beginner Half-Marathon training plan, starts today

amysj303
amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
Maybe I can get some others to join me, the plan is pretty simple and for novices. I don't intend to run a half-marathon but the training plan has a little something everyday but Friday, which is pretty cool.
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
I would appreciate the company and support of anyone who wants to join in!
Today is stretch/strengthen so I think I will do some yoga and pilates on-demand at home.

Replies

• Amy,

I have a group of people training to walk the half marathon in Dallas in March. I am following the Hal Higdon's 12 week training and it's going well so far! Good luck to you!
  • hepkitty
    hepkitty Posts: 133
    Hey I'm definitely keen! I'm hoping to run a half marathon in June, and also run the Abel Tasman at the end of the year (a 36k track that goes along some really beautiful coastline in New Zealand)

so my plan is to train up for the half and then work my way up in the second half of the year. The plan you're following works really well for me as I already do yoga on Mondays and dance on Wednedays (that can be my cross training).

Let me know how you're going Amy, & I'll update with my progress :)

Becky
  • amysj303
    great, thanks
  • amysj303
    day 1, week 1 done-i hr of yoga and strength. It was something on demand with Bethany Frankel, it was pretty good.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Maybe I can get some others to join me, the plan is pretty simple and for novices. I don't intend to run a half-marathon but the training plan has a little something everyday but Friday, which is pretty cool.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
    I would appreciate the company and support of anyone who wants to join in!
    Today is stretch/strengthen so I think I will do some yoga and pilates on-demand at home.

I am starting this program the second week of march I think. I am running a half marathon in Calgary on May 29th!
  • started the training for a half marathon last year using a beginners guide (around 12 weeks) and ran my first 1/2 last November. Had an awesome time as I traveled with a friend. Have some more lined up this year plus some more challenging events. If you are going to train. push further and do one! You will be surprised on what you can achieve! If someone had told me earlier last year that I would be prepping for a 1/2 I would have laughed at them - not any more! The sense of achievement is wonderful. I wasn't aiming for great timing, just to start and finish. Go for it! :drinker:
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Amy,

I have a group of people training to walk the half marathon in Dallas in March. I am following the Hal Higdon's 12 week training and it's going well so far! Good luck to you!

The Dallas Rock N Roll Marathon on March 27th? I'm signed up for that! I'll be jogging mostly though. Good luck to your group!
  • Best of luck in your training for the half.
    I did Chicago Half Marathon Sept 2010.
    I followed a training plan that helped a lot. The only thing I planned on doing different this year is not taper as much the last couple weeks. I am far from fast but hope to improve my time of 2:05 to 1:55. I went out too fast and last three miles were tough. I will be much more prepared this year.
    Most anyone can do this if they start early enough by building up their weekly mileage gradually and put in a long run on the weekend.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Bump! I'd love to follow your progress and MAYBE (?) join you. I really had a blast with C to 5K and then stuck with jogging for over a year. But it's starting to lose it's luster. I jog alone and it has become hard to stay motivated, and set new goals. Hmmm. If you keep posting, maybe I'll find myself trying to keep up??? (I have a feeling I'd get out there today, but I'm dealing with sick germs and need to be back to 100% before I give it a go.)

Good luck! :)
  • amysj303
    ok, 3-mile run today!
  • hepkitty
    Sweet! I did a 5k fun run yesterday (Tues) which is just over 3 miles, and am dancing tonight!
  • amysj303
    week 1 day 2, 3 mile run, done. tomorrow calls for cross-training, not sure what to do, or for how long!
  • hepkitty
    Hey, how did your cross training go? What did you do in the end?

Yesterday ( Thurs) I didn't do the 3m run but I did go dancing, biking, and climbing (so strength work is definitely checked off). This is the problem I have with running training, because I do a wide variety of exercise and sometimes I just don't have time for a run!

Going away in the weekend but I think we might go for a run anyways on Sunday because my husband is really keen on running...his achilles is recovering from some minor tears which is lame for him but means that at the moment we are running similar distances!
  • amysj303
    I was bad last night, went to dinner, had a glass of wine and lost all motivation. Back on track today for a 3-mile plus strength-training and have to trade my rest day, which was Friday, for Wednesday, when I was lazy. So I still have to come up with a cross-training-what should I do? Saturday is cross too and Sunday is the 4-mile run.
  • VBos
    VBos Posts: 213 Member
    I was totally hoping to run a half this summer, although i'm not much of a runner. i've just now mastered the 4 miles... but i'll totally do this with you!! which 1/2 are you running? how cool would it be if we all met up to run it!?! awesome, i'm pumped now, my running too was losing its luster. i'll take a look at the running schedule, i may have to switch some days around cause my weeks as of now are pretty busy.
  • amysj303
    I am not sure I will run. I have never raced before, it doesn't really appeal to me but maybe I should give it a chance.
    My friend wants to do a half August 13, 2011-it's in Colorado, the race is from Georgetown to Idaho Springs.
  • amysj303
    the 3 miles went easier last night. I kind of do an interval thing, I warm up for 3 minutes at 3.5mph, then 3 mins of 5 mph, then 5.5 then 6, then 5.5, then 5 then 5.5 then 6; it keeps it interesting and lets me look forward to the slower speeds.
    The plan says my heart rate should be 65-75% of maximum. Max is 220-age (35) and 70% of that is about 130. My run keeps me in the 150s, often 160s.
    Any other runners with HRMs know what their heart rate is while running?
  • amysj303
    I should have said, last night was day 5, week 1.
    Today should be rest day but I took Wednesday off so I am cross-training tonight. I think I will just find some video or on-demand workout.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    I'll be starting that program after my Quebec Business trip ... (Feb 7th)
  • BrandonMB
    BrandonMB Posts: 21 Member
    It was very cool to find this thread. I have been jogging as part of this whole weight loss thing for a few weeks now and was looking online for upcoming runs. I found the GoodLife Fitness Half Marathon which is May 17 in Toronto. Last night was Week 1, Day 1, only a 2 mile run, so I went up and down the hills in the beach to make it more impact. I am doing a slightly longer program, 15 weeks, but would be happy to go through some of this with you.

Also, if there is anyone in Toronto that is looking to do a half marathon this spring and is looking for a running buddy, would be great to hear from you!