Profile pics-rant

Options

Replies

• rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I also like to put faces to people I'm trying to connect to. It's nice...but some of the profile pics go along with a personality and I <3 them! But yeah...I think it's kind of cheesy to use a celebrity pic as your identity.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My SwimKitty profile pic is motivation for ME.

My REAL pics are in my ticker (before-during-after from 4 years ago, and where I want to get back to for good!)
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well my profile picture isn't me. It's of one of the racehorses that I own.

I never claim that the picture is of me. So does that make me one of those annoying people who post fake pictures? :laugh:

I second what Galathea said!!! LOL
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    Guilty. This is a healthy me, and it definitely helps to motivate me on my journey. Try not to be judgemental :)

But a healthy you...is still YOU! :)
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    I love when people post real pictures of themselves as their profile pic. I salute the courage and the honesty in the fact that they are in a good place mentally to do so and allowing others to see them. I also understand those who do not and by not posting a pic you can still get a glimpse of their personality by the pictures they do post. I am a fairly private person, plus IMO my dorky cat (Monet) is cuter than myself (and Brad Pitt) and puts a smile on my face when I log on.
    [/quote

I also think Monet is cuter than Brad Pitt!!
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    My SwimKitty profile pic is motivation for ME.

My REAL pics are in my ticker (before-during-after from 4 years ago, and where I want to get back to for good!)

SwimKitty is by far the BEST profile pic I've seen....
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    this was me in my former life lol jk. I dont have any current pictures of me and i really really dont want to be reminded of who i once was and am not now! I like opposums so this is Heide the German opposum. I am German and so i can pass as a opposum! lol jk
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I choose either a cute picture I found, or something I want to achieve for motivational persons.

Although i'm too lazy to change it most of the time.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying there are people who are too shy to put their own pic up and that's fine and they have cute pics or other stuff that is not them but then you get the swimsuit models in the pics and ppl who say I only have 60 pounds to go. I think it brings up a deeper issue of why we are trying to lose weight. Because seriously who will ever look like that swimsuit model and are they setting themselves up for failure or something worse psychologically speaking. Just my two cents. And my pic is actually me. It was a great day out with my sis at a vineyard near Las Vegas. If you are ever in Las Vegas you should check out the vineyard in Pahrump, about a 40 minute drive out, it's great!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    We all have different reasons for being here, different way of motivation.
    I have my pic on my profile, just not as profile pic, and never saw it as a problem.
    We all are different individuals, some are shy, some more open. Many people here fight serious self esteem issues. It's no miracle they don't wanna show themself on the internet, where everybody can see them. It's easy to forget that the internet is worldwide and you never know who looks at your pic.
    I've seen people who got hate emails, where they were told they are fat and ugly and whatever, even here on MFP. And that can be more than just a downer. So I respect everybody's decision, if they show a real pic of themselves or not.
    I do understand what you mean, so no worries. But maybe it's really just for motivation.
    Personally I highly doubt someone would believe they get more friends if they post a pic of Brad Pitt on their profile.

I have no issues with anyone who does or doesn't post pics of themselves... it's their own decision. I know what it's like to fight the inner body image demons- hell I am still doing it on a daily basis. I just get annoyed when someone sends me a friend request with a picture of brad pitt and expects me to believe it.

BTW, you're profile pic is adorable!! Lovin it!
    I don't think it would ever occur to me that somebody was trying to trick me into believing they were Brad Pitt if they used his photo for their profile picture. :laugh: I hope my profile pic doesn't annoy you because it doesn't show my face. I kind of liked the muscles in it, and I'd have to be a contortionist to get them and my face in the same shot. :tongue: Sometimes I use one of our Shelties as my pic. I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to trick them when I do. :wink:
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Can I get an AMEN from the congregation!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    my pic is me.... I really am that hideous

Someone thought I was doing what you are talking about, but in reverse.. Like wow , nobody is really that ugly..... ummm yeah, I am

You are not hideous lol!

So OP:
    I get what your'e saying. Here's my real face in all of it's no make up no fixed hair mugging with my baby glory. I have belonged to a ton of forums and am a gamer- it has always been a HUGE pet peeve of mine when all of the female players would post unbelievable avatars. Reverse image engine search can be quite a killbuzz when the boy gamers discover the reality LOL.

Anyway show your real face at least! ITA.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I have never been bothered by it. Maybe people are posting their inspiration or they are protecting their privacy. Whatever it is, it really doesn't affect me in any way. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say I wouldn't friend someone because of their picture. They may have some great things to say.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    <
    This picture is NOT me. In real life I am a Men's Health underwear model.
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    Whoops guilty...
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I use a picture of my dog when she was a puppy because I think it's a cute picture. I haven't uploaded a picture of myself for a couple of different reasons. One reason is I can't stand to see myself the way I currently am and another reason is for privacy. And even though I don't post my picture I do have to say that the swimsuit model profile pics do irk me. I get intimidated around physically "perfect" people and if I thought I was actually talking to a swimsuit model or even a lookalike I would get freaked out. It's my own insecurity and it's my problem to deal with so it's not fair to take it out on someone else. But sometimes I can't help but feel on edge.

As a side note, you would probably hate this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/135407-pictures-of-bodies-that-motivate-us-what-we-want-to-look
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have the same peeve. But I totally understand some people prefer not to have picture up on the internet. Even in this day and age of facebook and social media, some people are paranoid about it and that's fine.

My main photo is me and always will be, although I did add pictures of Brad Pitt and Daniel Craig pic among my other photos. They have the body style that I am shooting for so I use them for inspiration. (Yes I realize it's pretty corny.. Would never do that on any other internet forum, but somehow it feels slightly ok here).
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that each profile is personal for the person who created it. I give more thought to the words and actions of the person's profile and my interactions with them then a picture that they have. I've had everything from cartoons, kids, sayings to the real me. But to condemn people who put pictures up of healthier bodies (no matter who the picture is of) I think is hypercritical. As for the comments about oh they want me to think it is Brad Pitt ... unless their profile name is Brad Pitt I don't think they are really trying to pass themselves off for him.

Again, this is just my opinion on the subject.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Anyone else get annoyed when people post photos that are obviously not them? It irks me when someones weight loss ticker says they need to lose 125lbs and they post a photo of a 105lb model on the beach. Or that suddenly Brad Pitt wants to be my MFP friend. I understand that maybe it's for motivation- like putting a skinny pic on your refrigerator or something, but I like seeing the real person.

Ok, just wanted to get that off my chest LOL

Happy Sunday!

The reason most people are in here is to deal with body image issues. Some may or may not eventually post their own images. Some may never. Sorry it bothers you.
  • Charlie001
    Options
    When I use "The Mighty Thor" as my profile pic..........It is me. It is my persona. It is who I strive to be in all ways. To me my hammer!