Donating blood burns 600-650 calories!

Options

Replies

• Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    A bit off topic, but this thread inspired me to double check the donating guidelines...and I *can* donate! I used to all the time but then I was diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder (Factor V for anyone that cares) and since it precludes me from donating marrow, I thought it also interfered with my ability to donate blood, but no! :smile: So, as soon as I'm off my Lovenox (post-surgery blood thinner) I'm scheduling an appointment. :heart:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I donated on Saturday! yay for saving lives!
  • jamontagne
    jamontagne Posts: 115
    Options
    i usually plan ahead if i'm donating - exercise 2 hrs before donating, eat a high protein high carb breakfast about 45 mins before donating. Then plan high protein meals for the rest of the day. AND I plan to eat back the calories I lost while donating (I usually say roughly 500 cals). By doing this I've never gained weight afte donating - and I donate every 4-6 mos regularly for the last 3 yrs
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    Since I'm on blood thinner and my blood runs faster does that mean I would burn even more??:laugh:
  • hapilymarried2006
    hapilymarried2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow I should donate more often :)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Wow I should donate more often :)

I donate a couple times a year (I have a rare blood type, too, so they need it). That explains why I feel the way I do, so thanks!

One note to females: I had a friend who worked at a blood bank and donated frequently (they were expected to). She told me years ago that if you are of child-bearing age, you shouldn't donate as often as Red Cross allows -- over a long period of time it can really deplete you. I still give religiously (3x/year usually), but I don't do it as often as they say I can in the guidelines. Just listen to your body.

And heck yeah -- eat back those calories after you donate! You at least deserve a cookie at the "recovery" table. :flowerforyou:
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    While its true that you it will "cost" your body 600 calories worth of energy to re-make the blood that you gave... its not like that all counts for today. That is why you aren't allowed to "re-give" blood for the next 6 weeks-- because it will take that long for your body to "remake" all those RBCs (and other cells) that you gave today.

So, logging that you burned 600 calories by giving blood-- all in one day-- is inaccurate and would lead you to believe that you burned more calories today than you really did-- a LOT more than you really did.

Really, those 600 calories should be spread over the next 6 weeks, (42 days), meaning that in actaulity, you only "burned" an extra 14 calories per day for giving blood over the next 6 weeks until your body replenishes itself.

If it was 600 calories all in one day, the blood banks would never have a shortage! People would be begging them to take their blood-- 600 calories is a solid hour long jog on a treadmill, heck I'd rather give blood then jog for an hour!

This is from Caloriecount.about.com

Thank you :)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    While its true that you it will "cost" your body 600 calories worth of energy to re-make the blood that you gave... its not like that all counts for today. That is why you aren't allowed to "re-give" blood for the next 6 weeks-- because it will take that long for your body to "remake" all those RBCs (and other cells) that you gave today.

So, logging that you burned 600 calories by giving blood-- all in one day-- is inaccurate and would lead you to believe that you burned more calories today than you really did-- a LOT more than you really did.

Really, those 600 calories should be spread over the next 6 weeks, (42 days), meaning that in actaulity, you only "burned" an extra 14 calories per day for giving blood over the next 6 weeks until your body replenishes itself.

If it was 600 calories all in one day, the blood banks would never have a shortage! People would be begging them to take their blood-- 600 calories is a solid hour long jog on a treadmill, heck I'd rather give blood then jog for an hour!

Thank you :)

yes that is much more credible source then the Mayo clinic... LOL

I am sure that the day of donation your body works MUCH harder replacing that blood then it does 40 days in the future. I am not supposed to workout for 1 day... not take a fortnight off from lifting!
  • NJKean90
    Options
    My fastest donation so far from the minute they stuck me to bag full was 5 mins and 11 secs :) I know weird but I love to see how fast I can fill the bags.

I gave blood this morning and was done in 5m30s without trying to "go fast". They guy beside me was trying to see how fast he could go and was 4m31s.
  • bradymeans
    bradymeans Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I donated blood today, and have been feeling a little discouraged because I've been extra hungry and not able to do any strenuous exercise. I am over my calories for the day already, but I still feel like eating. :grumble:
    So. anyway, out of curiosity, (and to hopefully make myself feel better) I looked it up to see if it does burn calories. And YES! it does - 600-650 calories! Now I feel better, it doesn't look any better on my food diary :ohwell: but at least I know it's better.

say what?? think I may go donate some blood tomorrow..:)
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What do you mean? It's the best beer ever! I very rarely waste my calories on anything else. Have you tried it warm like the natives drink it? Even better.
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    In Canada they won't accept blood from Homosexual donors. Not high-risk homosexual donors-ALL homosexual donors.

Therefore they don't get my calories.

Sorry - we don't take blood from gay men, but we'll accept blood from gay women. It's the risk factor from male-to-male anal sex. (I used to work for Canadian Blood Services)
    Not defending it, just clarifying it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Glad someone found an actual write-up about it because this is exactly what I was going to say but the write-up sounds much more official. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I donated blood last week, and ate extra calories beforehand (so I wouln't become lightheaded) and throughout the day because I was extra hungry. Took it easy the rest of the day. Surprisingly, I weighed 1 pound less the next morning. Maybe it was because of the calorie loss from losing blood.

And I got my free pint of Baskin Robbins ice cream: Peanut Butter Chocolate flavor. Yes, I did treat myself! :happy:

The weight loss was probably more likely from the actual mass of the blood no longer being in your body rather than a loss of any fat. A pint of water weighs one pound and blood is denser, so it will weigh more than that, around 1.25 pounds or so. And you have basically just forcibly removed that weight from your body through the donation process, so that's most likely what caused the loss on the scale the next day.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    So vampires gain that much calories from drinking blood? Guess they don't have to eat anything else...
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP! Going to donate 1/2 the blood in my body to burn major cals and look like a Victoria Secret model. WHO'S WITH ME :love:
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    They should use that on their posters. Give blood, it burns 600 calories! :laugh:
    Excellent! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    They should use that on their posters. Give blood, it burns 600 calories! :laugh:

THIS!
  • stargazer008
    Options
    In Canada they won't accept blood from Homosexual donors. Not high-risk homosexual donors-ALL homosexual donors.

Therefore they don't get my calories.

Are you serious!?! How ignorant of them to not accept everyone!:angry:
    Like we are trying to save lives but apparently you have to be heterosexual to give blood!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Actually, the average amount of calories in a pint of blood is 400 for a woman. The amount of calories needed to replenish the blood is significantly less than that. Your body only raises your metabolism by 2-4 calories over 6-8 hours to replenish the blood you donated. The body is very efficient at making blood and a significant portion of your blood is made passively by the body. Also, not all of what you donate is blood, some is water.

Technically you only burn a max of 32 extra calories for the day by donating blood.
    http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2004-02/1077578504.Gb.r.html
    http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2004-04/1081912776.Me.r.html