Un-supportive family?

Options
13»

Replies

• hotllamarama
    hotllamarama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    dont worry about what he thinks, you're doing this for YOU. That's all that matters :)
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight over night, it was a life style. He is used to you in that life style.
    You made a choice to change your life style, he didn't. That can be scary!! How is he to know where the changes are going to stop? Under it all, he's probably nervous that you might expect him to change, or that you might find someone different. Guys are just as insecure as us, they just don't show it the same.
    Once he sees that your new life style change is just a healthier one, and that your not trying to change everything about your life, he'll get on board. Just reassure him and give him time to get used to it :)
  • necki696
    Options
    I like the punch in the face lol... I'm in the same boat as you... my boyfriend is a chef who loves to eat unhealthy so that is always an agurement but we work opposite schedules so my in work out in my favor. But he gives me a really hard time about going to a gym (which I work there as my second job). He feels on my days off I shouldn't go and workout. I've been debating that all week. If he isn't going to be supportive of me i'm probably going to tell him he's gotta go. (Maybe I'll try punching him in the face first lol)
  • marysunshine41
    Options
    So sorry to hear that! Is he overweight? Maybe he is insecure and thinks you will lose weight and leave him behind. Maybe you could find new healthy recipes and cook together. Also, Weight Watchers has delicious frozen treats that taste great without the guilt. I hope in time you will get the support from him that you deserve, but if not, try not to let his negativity make you lose your focus. Maybe you can find a friend who would like to join you and exercise and lose weight as well. You can always find support here at Myfitnesspal! Focus on YOU! Good luck!
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My mum wont buy weighing scales or take an interest in my logging of calories. It really hinders my development.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My husband used to be the same way. I think his opposition to my healthy food choices was because he felt like he needed to be in control. To change that, I had to show him that he could NOT control my food choices, but that he would still be okay.

My way of doing that was to have a very simple message and stay on message all the time: I am doing this because it is healthy for me. I am not going to try to force you to do it. You can be nice about it, or you can be a pita, but I'm not going to change my mind.

Eventually he got it. The thing is, though, that my husband's control issues are about food, not really about me. He had a really troubled childhood, which left him with a lot insecurities that are expressed in his need to control food. When you're deciding how to handle this with your husband, you need to be clear about why he wants to control what you eat. Is he insecure and afraid you will take away his comfort food? If that's it, then you just need to show him that you're not going to change the way HE eats.

But if trying to control what you eat is his way of trying to control YOU, then that's a completely different issue.

Holly
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    I feel you...i live with people who know my struggle and still bring junk into the house. My husband tells me what i need to eat and do to lose weight, yet he's about to hit 300. He doesn't want to make the healthy changes and gives me a hard time. He doesn't like turkey or low fat food...everything tastes like "cardboard". Ugh!!! I just decided to do this for me and don't care what anyone says!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you some great advice! Not much more I can add to that, so I'll just let you know that in an Avon catalog I saw some serving utensils that are the appropriate serving size. One is for starches (rice/pasta), one for veggies, and one for protiens. If nothing else works, get those and make him serve you the correct amounts. Maybe having a visual aid will help him. Good luck!
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    try to have some of the lo cal ice cream bars on hand like WW or Schwans, the both have 90 calorie ice cream bars, maybe he would like these too, my family is really liking them!
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and support. I'm definetly going to try talking to him again. you guys are awesome!