ANYONE LOST WEIGHT DOING ZUMBA?

Options

Replies

• sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    i started it in january, lost 15 lbs and quite a few inches (i was a dummy and didn't take measurements when i started dancing) but had to invest in a good belt as almost all of my jeans were falling off! i loved it, but overdid it and then started getting really bored with it. i had the dvds at home, but i bet if i were brave enough to actually go to a class i wouldn't have lost interest in it. good luck to you if you start, it really is fun!
  • Monyglen
    Monyglen Posts: 1
    Options
    I lost 12 kilos so far doing Zumba at home 1hr everyday and a diet of about 1400 calories. It works and it's lots of fun.
  • dispatchsunshine
    Options
    Oh absolutely! I've lost 40 pounds since January, and Zumba is my favorite workout! But I've got to say, I don't lose without portion control for my meals also. And strength training helps, too. :)
  • Sperez08
    Sperez08 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba for the past few weeks and also watching my calorie in take. I have lost 3 lbs. I love it!.. I have hypothyroidism and its the only thing that works for me to lose weight.. I do zumba for an 1 hour 5-6 times a week..
  • ashivnc
    ashivnc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had heard good things, esp that you get a great workout but that it's fun, so I bought Wii Zumba 2. I've only done it once and liked it a lot, but it was HARD. I've never done much dancing and I found I was stumbling along a lot. Maybe if I just keep moving a lot? Or maybe I'll just get better with time! :laugh:
  • LemonJADE
    LemonJADE Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I LOVE doing Zumba. It makes you happy as well as fit! And it's so much fun!! It's one thing I feel comfortable doing and don't care what the others think because we're all just having a good time. :)
  • Sperez08
    Sperez08 Posts: 2
    Options
    Great Job! Any tips for the rest of us?
  • Liberty_7728
    Liberty_7728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to do Zumba and lost some weight but the moves re-injured my knee and flared up my plantar fasciitis. I would recommend it with proper shoes and be aware of what your body is doing. I learned later that Zumba shoes have no real traction to take the impact off your knees when doing all the twist and turns. I wish I had known more before I hurt myself. I learned to really look into a work out routine before jumping into it. Zumba was a blast and I will do it again sometime, with better awareness and proper shoes.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    at first the scale didn't budge but i could feel/see a difference. after the first 2 months, i lost a pant size but was down only about 5lbs. the next 2 months, the weight just flew off. lost 20lbs but hit a plateau. added weight training and boot camp and my body composition is totally changing.

zumba is still my go-to cardio b/c its so much fun and time flies by (i'm a certified instructor but don't currently teach). but i limit it to twice a week and spend the rest of the week lifting.

good luck!
  • Faerille326
    Options
    Personally, I've lost 15 lbs doing Zumba (tracker only shows 5, I started MFP 10lbs in.) :smile:

My Zumba instructor has lost 100lbs. She actually shared her story on our local news if you care to watch/read:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/05/21/health-south-jersey-womans-dramatic-weight-loss/
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba about a month or so twice a week shifts depending & love it. you are soaking wet in minutes & it's a great laugh!!.. I've lost inches & can see the difference in my body.. My instructor lost 3st doing it too
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba for the past few weeks and also watching my calorie in take. I have lost 3 lbs. I love it!.. I have hypothyroidism and its the only thing that works for me to lose weight.. I do zumba for an 1 hour 5-6 times a week..
  • asugar
    Options
    I am going to try my first class today. I tried the DVD and it was hard but I love to dance so I think I'll like the class. I have hypothyroid too so t,hats good to know.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I took a break January 1 to try 30 Day Shred. Big mistake. I haven't lost much weight and I started to feel horrible - hip hurt, knees killed me, feet ached.

I kind of had a similar experience! I haven't actually done Zumba but I was doing a lot of dance aerobics on my own and took a break to try 30 day Shred. My joints were KILLING me and I couldn't dance or even do a lot of walking without pain. So I stopped and went back to my dancing and walking and I'm much happier lol
  • asugar
    Options
    I liked my first class!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Yup. Pretty much 50 lbs of my weight loss was cuz of Zumba.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience, it was just not enough for me. I barely broke a sweat. I didn't take a class though, it was just the DVD's so maybe that is why.
  • forsettii
    forsettii Posts: 29
    Options
    http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/man-loses-370-pounds-old-fashioned-way-reclaims-100129123--abc-news-health.html

Just watched this video. Guy lost 370 pounds and is now a Zumba instructor.
  • bigpenguin570
    bigpenguin570 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just got the wii game, and hope to start taking a class starting next week, so I really hope the answer is yes :)
    can you tell me about the game? that sounds interesting
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have, and I was originally doing just the Zumba. I've started with a little bit of muscle work since I want a toned overall look, but it does help if you put in the work.