• LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

alf, I'm sorry to hear you didn't get a better answer about your foot. I think the PT might still be able to help, even without a diagnosis. Just make sure they listen to you when you're describing the pain/feeling you are experiencing and not just handing you a sheet of paper with standard exercises to do. Nothing upsets me more than the latter, especially when it happens without somebody talking to me first.

tron, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. :flowerforyou:

singfree, when I was working out at the gym this summer, I experienced a few of those 'muscleheads' you were describing. A tad annoying, especially since all of the free weights were racked in front of the mirrors as well. So I had to work my way through those enjoying their images in order to get my weights. Not fun. One of the many reasons I'm an at-home exercisers. I imagine it is taking some time getting used to this new schedule. I know it would me. We're in for more rain today (and tomorrow) too. I hope we don't get too much flooding.

patty, welcome!!

LadyPersia, good morning!

All here is well. I'm doing the P90X Shoulders/Arms workout today and a bit of Turbo Fire cardio. I'm definitely enjoying this P90X rotation right now. My eating is clean again, and I feel better every day. I'm still fighting cravings quite a bit, but it is all emotional right now. This time of year seems to get to me pretty badly because I just want it to be spring already!!! But doing something like P90X is helping me get through that.

Hope you all enjoy your day!
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! If you celebrate Lent, you know what time it is! :laugh: I don't, but that's no excuse. This is a great time to clean up my eating and get on track. A little discipline never hurt anyone.

It's official--I only need to do my IV every other day. Y'all don't know how liberating that feels! The pressure is on me to eat right--enough protein by mouth on my own to sustain myself. No more carbfests for days on end! Weight loss surgery helps the physical part of weight loss, but we all still have to work on our mental perspective and our behavioral habits. Darn. :laugh: I am driving 3 hours to see my weight loss surgeon today, then seeing my PCP tomorrow to see what each has to say about my progress.

Not doing great on my walking challenge or my water intake. Oy. I don't know what my problem is. Today I refuse to drink much water because of my road trip. There are bathrooms only every 90 minutes or so on the interstate. I don't know if I'd make it! I'm going to walk around just a bit with a patient at the hospital today. I wish I had a pedometer to let me know how many steps I'm taking. I'll see if the hospital has them.

Tron, I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. I know it's a great loss. My gran is 82, and I love her like crazy. She acts younger than my mom does!

Alf, see if your doctor is willing to give you an MRI. It shows a different picture than an Xray, and it's not radiation, it's sound waves. My knee is wacky, and the Xray showed that I have a teeny tiny bit of arthritis, but it was flaring up and acting a fool. Maybe you have something tiny that's not bad on its own, but may be flaring up and giving you trouble.
  • niknik43
    niknik43 Posts: 36
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Alf...I don't know the history on your foot pain but I was experiencing excruciating heel pain about a year ago and was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis (pronounced fash-ee-itis). I won't bore you with the details and cure here, but if you want to know more, just msg me.

Tron: So sorry about your loss. I loved my grandma, too, and I still think about her almost daily.

Patty: Welcome! This is the best group for support!

Anyone: What is a P90X?!

Nothing really new around here...except blue skies. Glad to see that after 3 days of dark and dreary and about 8 inches of snow. Spring...where are you?????

I did sneak a peek at the scale (I usually weigh on Fridays) but I've been doing so well the last few days with exercise and eating right that I wanted to see if it was all for naught...and it wasn't! I'm down a pound and can't wait until Friday for my official weigh in day!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! :happy:
  • gbryant
    gbryant Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

Tron - So sorry to hear about your lose, It is never easy. You are in my thoughts.

Patty - Welcome glad you have joined.

Not alot of time to reply to everone, but thinking of you all!

Doing better myself. I have almost got my voice back. Was not able to work out for a few days, but did stay around my calories even without the extra cal's you get from exercise. Soooo I am hoping come Friday I am able to loose some weight still. Going on my 3rd week without Mt. Dew. That is saying something for me. I use to drink around 40 oz. a day everyday if not more. It has been an adjustment to say the least. Now that I have been away from all that sugar I have felt alot better. Amazaed at the effects it was having on my body.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Tron, I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers for you and your family. How is your brother doing?

gbryant, congrats on your accomplishment!!! Sodas can be a huge problem for a lot of people! Keep up the good work.

niknik, congrats on your weightloss!!!! :drinker: You are doing great!!! I've had plantar fascitis in the past, long time ago. This is different. I agree with most of you that I should have an MRI. I am hoping the PT can help me as well. So far so good, does not hurt anymore, it could be the naproxen I am taking. P90X is a fitness program, sold by beachbody.com, featuring Tony Horton. It is mainly a weight trng program. It is done in 3 months. A few of us here have done it. Stiring is doing a second rotation of it. I have also done ChaLean Extreme by Chalene Johnson, same trainer who does Turbo Jam.

Victorious, glad to hear you dont need the IV daily. :drinker: I've heard those who gain weight after the type of surgery you had are those who did not work on the mental part of it. I am glad you realize that is an important part of the process.

Any Vegans here? I have been thinking lately about becoming a semivegan or flexitarian or Lacto-Ovo Vegan. I want to start slow. I already eat snacks and sometimes breakfasts that are pretty much "vegan" meals. For example this morning I had oats, organic soy milk, blueberries, walnuts and chocolate protein powder. That was totally vegan. For lunch I am having a salad with garbanzos and sunflower seeds and a pear. Snack, greek yogurt (lacto), strawberries and .5 oz nuts. For dinner I am planning some grilled salmon with a salad, maybe some grilled sweet potato. Pretty vegan right? any suggestions? let me see how long I can pull this off. I have been eating very healthy lately, I think it is because I cant exercise as much as before and I am really tired of going up and down with my weight. I am, though, very happy that I have not gone back to my pre-MFP weight of close to 150!!! :drinker:

I am Catholic, not practicing, but I try, so for Lent I am giving up alcohol, sweets and limit one cup of coffee a day.

Have a glorious day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your concern about my grandma. Like I said before she was a strong independent woman and I only wish I will be able to live on my own for as long as she did. She only got sick a few months ago and when she did move in with her daughter it was to be her care taker. She had cancer....

Alf... My brother and his wife are not taking the death of their baby well at all and it is affecting their marriage to the point that they are filing legal separation and talking divorce. Its really sad.

My exercise yesterday consisted of my treadmill working on the hills. I walked over 3 miles at a 4.5 speed

1 lap @ 1.5 (lowest elevation)
    1 lap @ 5.0
    1 lap @ 7.0
    4 laps @ 10 (highest elevation)
    1 lap @ 7.0
    1 lap @ 5.0
    and the rest @ 1.5 while talking on the phone....

I don't know why but I always feel like I didn't do enough.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Alf, I think I am going to give up sleep for lent. :laugh: And no alcohol during the week. Wait, i'm doing that already! I could only become a vegan if (A) I had a personal chef like Oprah, who would prepare fabulous and delicious meals; or (B) I had to kill my food before eating it. I love meat, but i couldn't kill anything to get my meat fix. Something tells me neither of the above is going to happen!!

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

niknik, congratulations on your continued weight loss! You're doing great!!

gbryant, giving up soad is SOOOO hard. I gave up Coke about 25 years ago (I could drink a six pack a day when I was a teen if I wanted to), and I still had cravings for Coke years later. I don't anymore, but it took a long time to get it out of my system. But you'll feel SOOOO much better for doing it because there is absolutely nothing good about soda.

tron, I'm sorry to hear about your brother and his family. That is so sad. And you're doing great with the workouts. The key to working out effectively isn't really how much you do as much as it is how you do what you do. The important thing is to keep changing it up and to continue to challenge yourself and it seems you are doing just that. It sounds to me like some days you are walking, others you are running, and that's terrific. Keep varying the incline (and it sounds like you are doing that) and you can get a great workout in in less than an hour. As long as you are feeling challenged, you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. If you aren't feeling challenged, then take up the intensity. But congraulate yourself for what you ARE doing.

alf, like singfree, I'm not giving up anything for Lent either. I thought about it, but there is so little 'treat food' left that I take in regularly for me to give up that I don't want to give up that little bit even for six weeks. :blushing: Kinda sad there. About being Vegan, I've done alot of research on the Vegan diet. Of course, being Vegan means eating no animal products. While I probably cuold give up meat at some point, I would have a harder time giving up cheese (I like things like spinach lasagna or veggie pizza too much and while I know you can make both without cheese, I prefer not to) and eggs. Regarding the latter, I have a hard time thinking about baking/cooking for the rest of my life without eggs or butter. While I know it can be done, again, I prefer not to. I also know that I don't have it in me to research all prepared products to see if they have a hint of animal fat in them (because many do even though it isn't specifically noted on the label). As far as whether the Vegan diet is healthier....well, it can be and it can't be. There are Vegans who eat too many refined pastas and rices out there, and that's not particulary healthy. So the diet itself isn't synonymous with 'health'. As far as eating animal products, as long as they aren't consumed TOO much and are consumed smartly, there really is no significant evidence that they are particularly bad for health (in fact, there are many animal products that are good for health). So my recommendation to you is to determine why you want to become a vegan (for ethical reasons, for health reasons, etc) and make sure that your needs are being met by the diet. If you do decide to become vegan, I have a podcast recommendation for you. It is called 'Vegetarian Food For Thought' by Colleen Patrick Gudreau (I may not have spelled that right) and you can download it free from iTunes. Her rationale for being vegan is predominantly ethical, so much of the podcast is about animal rights. But she is also a vegan cookbook author, so there are alot of helpful hints for cooking vegan.

Today is very rainy here in the DC area. I'm going to be doing some tough cardio followed by YogaX. :drinker: My diet is still clean. :drinker:

Hope you have a great day!
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all!

I am a practicing Catholic so during Lent no meat on Fridays or on Ash Wednesday (yesterday). Yesterday, I had hummus on pita for breakfast (I know, not typical breakfast food but I can eat it in the car on the way to Dallas), Italian vegetable soup and a green salad for lunch, yogurt for snack and then a bean taco and a cheese enchilado for dinner. I can actually go for several days without meat and not miss it. For Lent, I am going to try to Do something versus give up something. The "doing" will be more consistent exercise. Need to get ready for the river in the summer!

Had a great ballroom dancing class on Tuesday night. Since I am the only "single" person in the class, the instructor uses me to demonstrate. He is such a good dancer that he makes me look like I know what I am doing. At home, hubs was able to do some of the steps with me. I think I might be able to talk him into taking the next session with me. We will see...

Tron, so sorry to hear about your grandmother and your brother and his family. I will keep them in my prayers.

I am off to Austin tomorrow to pick up my daughter and then head to Fredericksburg for a girl weekend. I think we are going to go out to Enchanted Rock and try to climb it.

Redbuds in bloom here now. It should be a pretty weekend. Take care all! TxMs
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I worked out in the weight room. I don't want big muscles but it will be so nice to see definition.

Stiring... I feel the burn when I am doing the hills and cant wait for them to be done but then I do the last laps on the lowest incline and by the time I am done I am not out of breath anymore so I think I should do more. Same with the running. I always do the cool down period. I am actually happy that my recovery period is getting shorter as well as being able to do more. I just hate looking in the mirror, I seriously look like a kinda skinny pregnant woman. Its just gross. I am so impatient I tell ya.

My eating hasn't been the greatest this week. My daughter bought a ton of candy and I've had a few pieces... 1... 10... 20... or so... Haha!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Happy Friday!

TxMs, good to see you. I love your approach to Lent. I was trying to think of something more positive to do for Lent as well than giving something up, but I just couldn't come up with anything. I'm still trying to work on my New Year's Resolution, and the last thing I need is something else I don't do too well at right now. :ohwell: Glad you are still enjoying the dancing. I hope you get your husband to join you in the future.

tron, are you counting those last laps at the lowest incline as part of your workout or as the cool down? If they are the cool down, then you are doing great! If you are still working out during those laps then I recommend a couple of things. First, make sure that your heart rate really is coming down before adjusting anything. It could be that it simply feels easier than the hill climbs and such, but that your heart rate is still up in your training zone. If it is, you're doing what you need to be doing. If your heart rate really is falling out of your training zone, then maybe keep the incline up a little bit more. And keep doing your cool downs. They are important.

Regarding the 'tummy' issue, there are a couple of things here. People are genetically predisposed to carry fat in certain areas of their body, and much of that depends on our hormones. Women who are more estrogen dominant carry it in their lower bodies (as an example). As we age and our estrogen hormones start changing, all women have a tendency to start carrying more fat on their belly. As women, we have fat.....moreso than our male counterparts. You will never get rid of that. Where men can easily take their bodyfat percentages into the single digits, women can't. Anything below 15% for women is getting really low. Most women our age are between 22% and 25% when they are at a healthy weight and working out. But there are a couple of things you can do to help the situation....avoid processed foods, avoid sodium, and workout with some intensity. But it will take time because that's where you body wants to carry the fat and your body wants some fat....so it will take fat off other parts of your body FIRST. Frustrating....but reality. So don't beat yourself up over it because if you are doing those things above (eating correctly and exercising), you are doing everything you can do for yourself. And think of this is terms of your health more than in how you look. You are doing great things for yourself right now that will benefit you for many, many years. Celebrate that. :flowerforyou:

Friday check-in.....I got some great workouts in this week and am finishing my second week of P90X. I'm loving it. I also have eaten clean all week which makes me happy. I'm much happier with how I look and feel right now than I was a couple of weeks ago. So, all in all, a good week.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Happy Friday!

We have gone from snowy to slushy and swampy this week...yuck, what a mess! But I suppose this means spring is coming so I'll take it.

It has been a decent week all around. Aside from my gigantic eating day yesterday ( on account of date night w/hubby), I have been very on track with eating and exercising. Routine...a little dull, but I think I'll take consistency any day over lack of it. I kind of defaulted to more elliptical training this week, as well as continuing to do level 3 of the 30 day shred--not every day, but maybe every other day. I like it so much I have continued on it an extra 2 weeks. I don't know if it's the weather or what, but I'm a little low energy and zoning out to music and not thinking--something I can do on the elliptical--has been about all I can muster.

Alf--interesting you are looking into eating vegan. I have never thought to do it, although with what you mentioned in your post, I do eat similarly to you for meals. I tend to eat primarily vegetarian during the day but then have a protein for dinner (chicken, fish, some grass fed beef or lamb) most nights, with a full vegetarian dinner maybe twice a week. It seems to work for me but I don't think I could ever 100% subscribe to a restricted diet. I also love my dairy products. We all do the best we can do. With regard to meats, we have mostly gone with local, grass-fed and now buy in bulk for the year or season. And my hubby in the fall sometimes contributes various birds during duck/goose seasons. I could never hunt but he does w/birds and when he brings these home I am in heaven.... this is something I never heard of when I lived in the suburbs but all the sporty guys here in VT are into it. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is we have "opted out" of the industrial meat industry and I feel good about eating the meat that I do have in my diet.

Anyway, Stiring--so great about the P90X. I'll have to check into it now that I'm not scared of exercise videos anymore. :)

Tex--enjoy your girls weekend! Sounds like so much fun!

Tron--so sorry about your grandma. And it's heartbreaking about your brother and sister-in-law. I'm so sorry and wish you strength in helping them cope.

have a nice weekend everyone!
  • gbryant
    gbryant Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

Just a quicky this moring, so much to do today.
    Hope everyone has a great weigh in.

I am down another 2.8 lbs. I have lost 8.8 lbs in just 3 weeks. How much do you think this is water loss and actual weight loss? I have not talked much about my dieting to any one, this morning my mom asked me if I had been loosing weight, and a few days ago a friend of mine said that I looked like my face was thinner.
    I dont think I look that different when I look in the mirror.
    Any on else know if this is how it usually goes or am I gonna rebound at some point because its all water loss?
    Really worried this is not for real. I so dont want to gain any back.

Hope every one has a great weekend. Mine is not going to be so good, have dinner dates tonight and tomorrow night. Love having friends, just not all the high fat food's that comes along with eating out at steak houses. I will just do the best I can. I am glad that I only weigh in once a week ,will really have to hit the gym hard all next week.
  • cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello all - It has been awhile (again....). It has been so wonderful to catch up with everyone. I have been good about logging on....but not about reading and/or posting. I started the C25k! I am on week 4. I am going to have to repeat week 4 as this week has been crazy. I am almost back to my pre-christmas weight....which makes me happy!

It is great to see some new faces and reconnect with the "old"

It has been a busy and stressful week for me....we are moving to Houston!!! My husband will start his new position in April. The kids and I will follow during the summer. I have started the list making of what needs to be done to the house to sell it, contacted roofers and painters and handymen, what kind of house I want in Houston - (thankfully, I have already researched areas and I have decided upon that). I just need to see the high school to be sure - the house is secondary to the schools.

We are trying to figure out what the relo package means.....as we have never done this before!

We will tell the kids tomorrow......this is the only bad part about the move.
  • niknik43
    Options
    Happy Friday!

I'm down 1.6 this week and feeling so good about the food choices I've been making and exercise I've been doing. I don't know what has happened to me, but I just felt this "shift" at the end of January. I just woke up one morning in January and said "this is it." (After 20 years of waking up miserable and telling myself that I really need to do something about my weight and then sludging into the kitchen to eat...whatever..) Sure, I have slip-ups every once in awhile but for the first time in my life, I can keep the bigger picture in mind. The feeling of having control over my eating and activity level is kind of euphoric. I feel so empowered! I feel like I can do anything! And I love how I feel physically when I'm eating "clean". No more IBS. No more headaches. The only physical discomforts I have right now are from my buns and thighs being sore from exercise...and that's a good kind of pain. :wink:

Sorry to ramble on...I'm just a little excited about the progress I've made. I have never...NEVER...stuck with any kind of weight loss program this long or had this much success. Not with WW, not with Jenny, not with Atkins, not even with HCG. And the best part is, I'm doing it all on my own. Well, on my own AND with the wonderful support, advice, knowledge, and inspiration found here on this forum. :smooched:

Thanks everyone. Have a great day!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I was looking at labs work from 10 years ago and I was healthy. MY BP and weight were normal and I worked two jobs raising boys and went to school. Now at 43, My BP is too high, I cant loose the weight and I need meds to reduce my BP. Even if I have to stay on meds, I want to reduce any other additives I put in me. Just a venting session sorry.

Have a great weekend and for my friends on the West Coast and Japan be well and you are in my prayers.
  • KimKelly65
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Work has been off the hook this week, so I haven't been able to post. Its good to see so many have great results.
    Congrats to all the losers!! :happy:

I weighed in today and lost 2lbs. Im down 18lbs so far, almost a qtr of my goal. YAY!! :smile:

Tron - Sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you.

I don't think I could ever be Vegan, I really do like meat. Especially a good burger!

Im trying to catch up on chores this weekend. My sister and her husband are in town from the east coast and we are getting together on Sunday for lunch and visiting. Im really looking forward to seeing them.

Everyone have a great weekend!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How do you join this club? Just start posting? I'm over 40 and joined MFP last week.
  • niknik43
    Options
    How do you join this club? Just start posting? I'm over 40 and joined MFP last week.
    Yep...I just joined last week. There is awesome support in here!