beginner Half-Marathon training plan, starts today

Options

Replies

• VBos
    VBos Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    did the 3 miles last night, but didn't have time to strengthen, so i'll do strength and x train tonight. even though it's a "rest" day.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I forogt to do strength last night too! Maybe 30DS tonight!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Yay for you, Amy! Sounds like a good start. I really think I want to be joining you. Ever had one of those lingering colds where you're too sick for a serious workout but not sick enough to just lie around? I think going for a run would KICK MY BUTT right now. Yoga has been the extent of my workouts this week .

Maybe I'll battle my way back to good health with a PLAN to start week 1 on Monday. Whatcha think?

Great job and thanks for the inspiration! :)
  • amysj303
    Options
    yeah, you gotta rest when you are sick, the immune system needs it.
    So I did a Jillian workout, it was an ab one but it was intervals and it was tough. I figured my abs would really hurt today but they don't. I didn't do anything Saturday except paint the fence. IT felt like exercise, and my long run is today. So mad at myself for having 8 beers yesterday. Makes the running harder!
  • amysj303
    Options
    week 1, day 7-ran 4 miles, outside. It wasn't too bad, I like running outside and now that I have the Nike GPS app on my iphone I have all the convenience of the treadmill, it tells me how fast and how far I have gone, so that is nice. Unfortinately, it is going to be very cold in Denver this week so I will be indoors for running for awhile.
  • hepkitty
    hepkitty Posts: 133
    Options
    Hey again,

So the trip away was of mixed success...running-wise, good, cos we went for a 2 hour off road hill run on Saturday (too sore to do anything on Sunday!) but diet wise, fail due to excessive alcohol consumption on Sat night :(

Your variable running speed plan sounds good, I definitely find myself getting bored sometimes running at the same speed the whole way, so I might try something like that next time.

When I wear a HRM my heart rate usually sits around 145 for most of the run, maybe 150 some of the time. So I guess a little high, but over time the running should get easier and then the heart rate shouldn't go as high, right? Are you pushing yourself really hard to get your heart rate that high, or is it just happening?

Re cross training, I guess it's just a non-run exercise that keeps you moving on the off-days...I do swing dancing so that's most of my cross-training, but biking or walking or doing any of the cardio exercise dvds etc are probably also excellent cross training. Or swimming, I guess?
  • amysj303
    Options
    I didn't wear the HRM for my outdoor run today and I never felt like my heart rate was that high, like on the treadmill earlier in the week. I don't try to get my heart rate up, I just try to run faster until I can't.
  • amysj303
    Options
    thanks for the blog post, too, I had not seen it.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Okay, day 1: Stretch and strengthen - done! 80 mins of yoga class. I think that would count. Tomorrow is the 3 mile run. I haven't been jogging or running much at all lately, so it will be a (good) challenge to start there and build back up. :)
  • amysj303
    Options
    welcome, I think yoga is a great stretch and strengthen, that is what I did too!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    :) Okay, I'm checking in here to psych myself up for the 3 miles. It's been a while since I've been out there. The plan is to use the treadmill, and I'll set it on some sort of speed intervals too.

I figured out why I've been feeling like crap. It's not a cold. It's a reaction to the volcanic smog ("vog") that can get kind of heavy in the islands sometimes. Headaches, congestion and sinus pain, fatigue, difficulty breathing and extreme drops in energy are a few of it's offerings. The air cleared a bit yesterday and I felt the best I've felt in about 2 weeks.

I'm hoping I have the energy to do a full 3. "I think I can, I think I can....." :laugh:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I found this list of top 20 Half Marathon training mistakes on wellsphere.com
    How about the very last one on the list? So far that's been me. :wink:

Try to fake it without training.
    Build a training plan of running only.
    Forget the even the best plans need adjustment.
    Ignore mental conditioning.
    Decide there isn' t enough time for stenghtenening and stretching.
    Focus only on one event - "eggs all in one basket".
    Skip "dress rehearsals"
    Copy/paste week after week without a lot variety
    Use well intentioned advice from a runner not like you or with different goals.
    Start from scratch instead of expert resources.
    Don' t write down my plan or track my progress or results.
    Forget about nutrition. Eat like I am running 100 miles a week. Put on some weight.
    Don' t involve family and friends.
    Forget to plan your plan and skip the step of using a calendar to schedule my plan.
    Stop being reasonable or flexible.
    Forget to "phone a friend" - find someone who will keep you on track, sanity check.
    Copy/paste a plan. Forget to customize it and make it my own.
    Think it all is supposed to be easy.
    Think it all is supposed to be hard.
    Don' t break down the plan into smaller milestones.
    Don' t start.
  • amysj303
    Options
    thanks, I am off to do my 3 miles in one hour. I alreday recorded, got the gym bag and hope it contains a sports bra, socks and running shoes. I have forgotten each of these things at some point, which makes things difficult.
    I definitely need to work on the strengthening.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Sounds good, get 'er done! :) Hope you have everything you need. What's your plan (or are you still deciding on one) for strengthening?

I got my 3 miles in, an 11 minute mile. It was a little brutal but I feel great now! :)
  • amysj303
    Options
    haha, I got there with everything except my ipod, it sucked but I did it anyway. Also, I didn't feel well, my tummy. Still I did the three minutes in my usual time (A little over 11 minute mile) AND I stretched after a 5 minute warm up, which I never do, but I am trying to take good advice!
    So for the strenghtening I have been doing a Jillian Workout, 30DS or the 6 week to 6 pack. For stretch and strengthen I do yoga or pilates.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Great job! Especially with the stretching and in persevering when you discovered the missing ipod. :)
    Sounds like we have similar resources to work with. I LOVE 6w6p (although I've only done level 1 so far. Level 2 just scares me.)

I had a very bad day but went for a run and found that did wonders for my mood. It was supposed to be 2 miles or cross train - I did 3, but only b/c i had stress to run off. :)
  • amysj303
    Options
    Week 2, Day 3 last night, I did the 6 week 6 pack, it is on demand with comcast so it is just level 1 also, I am not sure they will put level 2 out for free. It is a tough workout!
    I got three miles plus strength tonight and I brought my bag to go to the gym after work. I don't know what I will do for the strengthen aspect, I think I skipped it last week.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I agree, it is tough, and when I was doing it daily I felt like I was getting good results.
    I'm also on the 3 miles plus strength today. I just did the 3 miles, and am supposed to have 45 minutes of yoga class this afternoon, so that should cut it.

*sigh* I'm glad to have someone to try and keep up with - it's good motivation!
  • hepkitty
    hepkitty Posts: 133
    Options
    Hey guys,

sounds like everyone's going great and hitting all the targets! I didn't have time for a proper run yesterday (i.e. 3 miles) so was going to skip it, but then I ended up just doing 2 miles at lunch and really pushing myself. Felt really good about that afterwards. Rest day today and then heading out for a long run in the weekend sometime.

I think I might shift the 'strengthen' part of Thursday's plan to Fridays, as I usually go rock climbing on Fridays so most of the time that's already sorted!
  • amysj303
    Options
    congrats on the 3 miles, and yoga will be a good addition, I think, the yoga poses are good for strengthening. thanks for checking in with me!