Donating blood burns 600-650 calories!

Options

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I didn't know that. What is the rationale behind that, I wonder? Ignorance?

Plain old homophobia. The ban happened in the 80s after all the AIDS scares, which was understandable. However, now that every blood donation gets screened (before the 80s, they didn't actually test it for a bunch of stuff, including AIDS and hepatitis) it's ridiculous. And although I did say homosexuals, it's actually only homosexual MEN. Hate to break it to them, AIDS happens to women...and to people who have had sex with other people.
    They call me once a month, cause I have a rare blood type and practically beg. I'd like to, the thought of helping people and saving lives is a good one, but I have to take a moral stand here.
    This ban is outdated and morally objectionable now.

While I agree with you that there is no place in this world for such a stupid rule, the only people that would be affected by your decision not to donate probably don't even know that such a dumb rule exists.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am giving blood tomorrow.... I am trying to bring back the office give a pint get a pint club. We would all give at the blood drive and replace it with a pint of Guinness after work. Don't judge beers are not cheap in NYC!
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    NICE!
  • vodkaswigger
    vodkaswigger Posts: 467
    Options
    wow, im a regular donor, this is good to know xx
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    On a related topic, does menstruating burn calories, too?
  • GorillaNJ
    Options

well that comment got me to stop eating this juicy apple! LOL
  • ctinio
    ctinio Posts: 5
    Options
    Great job finding out about the calories. You were doing more than helping others, and didn't even know it.
  • OneLostSock
    Options
    In Canada they won't accept blood from Homosexual donors. Not high-risk homosexual donors-ALL homosexual donors.

Therefore they don't get my calories.

I wondered about boycotting here in the UK too, but then i thought if people didnt donate, people like my daughter would not be here with us. She was born 11 weeks early and desperately needed a transfusion to save her life. Instead of boycotting i letter write and email campaign to try and get the silly rule changed. That way, they are getting my blood and knowing i am unhappy about the rule - rather than them not getting my blood and not knowing why. (Hope that makes sense! Lol!)

But wow 600 cals! Yippeee!!

• leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Just LOL
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    That actually makes sense, especially with the amount of blood you have to replenish. I know when you're pregnant, the extra calories burned every day go mostly towards doubling blood supply and fluids. Apparently it takes a lot of energy to make all that good stuff.

And the ban on homosexual men donating is ridiculous. A friend of mine used to donate regularly as a rare blood type, until he came out publicly in college. Now he can't, despite the fact that he gets tested every six months, even when he's not in a relationship, and he has never has unprotected sex. Ridiculous and outdated, indeed.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

well that comment got me to stop eating this juicy apple! LOL

Red apple, huh?
  • troy_n
    troy_n Posts: 66
    Options
    Why Guiness though? Why not a beer that tastes good?
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    That actually makes sense, especially with the amount of blood you have to replenish. I know when you're pregnant, the extra calories burned every day go mostly towards doubling blood supply and fluids. Apparently it takes a lot of energy to make all that good stuff.

And the ban on homosexual men donating is ridiculous. A friend of mine used to donate regularly as a rare blood type, until he came out publicly in college. Now he can't, despite the fact that he gets tested every six months, even when he's not in a relationship, and he has never has unprotected sex. Ridiculous and outdated, indeed.

wait so im burnng calories being preggo? woohoo!!!!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Too bad I can't give blood. I have too many vitamin and mineral deficiencies and am severely anemic and get all sorts of injections, like B12 and Iron...
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I think I read this before too. The calories burned to my understanding is your body replenishing what you donated but ready for the disclousure? they dont allow you to donate again till after 6 weeks of donating because it takes that long for you to replenish so not quite sure if you loose the full 600-650 in one day.... Im sure you burn some just not quite sure all.
  • GorillaNJ
    Options

Curse your mouth.... Guinness is a great beer and low in calories too.

Better watchout, Heather will offer you a bite of her apple!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    In Canada they won't accept blood from Homosexual donors. Not high-risk homosexual donors-ALL homosexual donors.

Therefore they don't get my calories.

they don't accept blood from the British either.......
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to donating tomorrow!!!! I'm a universal donor so donating is important to me. Anyone who is able to should - I agree that some of the rules are outdated but taking a moral stance against the rules wouldn't occur to me as I think it more important to save a life.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options

Curse your mouth.... Guinness is a great beer and low in calories too.

Better watchout, Heather will offer you a bite of her apple!

mm guinesssssss