Water, Water, Water!

Options

Replies

• Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I usually run about 85-110 oz a day. More if I'm working, less if I'm home all day.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    80 for real this time!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    32 oz so far today!
  • chrissyh
    Options
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Back on the wagon, didn't do so well yesterday. :ohwell:

60oz down!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    64 working on 72
  • chrissyh
    Options
    80 down the hatch!
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    80oz down and just filled it up again. :happy:
  • klininger
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my co-workers think I have a problem since I spend so much time in the restroom. LOL!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my co-workers think I have a problem since I spend so much time in the restroom. LOL!

We're all having that problem!:laugh:
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Forgot, starting right now.

:embarassed:
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    Okay. Fell off the water wagon again yesterday. Back on today!

20oz down.
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
  • larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    STOP THIS INSANITY IMMEDIATELY.

YOU ARE DRINKING TOO MUCH WATER.

More isn’t better: Too much water can make you sick, a condition called hyponatremia where you essentially waterlog your system.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no evidence to suggest that drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day will make you healthier. (eight 8-ounce glasses is 64 ounces of water, in case you didn't do the math. Those of you drinking 100+ are going way overboard.)

Why are you doing this? Perhaps you heard that drinking more water will help you lose weight.
    Truth? NOT REALLY. Drinking water before or with your meal may help you feel fuller faster. And if you're replacing your regular sugary soda with a glass of zero-calorie water, then yes, it may help you reach your weight loss goals quicker. But simply upping your water intake -- without cutting back on calories -- isn't going to wash away those extra pounds.

SO PLEASE. YOU'RE ONLY PUTTING YOURSELF IN DANGER, AND ENDANGERING THE LIVES OF OTHERS BY ENCOURAGING IGNORANCE.

Truth is that most people require only about 32 ounces of water a day, and that INCLUDES ALL non-alcoholic beverages AND ALL foods. Most of your food, unless it's very dry, has quite a bit of water in it. If you have a 12 ounce glass of juice in the morning, water at lunch, and a glass of milk at dinner, you're already at 36 ounces of liquids, not even counting the liquid in your food.
    If you are eating healthy fruits and vegetables that aren't dehydrated, and drinking normally, you're probably already getting more than enough liquid in your diet.

Rule of thumb: If you're peeing more than 4 times a day, you're drinking too much.
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    From http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 :

So how much water does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? In general, doctors recommend 8 or 9 cups. Here are the most common ways of calculating that amount:

Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.
    Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.
    Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.
    Even apart from the above approaches, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's best for you.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

40oz down! :drinker:
  • JStarnes
    Options
    Rule of thumb: If you're peeing more than 4 times a day, you're drinking too much
    Seriously? You're putting a limit on pee breaks?! :huh:
  • JStarnes
    Options
    I'm putting a limit on pee breaks today - the city is shutting our water off at 2pm, so I can't use the potty after 2pm. We're closing the office at 3, but still, I'm limiting intake to avoid having to drive somewhere, and possibly have to do the 'pee dance' while waiting on a public restroom. Ick.

So - 6oz so far. I'll make up for it once I'm home & have regular access to a flushing potty. :laugh:
  • Nessarose1
    Nessarose1 Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I'm going to go with the "just ignore it" aproach. lmao Kityngirl posted well.
  • larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    From http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 :

So how much water does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? In general, doctors recommend 8 or 9 cups. Here are the most common ways of calculating that amount:

Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.
    Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.
    Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.
    Even apart from the above approaches, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's best for you.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

40oz down! :drinker:

At least by doing some research you're helping cure the ignorance. I still want to emphasize the fact that the 8x8 rule is contested and the studies they've done to test it have shown that 8x8 is overkill for most people. Athletes are obviously excluded from "most people," and having done some P90X recently, I'd say if you're doing that, you're an athlete, even if you don't feel like it.

You can all ignore me all you want, but the science doesn't change. Mayo Clinic just asserted that "most doctors recommend 8 cups of water a day." What they don't tell you is that "Most Doctors Recommend" that because that's been the standard for decades, and nobody knows where the rule came from. Therefore, not based in science any more than astrology.

And for JStarnes: NO, I'M NOT putting a limit on pee breaks. That would be ludicrous. What I AM saying is that if you have to pee more than 4 times a day, you can safely decrease your fluid intake.