Profile pics-rant

Options
Wendi_S
Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
Anyone else get annoyed when people post photos that are obviously not them? It irks me when someones weight loss ticker says they need to lose 125lbs and they post a photo of a 105lb model on the beach. Or that suddenly Brad Pitt wants to be my MFP friend. I understand that maybe it's for motivation- like putting a skinny pic on your refrigerator or something, but I like seeing the real person.

Ok, just wanted to get that off my chest LOL

Happy Sunday!

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Bahahahahaha! I know what you mean!...I usually don't 'friend' them...Usually it means they are hidin' somethin'...
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Some people may have their reasons for not posting their pics...like for privacy or they may be shy.
  • gdotman
    gdotman Posts: 64
    Options
    Its probabaly just insecurity, since they haven't been working out that hard. Though for the people that have been working out hard keep up the hard work and post them natural pic.
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    It's ok not to post their pics, that's understandable, it's the ones who post fake pics just to get more friends that irk me.

I also do not friend them.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    We all have different reasons for being here, different way of motivation.
    I have my pic on my profile, just not as profile pic, and never saw it as a problem.
    We all are different individuals, some are shy, some more open. Many people here fight serious self esteem issues. It's no miracle they don't wanna show themself on the internet, where everybody can see them. It's easy to forget that the internet is worldwide and you never know who looks at your pic.
    I've seen people who got hate emails, where they were told they are fat and ugly and whatever, even here on MFP. And that can be more than just a downer. So I respect everybody's decision, if they show a real pic of themselves or not.
    I do understand what you mean, so no worries. But maybe it's really just for motivation.
    Personally I highly doubt someone would believe they get more friends if they post a pic of Brad Pitt on their profile.
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    We all have different reasons for being here, different way of motivation.
    I have my pic on my profile, just not as profile pic, and never saw it as a problem.
    We all are different individuals, some are shy, some more open. Many people here fight serious self esteem issues. It's no miracle they don't wanna show themself on the internet, where everybody can see them. It's easy to forget that the internet is worldwide and you never know who looks at your pic.
    I've seen people who got hate emails, where they were told they are fat and ugly and whatever, even here on MFP. And that can be more than just a downer. So I respect everybody's decision, if they show a real pic of themselves or not.
    I do understand what you mean, so no worries. But maybe it's really just for motivation.
    Personally I highly doubt someone would believe they get more friends if they post a pic of Brad Pitt on their profile.

I have no issues with anyone who does or doesn't post pics of themselves... it's their own decision. I know what it's like to fight the inner body image demons- hell I am still doing it on a daily basis. I just get annoyed when someone sends me a friend request with a picture of brad pitt and expects me to believe it.

BTW, you're profile pic is adorable!! Lovin it!
  • Galathea
    Options
    Heehee,
    yep, I guess I get you. Didn't happen to me so far.
    Probably I wouldn't add them either.
    I'm more the "falling for George Clooney"- type anyway. LOL
    ]
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    Heehee,
    yep, I guess I get you. Didn't happen to me so far.
    Probably I wouldn't add them either.
    I'm more the "falling for George Clooney"- type anyway. LOL
    ]

Me too... Brad Pitt does nothing for me!! *HEAR THAT GUYS... BRAD PITT DOES NOTHING FOR ME*
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Well my profile picture isn't me. It's of one of the racehorses that I own.

I never claim that the picture is of me. So does that make me one of those annoying people who post fake pictures? :laugh:
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    yea bothers me a lil i like to feel im connecting with folks but when you cant see any pics of them it makes it hard to do
  • Galathea
    Options
    Well my profile picture isn't me. It's of one of the racehorses that I own.

I never claim that the picture is of me. So does that make me one of those annoying people who post fake pictures? :laugh:

only if the guy on the horse is Brad Pitt LOL
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I personally can't stand BRAD PITT...My Ulimate hero/crush of all time has always been George Michael - no need to say the jokes about him, I've heard them all before and personally anyone who can smoke weed and drive - kudos to them...When I smoked weed, if I made it to the kitchen and back...I was doin' very well LOL. A close second is Raine Maida...

FREAKIN' LOVE THIS POST...! WENDI you rocked my Sunday girl :) xo
  • 3timesblessed
    Options
    Guilty. This is a healthy me, and it definitely helps to motivate me on my journey. Try not to be judgemental :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love Brad Pitt so I am reporting this post:angry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't care about the avs.............^shrugs^ now I will probably notice them more:wink:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I agree with Wendi.:drinker: I would like to be able to put the actual face with the name. This is a fitness site that focuses on self improvement, and regardless of what the before pictures might look like, it's good to see where your friends started. And it makes for some absolutely jaw-dropping after photos!:noway:

And just for the record, i'm secure enough in my masculinity to say i think Brad Pitt is one sexy beotch!:blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It is funny. I had used an internet tool to take my 170 pound self and make her 130 pounds. In the meantime I trimmed my nose, and got rid of a mole :laugh:

I used the AV for motivation for ONE day........but when I got 25 'at a girls' and 'way to go's I realized people thought it was the real me and I felt like a liar.

But that is just me..............I still really don't care what yours is as long as it is not gross.............:huh: LOL cats are my fav....oh and butterflies!!
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    my pic is me.... I really am that hideous

Someone thought I was doing what you are talking about, but in reverse.. Like wow , nobody is really that ugly..... ummm yeah, I am
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,178 Member
    Options
    I love when people post real pictures of themselves as their profile pic. I salute the courage and the honesty in the fact that they are in a good place mentally to do so and allowing others to see them. I also understand those who do not and by not posting a pic you can still get a glimpse of their personality by the pictures they do post. I am a fairly private person, plus IMO my dorky cat (Monet) is cuter than myself (and Brad Pitt) and puts a smile on my face when I log on.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ok ... weighing in on the Brad Pitt issue... I used to think that I didn't like him... not really my type, but then I saw him in 12 Monkeys and came to the conclusion that he was more talented than I gave him credit for. After realizing this I started for find him more attractive.

One of my MFP friends has an Enrique Iglesias photo that makes me smile every time I see it. She isn't foolin' anyone. :)

I appreciate having both types of photos... something to reveal personality or one of the real self. I am pleased to say that I don't think that I have run into anyone misrepresenting themselves. I think it would be horrible if I did. I would be quite disappointed.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This is really me - but you have to travel back in time about 36 years for it to be current.