ANYONE LOST WEIGHT DOING ZUMBA?

Options

Replies

• psyche1701
    psyche1701 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I *love* Zumba I can only get to one class a week, which is an hour long, and it is an amazing workout! I supplement it by doing workouts at home a few other times a week (exercise DVDs, wii dance games etc) - and I feel so much fitter, and full of energy, which I put down to doing the Zumba.

I *used* to go and slow away on a crosstrainer at the gym and felt totally bored and demotivated doing so, to the point of coming home and feeling miserable and having a treat to cheer myself up.... BUT Zumba is totally different, you come away feel buzzing!

Zumba!!!!!!!!!
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ohhh yes, I've lost about 10 lbs, but more than that I can't believe how much it altered my shape. Specifically my bum. Amazing. Zumba FTW!!!
  • underwire
    underwire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started doing ZUMBA in September of 2009 and have lost a total of 68 pounds!!! Before ZUMBA the thought of exercise or attending a fitness class made my stomach turn and I would pratically break out in hives!!! Now I can't wait to get to as many classes as my schedule will allow me to ~ I LOVE IT ~

Not only do I attend 5-6 one hour ZUMBA Fitness classes per week but I also do 2-3 hours of ZUMBA Toning each week along with one Aqua ZUMBA class!!! ZUMBA has changed my life, increased my energy and has given me a new direction in life down a pathway of health and fitness!

If you haven't tried ZUMBA yet your missing out on a fun, energetic fitness class resulting in you burning up to 700 CALORIES in ONE HOUR!!!! Give it a try ~ I know you will fall in love with it just like I did!!!

If you live around the SOUTH ELGIN or ELGIN Illinois area check out the following website for a ZUMBA class you can attend ~ FIRST CLASS IS FREE: www.zumbawithkimsouthelgin.com
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Every pound lost here has been with Zumba DVDs. I have recently added Kettleworx for strength training, but Zumba is my main cardio.

I took a break January 1 to try 30 Day Shred. Big mistake. I haven't lost much weight and I started to feel horrible - hip hurt, knees killed me, feet ached.

Back to Zumba I went after 15 days! That's where I'm supposed to be! :smile:
  • gilliland24
    Options
    when is started my weight loss journey, i started out doing zumba,, i personally did lose weight doing it! added some other class such as spinning, boot camps and just about every other class my gym offered including weight lifting..plus zumba is fun!
  • wewereinfinite
    Options
    Zumba is WONDERFUL! I have a class at school 3 days a weeks and it is the best class I have this semester lol. Even though I drag myself the entire 20 minute walk back to my dorm it makes me feel so energized and alive. And not to mention, it's super fun! I love the music, and the dancing is so spicy and hot!
  • brendajs
    brendajs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have heard nothing but good regarding Zumba! I happened to catch part of an infomercial for Zumba on tv one day when my grandsons were visiting (ages 6 and 2). I started trying to follow along---as did my grandsons! We had a blast! I thought if I didn't lose weight with the actual "exercise" part of it...I'd burn calories laughing at myself trying to keep up!!

To give it a more "serious" try, I requested a couple Zumba DVD's from my library. It must be popular because I was number 43 on the waiting list!!!!!!!!!

From all the good commets here, I might have to quit waiting and get my own copy! For those of you that have the DVD's, which one would you recommend for a beginner??

Thanks for a great thread!!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have only done a couple of classes however I burnt slightly more calories than I do when I go spinning for an hour.

Its a fantastic calorie burner.
  • mizdotson
    Options
    I have post a lot of weight with it. Me and a bunch of friends take class and we have all lost!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i went to a zumba class today for the first time, and even with me not knowing what the heck i was doing, and doing alot of stopping and watching i still worked up a pretty good sweat!
  • robincnrr
    Options
    This is something that you have to keep at to finally get the moves the more you do it the better it is!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba and while I do other activities too and can not say this alone has lead to weight loss- it definitely has not hurt. I do it a couple times a week when I can.
  • johannaplatt
    johannaplatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did my first Zumba class today as part of my kick start first week and I can't see how anyone wouldn't lose weight doing it! Such a great workout, so much more fun than slogging away on the treadmill by yourself. Definitely go to the classes, such a feeling of camaraderie and fun, the 45 minutes absolutely flew by! I'm going again. Was nice to have a male instructor too :)
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i used to do zumba last year and lost over 40 lbs in a 3 month period...i took a class at my local gym 4 times a week and it sure gives u a workout. Its fun if you have the right instructor...i recommend taking the class vs doing the dvd because at least you get a variety in music selection. Best of luck to u!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Wow...two pages of replies to this question and only one negative. I think you've got your answer! LOL :o)

I'm trying to track down a few Zumba friends so I'm glad I came upon this post! I just, JUST started it at home with the CD's and did the first one today (the 20 min. Express) after several days watching them over and over while I did my workout on the treadmill to get an idea of what to expect. I loved it other than the fact that I felt like I had two left feet but I know I'll pick it up over time. And yes, I worked up as much of a sweat as I do jogging/running 60 min on the treadmill and it's much more fun.

If anyone wants to be my friend, send me a request! :o)
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I loved loved loved taking zumba when I could at the gym before I moved. I loved dancing with my friends when we were in high school to have fun and I love going dancing still. You burn a ton of calories and tone parts you didn't know you could! As for the dvds, haven't tried them personally. I've tried to do the cardio ballroom dvd that Julianne from DWTS did, but doing it on my run makes me feel clumsy and awkward. Hardwood floors definitely make it much easier to do because your shoes move easier!
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a killer workout! I've only done it a few times but each time, I'm drenched and out of breath before the warm up even finished. However, I don't think you should stick to just one exercise. I think you'll have better results and less risk of injury if you change it up and do a variety of exercises. My week normally consists of a couple of times horseback riding, a zumba (or other cardio) class, a body pump class and a run/walk.
  • sheilakluver
    Options
    Since I cannot go to the gym, I just purchased the Zumba to do at home...I am not much of a dancer, but since I am doing it in my own home with no one around I can focus better. I am really looking forward to this, I have heard so much good things about it and have a few friends at work who love it.
  • rednblack84
    Options
    I mix Zumba into my regular gym workouts twice a week. I like it because it's way different than the rest of the work. The key is to keep moving and work hard enough to sweat. If you are sweating, you will be losing. I try to build in a well rounded weekly workout full of weights, cardio, and plyometrics.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I started doing Zumba along with P90x videos but before I added the P90x videos I lost 6 pounds in one week with zumba and eating healthy! :)