40+ Club: Spring Fitness Challenge

Options

Replies

• Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    gbryant - congratulations with the Mountain Dew! I'm not sure I could be as successful if I had to give up coffee. :ohwell:

Alf and others who are interested in vegan - My friend has a recipe site and blog, JL Goes Vegan (http://www.jlgoesvegan.com). Check it out! Try some of the recipes and see how you like them. She's enjoys the lifestyle and is super health-conscious. Me, I need my protein to the max, so count me out. :happy:

Texssippian - I love that you're doing a girl's weekend. My girls and I have been trying to plan one for months. We have a friend who works in the travel industry, and trying to pin her down on a date and location is the worst. Have a ball!

cef957 - Relocation...I'm the queen! :happy: Your relo counselor should be helpful in explaining any questions you may have. You have done the right thing by picking your "to" location, and prepping the house for sale. And, you're right, the school district is more important that the particular house. Houses in better districts also have better resale value for if/when you get relocated again. Good luck on your move! I'm sure you and your family will love it.

KimKelly - Have a great time this weekend with your sister and brother in law. I love spending time with family when we can. We're "relocated" out into the boonies away from everyone, so it's a treat when we can get together.

I'm concentrating on getting my protein in this morning. I'm on my 3rd protein shake! When I finish this and eat my eggs, I will have had my total required protein intake for the day already. That means I need to stay away from carbs and junk for the rest of the day.

My DH, DD and I are going shopping for matching shirts for an event at our church. I'll use any excuse to shop! I'm hoping that we'll get nice shirts, and maybe have a family picture taken in it. Since my hubby lost weight, I'm hoping he won't be so camera shy.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
  • Gargoyle69
    Gargoyle69 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great site. Great support.

Rock on,

Dave
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Just checked in really quickly this morning to catch up with everybody and see so many great posts!!! :drinker: How inspiring it is to read about all the success you've all had this week. :flowerforyou:

Robin, have you looked into any other Jillian Michael's workouts? I've heard great things about 'Burn Fat, Boost Metabolism'. I understand it is a similar style to 30 Day Shred but a little longer than the workouts there. I've got her 'Six Weeks Six Pack' workout, and if you are looking for tough core workouts, they're there. I highly recommend P90X. Do you have alot of weights? It does require some variation of weights. Another Beachbody program (P90X is a Beachbody.com program) you might want to look at if you are interested in a strength training routine is CLX. alf has done that, so she might be able to give you some pointers. There is another program out there that just came out called Supreme 90, which is 10 DVDs for $19.95. I've heard GREAT things about that one as well, but haven't done it yet. The good thing about that one is the workouts appear to be somewhat shorter (30-45 minutes) but effective. Just some thoughts. As you can tell, I'm not afraid of DVDs either. :tongue:

gbryant, 8.8 pounds in three weeks is actually a pretty healthy weight loss. I lost about 12 pounds in my first four weeks of weight loss, and it was 'real'. No doubt some of it was water weight as I changed my diet, but if you are doing the right things (eating right, working out, creating a calorie deficit, etc) there is no reason why your weight would start going back up. You may plateau down the road for a couple of weeks, but don't panic over that. It is perfectly normal. But it sounds to me like you are on a good track right now. Congratulations!

cef, good to see you!! Great work on C25K!!! How fun!!! Moving is no fun, but it looks like you are approaching it the right way. Hopefully it will be nice that your husband will be familiar with the area by the time you get down there. That keeps the 'shock levels' down for me...when my husband knows where he is going when we're moving somewhere. Good luck and keep us posted. I understand how stressful moving can be so be nice to yourself during this time!!

niknik, congratulations on your loss this week!!! You have every reason to be excited about it. And don't apologize for 'rambling'. Have you seen the lenth of my posts? :blushing: I LOVE how you described how empowered this makes you feel. That's the one thing I continue to carry with me even though I've been at maintenance for almost two years. I still feel like I can do pretty much anything I set my mind to because I proved to myself that I really can take charge and do good things for myself. Cherish that!

LadyPersia, getting older isn't easy, that's for sure. But you are doing great things for yourself right now. Hopefully that will lead to getting off the BP medication. And if it doesn't, it doesn't. Our friend singfree is on BP medication and is as fit and healthy as a human being can be. So sometimes it just happens. But think about what you are doing, not what you were able to do. I fight with comparing myself to these 20 something people around me alot wondering why I can't look that fit and healthy. And then I remind myself that I'm 45 (almost 46) and remember that for 45/46, I'm doing pretty darned good. So are you!

KimKelly, congratulations on your weight loss this week! Enjoy your time with family.

Dawntodusk, welcome!! Yep....just start posting. We'd love to hear more from you!

Victorious_One, good job on the protein this morning. Hope you enjoy your shopping trip today!

Gargoyle, Rock On back at you!! Looks like you're doing great!!!

Today is a down day for me from working out. :drinker: I'm planning on spending the day with my DH who has been gone nearly every week since the first of the year. Woke up to sunshine, which feels great. Maybe we'll go hit some golf balls today. Okay, maybe he'll hit some golf balls and I'll try to hit some golf balls. :blushing: Hope you all enjoy your day.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Stiring...Thank you for your words of wisdom. It was a minor set back. I like the age I am and want to be around for my grandbabies. So I will continue on this healthy path.

Hugs and prayers to you and your family Tron

I do read all the post but sometimes by the time I start to type I forget everyone names. So.... everyone keep up the great work and yes this is an awesome site and a awesome group!!! Thank you for all of your support!

Kim
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Oh mine!!! I should have posted yesterday!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: So many posts!! And this computer better not kick me out of internet after I write a novel. Sooooo many people to congratulate!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually all of you!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Keep up the good work!!!

Tron, I am sorry to hear about your brother. They have been through such a devastating loss. I hope they can work things out. :cry:

Thanks for all the vegan ideas, comments. But I am not wanting to become a 100% vegan, no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: :laugh: A semivegan or flexitarian, yes!!!!! I truly dont feel I need as much meat and might be a good thing, for me, to cut back some and try other healthy foods. Victorious, thanks for the site. I will check it out! As for Lent, from what I know, it is about sacrificing something you like, usually food, during Lent, so that is why I am giving up those treats.

Tex, I love Fredericksburg, it is so pretty. Enjoy!!! The weather is fantastic!!!

LadyPersia, try not be so rough on yourself. ((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Welcome to all the new members!!!

Have a great one!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! Sorry I've been MIA again. Work has been kicking my butt lately and I do not know what happens to my time. I have been really bad about logging in on here and reading the thread. :frown: Been thinking of you all and it is nice to see so many new faces on here.

Working out has been going well, got a new set of weight exercises to do from the trainer and holy heck are they hard. :laugh: But I am starting to see more definition in my arms and I'm happy about that. Want to be able to wear sleeveless shirts this summer!

Signed up for my first 5k next month, and I think my partner is wimping out on me. May end up doing it by myself, which will be okay, but I was hoping she would pull me along when the going got tough.

Other than that, not much is new. Still waffling back and forth on the same 3 lbs which drives me nuts. I eat clean 90% of the time it seems to me. Oh well. Long as I'm not gaining, I guess that's good.

I'm about to hit the big 56 and I decided that my birthday present to myself was to continue working with the trainer for another year. He keeps me going and encourages me to get even stronger, so why not?

Will try to comment on here more, too. I love reading about everyone's progress and struggles. You all help me continue on in my healthy journey!
  • altushe
    altushe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Happy daylight savings time everyone!

Well, for the first time in several weeks, I am starting to feel a little happier. Sunday weigh-in (and ankle size) seem to indicate edema is starting to subside. Don't want to judge yet, but I am hoping this is a sign that the iron pills are restoring the right equilibrium in my body. I actually was able to wear my leather dress boots and high heels yesterday for the first time (to a Bar Mitzvah/and party) since early January. The anemia and some side effects like extreme weakness (and frostbite) are still not gone, but maybe after 10 days now, the iron pills are starting to help. Will keep you posted…

I was very busy week last week with a full week of meetings in Orlando, Florida (where it was nearly as cold as in NY). Despite the trip and the anemia though, it was a good trip. Eating and exercise were good and the scale confirmed this morning that I am finally on the right track (hopefully).

A tip for those traveling and concerned about weight/healthy eating. While Disney generally is know for it's excellent customer service, I found that telling the waiter (or in this case the chef) that you have special dietary needs is a much more effective strategy than just trying to ask if they can substitute or prepare something without X, Y or Z, etc. The bottom of all of the restaurant menus indicate that they will accommodate "special dietary needs", allergies, etc. and I found that they prepared foods and substituted healthy items without a hesitation. Chefs are obviously more concerned with violating people's food allergies than accommodating weight loss/maintenance or healthy eating preferences, but it did seem much more effective when I said "I cannot eat…" than when I have made "requests." We will see if that works in NYC where I tend to limit my going out to a very few very accommodating local restaurants.

There are still some scary signs that the anemia MAY be due to some internal bleeding so more tests next week, but at least I am starting to see some improvement.

I tried to keep up with posts during the week, but was more limited on time (and energy!) than normal. I hope everyone is doing well. Will catch up later and write more soon. Thanks for the support as I work through illness and maintenance WITHOUT eating in despair!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!!! :drinker: I will be MIA until possibly Tuesday. I am heading out to Ft Hood today to work recruiting soldiers for a Genetics/PTSD study. My daughter and grandbaby will come along with me, they have friends there, so it will be nice to also spend time with them.

Cardigirl, so nice to hear from you. We've missed you. I am glad you are doing so well!!!! :drinker:

Altushe, glad to hear you are feeling better. I really hope they get to the bottom of your issues. I am still taking iron pills but my doctor reduced them to two a day instead of three. I am no longer anemic but my iron is still in the low end of the scale. In the past it has lowered when I stop the pills. They think it is mostly due to my heavy periods. Take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:

Have a great Sunday and Monday!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LadyPersia
    Options
    Happy Monday! Reading to kick butt this week. Have an absolutely Awesome week everyone!
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, everyone! :flowerforyou: It's going to be a GREAT week for us all!

My family and I participated in a fun event yesterday evening with our church. Families were encouraged to dress in matching outfits like teams, and we competed to get the most points on various 1-minute games. My husband won the free throw competition. My daughter is a hula-hoop champ for sure. I had the most fun with a stupid game they had when they make you put a pedometer around your head and shake it up and down until you get 150 steps. :laugh: I'm still cracking up at it! I was so dizzy! I also did a game where I had to shake some golf balls out of a kleenex box that was strapped around my waist. It was a hoot! Great exercise, great connecting with others, and a great time together as a family.

My goal this week is to walk at least 3 times. This not-walking is NOT working! :indifferent: I have been doing better with my water, getting in at least 2 glasses per day + other fluids. That's better than 0 for a week like I was doing before. I'm getting there!

____________________________________________________________________________

Dave - Rock on indeed! :bigsmile:

Stiring - Did you and your hubby get a chance to golf? How did it go? I'm glad you got a chance to connect.

Alf - I LOVE the term flextarian! On the JLGoesVegan site, JL cooks with her husband, and he eats meat. She references non-vegan versions of her recipes as well, so check it out and enjoy! It's also great that you're studying PTSD. That can be so debilitating. I worked with women who had it after being in abusive relationships and/or growing up in abusive households.

Cardigirl - You are ROCKIN' IT with the working out and training! What an inspiration! I think that giving yourself a personal trainer for your birthday is an amazing gift. I love working with trainers. It's been a long time for me...

Altusle - I really hope everything works out with the edema. See if they can check your protein, albumin and pre-albumin levels. Protein deficiency causes edema as well. It's rare to be protein deficient eating a "regular" American diet, but you never know. Have them search everywhere until they find the answer and fix it! Great suggestion on going to the chef for special food needs. I do agree that restaurants are more likely to care about allergies and whatnot than weight loss. I'm going to try that at the Mexican restaurant. I HATE cilantro now after my surgery--my taste buds changed. I'll see if they can come up with something for me if they think I'm gonna swell like a blowfish in their lobby. :happy:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Sorry I was not able to post for a few days. We had our Grandson this weekend, and everything gets quite busy when he is here for a visit!

Back to work, night shift slowly getting better. I'm going to hit the gym this afternoon.

Have a great day1
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

singfree, I'm glad you had your grandson this weekend! How fun!! I'm also happy to hear the night shift is getting better.

LadyPersia, I'm ready to kick butt this week too! Let's go!!

Victorious_One, sounds like you had graet fun yesterday. I hope you get your walking in this week. It really does make a huge difference. My husband and I actually got out and hit range balls yesterday. It has been six months since I've played golf, and I only started last summer. So I need to do some practicing before I even think about getting back on a course. It was so wonderful to just spend some time outside for a little bit yesterday.

cardigirl, great to see you! I think your birthday present to yourself is a great one. You are doing so great!

altushe, I'm happy to hear you are feeling better, though I'd be happier if they had been able to identify the source of the problem already. I hope that's coming soon. Take care of yourself!

alf, sounds like an interesting time you might have at Ft. Hood. Take care!

All here is well. We had beautiful weather this weekend. We spent most of it looking at cars. We've been trying to live with only one car since we moved here to the DC area, but it is getting more and more difficult. I don't know what we are going to do yet about buying, but we had fun looking. My eating wasn't very good on Saturday, but I got back on track yesterday so that makes me happy. I also started week 3 of P90X yesterday. I can't believe I'm already going to be at a 'recovery week' next week. This rotation is flying by right now, and I'm loving it.

Hope you all have a great day!
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all! Back from a great girl weekend in Fredericksburg with my daughter. The weather was beautiful.

Sing, I thought about you while there: Lots of German food and it is "hell week" which is a week-long cycling event. The motel where we stayed was full of cyclists none of whom was close to my age (all MUCH older) and as my duaghter said, RIPPED! I have never seen so many 60+ gentlemen looking so hot!!! (And not temperature wise).

My 60 year old hubs (much older than me...) actually took the bike out for a ride yesterday.

My daughter and I climbed Enchanted Rock on Saturday. I am glad we got there early. We could see the cars backed up on the highway waiting to get into the park when we got to the top of the rock (168 feet up). On the way down, we were following a boy scout troop. We all ended up off the trail having to climb over large rocks. Legs are a little sore today but not too bad. We did pretty well with our eating since my daughter is very careful about her food. We got German food on Saturday night but ended up bringing most of it home.

Victorious one: regarding water intake: I have a large (64 oz) insulated cup that I have had at work for the last 22 years. I fill it up each morning with ice and water and drink on it all day if I am at my desk. I also have a refillable water bottle I bring with me when I am not at my desk. I have found that you can get an empty refillable bottle through airport security easily particularly if you put it in the bin with the top off. Once through security, a food vendor has always been happy to fill it for me.

Atushe: about iron pills, make sure you are getting plenty of fiber while taking the iron supplement. You may want to take a fiber supplement while on the iron.

Welcome all the new people and hello to the regulars! Bluebonnets are starting to come up here in north Texas. Have a great week.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Good afternoon from snowy, sloppy, melting northeast Kansas!! We got a surprise snowstorm last night - nothing in the forecast and then something in the atmosphere shifted and we got dumped on! 6" at my house, more 20+ miles away where I work. Wet, heavy snow, gorgeous falling last night, but not a fun drive to work this morning. Best of all...........most of it has already melted and we're supposed to be back in the 50's tomorrow and warmer the rest of the week - yeah!! I really hope this freak storm was the ldes of March being silly and we're done with winter.

Started Walk Kansas yesterday. It's a 7 week statewide program. I'm part of a team of six women here at work, our team name is "Cmon Awaya Beacha"!! It was cold and snow when we were choosing team names and we all agreed that something tropical sounded wonderful! :laugh: Each Monday we report number of minutes of exercise for the week, along with # of servings fruits/veggies. Not sure why we have to report that, but we do! I didn't get out to walk or do "official" exercise yesterday, but I spent 90+ minutes cleaning and vacuuming the house, so that's what got logged for the days' exercise for me! It's a neat program, and provides a much needed motivation boost in the spring, especially when the weather turns dreary as I know it will again.

Still struggling with shoulder pain. :grumble: :grumble: It seems to have moved out into the left shoulder and wants to stay there - my back and neck have been feeling pretty good. I'm going to try to make it a couple more days before I go to the chiropractor again to see if I can get the pain worked out myself.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Not much to report from here!

MK, the snow is beautiful, but I am ready for spring!!!! All the snow is gone, but the rivers are all quite high since we received nearly 7 inches of rain last week. And we are getting another inch in the next day or so.

Tex, Glad to hear about your time in Fredericksburg. The German food sounds great, the bikers, not so much. We were on vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC several years back. We arrived there at the end of Bike Week. Too noisy for us. I like to ride motorcycles, but I'm not into the "leather" look. Just jump on the bike and ride, no matter what I am wearing. I have a Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic. Looks like an older police cruiser. Lots of fun! I agree that some of the old guys are "ripped", but the ones with the long gray ponytails...another story...

Stiring, I can see you in a BMW Z4 convertible...can't you? :flowerforyou:

Have a great day!!!!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

singfree, I can definitely see me in a BWM Z4. Unfortunately our bank account has different ideas. :tongue: Speaking of rivers, we spent some time down by the Potomac this weekend and I was really surprised how high it is right now. We're due for more rain as well this week, but there hasn't been any mention of possible flooding. Yet. But it looks like it is a possibility.

mk, sorry to hear about the snow. I think we're done with that for the season. Not a bad winter here at all. The Walk Kansas program sounds great. I imagine they are having you track your fruit and veggies to illustrate this is about health, not just exercise. I think that's a pretty good approach. Having people to do this with sounds like fun. Sorry to hear you are still struggling with shoulder pain. I hope you can get that fixed soon.

TxMs, your vacation sounds great! Sounds like you definitely got out and enjoyed it and your time with your daughter.

All here is going well. I got some good workouts in yesterday. Today is P90X Plyometrics, which is fun. I'll probably also add on add some more cardio since I don't find that particular P90X workout too cardio-intense....and I need my cardio. My eating has been really good (except for Saturday), and that makes me happy. Still struggling with cravings, but at least I'm winning the struggle right now.

Hope you all enjoy the day!
  • gbryant
    gbryant Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all.

Tron- You have been in my thoughts hope you and your family are doing better.

Singfree - Congrats on the new grandbaby, I am hoping soon that my son will tell me they are expecting.

StringWendel and Victorious One - I have fell off the wagon, I broke down and drank half a can of Mt. Dew. Thank goodness it didnt taste as good as I remember.

Gargoyle69 - We do have a graet site, hope to hear from you often.

Texssippian - Congrats on your climb, sounds like you had a good time.

Cef97 - Wow I understand the stress of moving, good luck and try not to stress over it to much. It will all come together.

Niknik - Great progess, keep up the good work!

Lady Persia - Hope you can get your labs get better for you, and I am alot like you its hard for me to remember everone once iIread through all the posts, I try and make a few notes. That helps me.

Kim - Great job on your weight loss.

Dawn - Glad to have you join our little group. Its very supportive.

Cardgirl- I to am going to run a 5K im May, Good luck on yours!

Altushe - I am glad you are feeling better. I hope that you have continued progess

mkwood - sorry to hear about your shoulder issues. I hope they improve very soon.

Robin - If you are like me you are so ready for spring. It is suppose to warm up here in OH by the weekend. I sure hope so.

Not much to report here except that I have not done very well since the weekend. Its hard to get back on track. I went way over on calories on Sunday, I just could not get full. Now I am paying for it. Alot of stress at work with all kinds of stuff going on, hard to get to work out during the day having to go run after work when I have so many other things I need to be doing. I fell of the wagon and drank half a can of Mt. Dew, I hope to be back on track the rest of the week. I am a stress eater and it has been so hard not to grab everything in site. Lots of candy and cookies coming into the office all the time Oh well.
    Hope everyone has a good week!
  • LadyPersia
    Options
    Ready and Reading hahaha. I should really do what I tell my kids to do and reread what I type.

Had a beautiful day in NEPA. I played in the garden and shoveled leaves. We have 20 plus fish still in the pond and we mapped out our expansion for this spring. I sooooo needed a outside day.

Be well xoxoxo

Kim
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    We just got back from Nevada last night and sense its my birthday today we decided to celebrate it there with the crab buffet... Gosh crab is so yummy!!!!!! I was gonna use the peppermills gym but we had so much running around to do that we didnt get back til almost 10pm and of course it closes at 10.... Wish it was like Circus Circus and stays open 24 hours.

Stiring.... I use the last laps as a cool down but do I count them... Heck ya. Not so much as an exercise point of view but included in the amount of laps I walked/ran.

I'll get caught up on all your posts later I've gotta get ready because we are gonna go to the movies tonight.
  • KimKelly65
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Happy Tuesday! Its been another busy week at work and I haven't had time to post till evening. I have been making time to work out but its been after a long day at work and it makes it late to get home for dinner. :frown: But my hubby is great and has been starting dinner lately. :smile:
    I am walking in the Mini Heart Marathon on Sunday with my co workers. Im excited because the last time we did a walk (Halloween, Run like Hell, for Cystic Fibrosis) I was heavier and out of shape. Im hoping to be able to keep up with everyone and get a great workout. Its 3.2 miles and Im hoping to walk it in about 45 mins or less. Wish me luck!

Tron - Happy Birthday!

Texas - your trip sounded fun! I bet your walk to Enchanted Rock (is that right?) was beautiful!

Altushe - glad you are feeling better! Keep us updated.

Cardgirl and Gbyrant - Good luck on your 5K runs!

Striring - Im with you ...would love a BMW but my pocket book says "NO WAY!"

Have a great week everyone...hoping I can post prior to the weekend!