psuastro97
    Options
    we are all about pet insurance for our dog. she's a 4 year old lab.

we have vpi pet insurance.
    www.petinsurance.com

for us, it is $400 a year and covers tons - we usually go to the vet 3 or 4 times a year, and always seem to have some sort of extra tests done (urinalysis, xrays, blood work, etc.) not to mention medication. always get our money back, plus!

last year she got into something (they think she ate something - i wonder if she licked fertilizer off her paws after a walk or something). anyway, i woke up one night at 4am and she was just sitting there, looking horribly sad and uncomfortable. her tongue was WHITE! we took her to the er vet immediately. she was very dehydrated and had funky readings in her liver. in the end, she was fine - pumped her full of liquids for a week (daily trips to the vet, plus staying the entire day) not to mention the ER vet bill. all in all, we spent $1200. the pet insurance covered over $900.

LOVE PETINSURANCE - if there is some near you, definitely get it if you have a young dog. our policy will even cover things as serious as cancer treatments, too. plus normal stuff like frontline/heartworm, vet visits, etc.
  • psuastro97
    Options
    sorry - need to clarify.

with vpi, if the dog is older and has had issues int he past - they are considered pre-existing conditions and will not be copvered. youget the best coverage if you get the policy when you get the dog....so nothing is pre-existing!
  • psuastro97
    Options
    sorry - need to clarify.

with vpi, if the dog is older and has had issues int he past - they are considered pre-existing conditions and will not be copvered. youget the best coverage if you get the policy when you get the dog....so nothing is pre-existing!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    How is the pup?