Donating blood burns 600-650 calories!

Options

Replies

• alischaid
    alischaid Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Really?! I donate blood every 8 weeks :)
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That actually makes sense, especially with the amount of blood you have to replenish. I know when you're pregnant, the extra calories burned every day go mostly towards doubling blood supply and fluids. Apparently it takes a lot of energy to make all that good stuff.
    Yes. But you don't replace the entire pint of blood on the same day that you donate it. Therefore, if you logged the 600 calories it takes to replenish the blood donated, you will be overstating your calorie burn for the day.
  • herownrules
    Options
    So if I donate six pints I can drink a bunch more tonight? Cool.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    On a related topic, does menstruating burn calories, too?

No, just all the constant b*tching that goes along with it that does.
  • mehmig
    mehmig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The red cross actually told me to stop donating. My blood flows so slowly that it takes over 20 mins to get a pint. This means it has too much coagulant in it and therefore can not be split. It can only be used whole. But the last two times I gave I went over the allotted amount of time, they were having to weigh the bag trying to get the right amount, and that meant they had to trash my donation. It was not usable. Totally stinks because I would love to do this but I can't. Plus I usually pass out.
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've donated blood once, but doing so was such a ridiculous hassle that it was pretty off putting for ever visiting again. The first time I was refused because I'd had a piercing within the last 6 months, though they still kept me waiting for an hour before telling me this. The second time I actually managed to donate, I was shunned to the back of the queue because I was a first time donor and therefore more hassle to work with. I was finally allowed to donate two hours after my appointment time, whilst countless other people that arrived after me without appointments were put through first.

Since then I've been refused to give blood because I've had sex with a man that has at some point had sex with another man (he was bisexual). Doesn't matter that it was protected and everything else.

There are also ridiculous rules about where you were born or where you may have visited. My mum is from the UK, but has moved to the USA, and despite being a blood donor for more than 25 years over here, she's not allowed to in the states because the UK has at one point had Mad Cow Disease. The whole system is ridiculous.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I donated blood through work once (this was when I worked in a hospital.) I sat next to an anesthesiologist who was also donating. We drove the Red Cross rep crazy because we kept talking about going out drinking later... "That's NOT what I meant by 'stay hydrated!'" :laugh: :laugh:

While I don't like the homophobia associated with who is able/unable to give blood, I've seen the good that donated blood can do - one unit (roughly a pint) can help up to 3 patients. That benefit is worth it, to me. I feel that I can (and do) support my gay and lesbian friends in a lot of other, very meaningful ways.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Haha right!?
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Boo Hoo! I had severe liver problems about 2 years ago. I don't know if they will allow me to donate.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Probably built into a woman's BMR.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    They keep calling me, but with being active and the heat around here, I don't think it's a good idea at all.

I had some severe issues with fatigue the last time I donated.

That and I don't think it burns that many calories...I did ask a medical professional once.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    In Canada they won't accept blood from Homosexual donors. Not high-risk homosexual donors-ALL homosexual donors.

Therefore they don't get my calories.
    they wouldnt get mine either..duh they test blood and right now gay males are not the ones with the highest transmisson rate
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just having a conversation about men-who-sleep-with-men not being allowed to donate blood in Canada on another forum. My stance is that since after 1 year, HIV is detectable (with a statistically insignificant margin of error), anyone who has been engaging in low-risk behaviours for the past year (no sharing needles, no unprotected dalliances, etc.) should be allowed to donate. Heck, I'd even be happy if that was extended to 5 years to get rid of that statistically insignificant margin of error. The current system is outdated and is putting folks at unnecessary risk in some situations, and depriving them of potential blood donors in others.

Anyway...last time I tried to donate, they wouldn't let me because I have Ulcerative Colitis. :\ No 600 calorie burn + life-giving feel-good-ness for me! I was turned down from donating marrow, too. :sad:
  • _angua_
    _angua_ Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm British and not allowed to donate here in the states.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Probably built into a woman's BMR.

You MAY burn more calories between ovulation and menstruation... and it is NOT generally figured into a woman's BMR because the number and length of time is so variable.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/246100-tom-experiment-preliminary-results
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Unfortunately you have to hit them in the wallet. I used to write letters to the Red Cross when it was run by the government to no avail, when they sold it, I started writing to Blood Services. It does nothing. Facebook groups do nothing. Me *****ing in a forum does nothing.
    What I do now is spread the information to as many people I can, stand behind my beliefs and let others do their own thinking. A moral stand is never easy. And yes, for now, most of the people being hurt by it are not to blame. But inaction to injustice is a far worse sin in my mind. It's how wars start and while I highly doubt there will be a war over this issue, the principle is the same.
  • OneLostSock
    Options
    Unfortunately you have to hit them in the wallet. I used to write letters to the Red Cross when it was run by the government to no avail, when they sold it, I started writing to Blood Services. It does nothing. Facebook groups do nothing. Me *****ing in a forum does nothing.
    What I do now is spread the information to as many people I can, stand behind my beliefs and let others do their own thinking. A moral stand is never easy. And yes, for now, most of the people being hurt by it are not to blame. But inaction to injustice is a far worse sin in my mind. It's how wars start and while I highly doubt there will be a war over this issue, the principle is the same.

But while you are doing nothing- it is not getting the message across and if people have to go without life saving transfusions etc then you are hurting the wrong people. You need to keep campaigning - keep the letter writing up, send emails, join those FB groups and make sure they know WHY you arent giving them your blood and this will change if they change. Otherwise they may think you are to worried about donating/ scared of needles/ worried about feeling a little bit ill afterwards or any of the hundreds of excuses people give because ultimately, they cant be bothered.

Although i do disagree with the rule, i HAVE to donate - i cant stand by and know that i'm not helping other prem babies etc.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

But while you are doing nothing- it is not getting the message across and if people have to go without life saving transfusions etc then you are hurting the wrong people. You need to keep campaigning - keep the letter writing up, send emails, join those FB groups and make sure they know WHY you arent giving them your blood and this will change if they change. Otherwise they may think you are to worried about donating/ scared of needles/ worried about feeling a little bit ill afterwards or any of the hundreds of excuses people give because ultimately, they cant be bothered.

Although i do disagree with the rule, i HAVE to donate - i cant stand by and know that i'm not helping other prem babies etc.

I agree. If I don't donate the only people I am hurting are those who don't deserve to be hurt - those injured in car accidents, newborn babies and mothers etc. What we need are MORE people to donate - particularly those with rare blood types and those from ethnic minorities. Yes the reasons they ban homosexuals are outdated, but I would also argue the same is true about the ban on those from the UK donating in the US.

I will happily give my blood this afternoon. I don't do it for the calories burnt, but because I should.
  • OneLostSock
    Options

I will happily give my blood this afternoon. I don't do it for the calories burnt, but because I should.

Thank you - without people like you, my daughter wouldnt be here today. xx
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options