a few answers about losing 131lbs... and counting

Options
newDZ
newDZ Posts: 237 Member
I love it iIlove it iIlove it... it took me a minute to get my mfp act together too.. but then after that it was smooth sailing. Keep it up folks the result will show.

Right now I myself have devise a "forced plateau" where by I give my body a break to adjust before I go after my final 30lbs. I realized there came a point when my body would plateau anyway and I saw it as a defeat or issue rather than recognizing the potential.

So after each 40lbs or so-- iIwould figure out my calories needed in order to NOT lose weight. To stay the same... yup you heard me right. At this period of time I am the MOST deligient about logging in my food, because if I didn't I could end up gaining weight. Don't get me wrong this ain't a free fro all. But I allow my myself lots of wiggle room. And I wiggle I get in some form of exercise.

Then after 2 months my body responds to my return to losing weight like a CHEETAH chasing a prey!!!! I think because for that "managed" time-off my metabolism adjusted and my brain wasn't in weighloss mode.

THIS MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE- and I would have never attempted this if I didn't spend time (the last 2 years researching and also getting in tume with my body/mind/spirit)

-i never eat low-fat or fat-free (too much crap)
-i drink at least 3-4liters of water a day
- i don't drink sodas (if i need a lil something-something i made lemonade or iced tea)
- do use stevia
- i try to sleep at least 5 1/2 to 7 hours
- i don't let other people's stress or insecurities get to me (it's a size too big for my life)
- i try to not let my own stresses get to me either
-i clean out my closet regularly now (something i started doing once I hit 80lb loss-i got rid of all items too big for me- i don't wanna go nake so it keep me honest because i don't have anything over a size8 to wear) (caveat--- i only kept one capri pant that's a size 26 which whenever i need a motivator i pull out and hang on my closet door as a reminder- but then when i'm in a good space i fold it back and put it in the drawer til it need to come out of the bat cave and do it's great motivational-super-pants-hero-job)
-i take a multi-vitamin
-keep some of my goals to myself (everyone doesn't need to know everything to either poo-poo them or cheer them--- the cheers can come once it's done)
-i look at tons of before and after pictures
-i have my vision board as my screensaver on my phone
- i listen to good motivational speakers
-i buy good fruits and vegetables
-I EAT a salad at breakfast
- i listen to my body and watch it's responses (if i eat cheese and the next day i have the sniffles hmmm that's a reaction-- i wait a few days and see if it happens again--- then i devise a plan so my life isn't about "nevers"... now i know limit cheese and carbs (or save them for when I really want them rather than mindless habitual eating)

THESE ARE ONLY A FEW OF MY STRATEGIES... I am not preaching or teaching. But many have asked what I did. I tried so often to follow other peoples' plan or diets but what I have learned on this journey is trust me. I came up with what works for me. I eat delicious and GUILT-free. Believe me guilty eating is worst on the hips than the actual ice-cream.

My last bit of advice if you like sometype of pre-package thing- learn how to make it yourself. You'll treat yourself to better ingredients than any old company ever will. They don't care what they stuff inside that box... but you should care what you stuff inside your body.

Ok jumping off my soap-box (how many calories have I burned jumping off..lol:smooched: :happy: :happy:

Replies

• newDZ
    Options
    sorry for the typos folks... lol
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Great Post! Thanks for sharing. Awesome progress, just awesome.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I love it! Great job you! Interesting idea about the forced plateaus... I will consider it when I hit mine. Lots of great, motivational advice, thank you!

And again - congrats on your progress so far! Woo hoo!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    This was awesome to read (despite the typos, lol). Thank you so much! I might actually try that forced plateau. Was it hard to stick with for 2 months? Also, what's a vision board?
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Absolutely fabulous advice. I've been wondering about putting myself on a plateau for a bit to give my skin a chance to catch up.
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    Very inspirational!! Congrats on losing the weight and keeping motivated. It's good to hear what has worked for other people...
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am copying this and sending it to everyone who still hasn't joined MFP!
  • DarthBubbles
    Options
    Thanks for posting this (and congrats)!
    I was just wondering last night what I can do when I end up hitting a plateau. I think I will end up trying this!
    Btw, you look fabulous! Your hard work speaks for itself :happy:
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your strategies :)
  • newDZ
    Options
    "what's a vision board"

it's basically cutting out pictures and quotes from magazine of what you what and intend. i even framed mine and hung up nicely so i would easy it every morning when i woke up.

it can be focused on one thing -- ie great bodies, exercising, eat right

or it can focus on lots of things- great bodies, cars, vacations, smiling happy carefree people, beautiful home, etc.

if you google vision board you'll see ideas... and i think oprah has info too.

basically it's the "visual" equilvalent to writing down goals.
  • ediegram
    Options
    All excellent advice!!! Thanks for sharing! And wow on your progress!!
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Your advice is awesome! After all, who better to advise us than someone who has done "it"!!!

Congrats! Sounds like you've earned every pound! :)
  • newDZ
    Options
    -i never eat low-fat or fat-free (too much crap)

by this i mean i eat REAL BUTTER, REAL CHEESE (good ones), REAL FULL FAT GREEK YOGURT, REAL HEAVY CREAM... etc

when they take out the fat they add sodium, articifical sweetners, sugar, tons of chemical flavorings,

it's better to weigh/measure portions of real food than just trust that "fat-free" stuff.
  • newDZ
    Options
    WOW... YOU GUYS, THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS.

I was a bit worried for a minute that folks would think I was preaching. But I could only share from my point of view. This site has been fabulous.

I find everyone inspirational... even when we are struggling (there's a lot to be learned in everyone experiences).

There's no good no bad... just us all trying to figure things out.

Thank you everyone for INSPIRING me.
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    thanks for your post and congrats on an amazing weight loss, that's pretty incredible. I also totally agree with maintaining during weight loss, it definitely works. Especially as this is a way of life and not a race, the slower it comes of the better.
    Hats off to you,... amazing.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    As I was reading your post, I realized how much in common I am with some of your goals, and I didn't realize it, or take the time to think about it (which is probably more like it).

Rather than force it, I am convinced you wrote about something very positive - listen to your body. Watch what it does, and have fun with it. Keeping some goals to yourself doesn't tell me you're not sharing...it tells me just how confident you are.

This is a fantastic read! Thank you so much for putting it together. It will surely help me.

Congratulations on your fantastic journey! Keep up the good work.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Awesome, just awesome!
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!!! I completely agree on the "real" food and the stevia--get back to natural--forget the plastic/toxic non-fat/low-fat stuff and your body will thank you! Best of luck on the reat of your journey!
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What a great motivator! I have hit several plateaus inmy quest to hit my first 100 and I have let them get to me. I figure out I know how to maintain...but I am not ready for that. Maybe if I also plan like you I can get past them. I do know when my body is ready I can drop like 11 lbs in a week. Hmmmm. I too have finally learned to give up the Fat free/Sugar free stuff. I find I just eat more of them and sometimes they just do not fill that crave. If I eat the real stuff once in awhile, I feel more satisfied and tend not to binge. I do not eat butter that much but when I do I eat real butter, ditto on the cheese. As I get better at lable reading I realize how much sodium I was taking in and why I had to be on meds for swelling.HELLOOOOOOO.
    I dumped all my splenda, but do have stevia on hand.
    I can't wait to hit that first 100 and to keep on going. Great job-keep it up and thanks for the posting!!
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    I loved reading this!!

I feel the same way about the fat-free foods. And I'm one of those people that if I deny myself the foods that taste great and that I love, I'm probably going to fall off the wagon HARD at some point. But now, it's all about moderation. I allow myself to still have all of the foods that I love, just less of it!

Congratulations! I know that in a year, I will be in the same place!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!