Is anybody else eating 1200 calories per day?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 calories today...

... for breakfast.
  • subjecttwo
    subjecttwo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started off eating 1200 calories, but I was always hungry and thinking about food, so I adjusted my goals to around 1400. The higher amount works much better for me, personally.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    nope. that is only the recommended calories BEFORE exercise. Its just not realistic to only eat that much everyday. Just add in exercise and eat some of the calories earned back. Or don't and be super hungry. Exercise is how I eat what I want when I want and still lose.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I started off eating 1200 calories, but I was always hungry and thinking about food, so I adjusted my goals to around 1400. The higher amount works much better for me, personally.

It's amazing the difference just a couple hundred calories makes to attitude/adherence. During my current cut, I started at 1971 net calories and later bumped it to 2100. Only slightly more than a hundred daily calories, but made a huge difference. (It was the difference between having nothing at the end of the day and having a tiny snack.)
  • hferrel19
    hferrel19 Posts: 13
    Options
    I hope this works for me I just started today. I am way over on calories. I also usually eat more. I thought I was eating well when I started but I guess not. Hope I can make the 1200 calories tomorrow. I hope everyone else can keep up the good work. :)
  • mwkimmel
    mwkimmel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 calories a day. For me, it's not that difficult to keep. Most days I don't hit that net value due to my heavy cardio exercises. Some days, I'm left in a negative net. However, ever since I started my keto diet, I've been reaching my net goal easier; my protein shake alone, is almost 1200 calories.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised to read that so many people are budgeted 1200 calories by MFP. I guess I'm a big girl since my budget is 1680! But many days like today I eat good-for-me food and still come in under 1200. But I'm not yet on an exercise regime. About all I can say for myself is that I stand up all day (including at the computer).
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200, this week upped it to around 1475. I'm still struggling to net 1200 lol...with exercise days especially, it's easier on regular days.
    It is difficult balancing feeling full and calories...like last night I absolutely felt stuffed after dinner, because I ate a very large quantity of veggies that were low cal.

I'm sort of tempted to try and work out a mock day ahead of a day, where I work out all the calories and fit them into the macro goals, and then eat that and see how I go.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200, this week upped it to around 1475. I'm still struggling to net 1200 lol...with exercise days especially, it's easier on regular days.
    It is difficult balancing feeling full and calories...like last night I absolutely felt stuffed after dinner, because I ate a very large quantity of veggies that were low cal.

I'm sort of tempted to try and work out a mock day ahead of a day, where I work out all the calories and fit them into the macro goals, and then eat that and see how I go.

Pre-planning/logging is a great tool to use. It takes away the "I'm hungry right now and need a solution right now" problem that leads to eating too much/not hitting your macros...and it also ensures you'll hit your macros, which isn't always easy to do when you're winging it. (It's sad to get to the end of the day, have X amount of calories left, and they need to be all protein and fat to reach your minimums. Well, okay, "sad" may not be the right word...but it can be challenging.)

And if you're having trouble reaching your 1200 net, I suggest eating more calorie dense food. Falling short of 1200 consistently is *not* a good thing. Undereating leads to a number of problems, from long-term adherence to decreased energy. Fortunately, your pre-logging idea is a way of dealing with that. Good luck.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) yes I think it will get easier after a while getting used to it/fitting in more calorie dense foods. I've been trying to just eat more even if it goes over the macro's a little, I can work on getting that part right, but eating enough is important.
    Definitely working on planning my intake for tomorrow now!