Substitution for mayo in tuna?

Options

Replies

• 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I tried the hummus suggestion today.....deLISHus!!
  • twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Spicy mustard for me! Tastes better to me!!!
  • LS13
    LS13 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to pickles in my tuna too & I use lemon juice & black pepper with it. Sometimes when I want it to feel more like the tuna my mom used to make I still use a very small amount of mayo but when you mix it with the lemon juice it thins out and goes much further but with all the taste! Sometimes if i have some of the small tomatoes around I cut those in halves or quarters and throw them in just for a different mix.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Oh this is yummy - lime juice, chopped cilantro, and a bit of red onion if you like it! It is TO DIE FOR!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I tried the tuna and cottage cheese thing last night-- mixed one part tuna, one part cottage cheese, and served it as a sandwich on toasted multigrain bread. It was AWESOME for less than 300 calories, and I didn't anticipate how filling it would be-- protein bomb for sure! I actually ended up way below my calorie goal for the day yesterday because I just plain didn't feel like I had any room left after eating that sandwich!

I have a new pre-hiking food now, hah. =D
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I much prefer it dumped on a plate with lemon juice sprinkled on it. Or put on a tossed salad. Not sure why the mayo you mentioned. Tastes great plain or with lemon juice.
  • TiredOfBeingRound
    TiredOfBeingRound Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've mixed my tuna with cottage cheese! Sounds kind of gross but its good. And is quite filling. Not sure about the pickles though.

Let me know if you try it and what u think!

Good luck!

WIN! Protein bomb! :P

Yes! I want to try this. :)

Yay....I'm glad some of you tried the tuna and cottage cheese! I was right huh? Yummy!
  • lilscuder
    lilscuder Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I use KRAFT Fat Free Mayonaise. Can't tell the difference !
  • Heidi_015
    Options
    bump!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow would be tasty on just about anything, but I eat mine drained with just black pepper.

Alot of the other posts sound pretty good too, I'll have to try some of them when I get bored of plain tuna.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I use miracle whip with my tuna, much lower calorie than mayo and I like the taste too. Yes it has a little sugar in it, but not enough to matter.
  • woodsnwind
    Options
    thanks!
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    I've mixed my tuna with cottage cheese! Sounds kind of gross but its good. And is quite filling. Not sure about the pickles though.

Let me know if you try it and what u think!

Good luck!

I was going to say that too!!!

Here in in Aus we have a pickle/gerkin cottage cheese so would be ok
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    double post
  • cami78
    cami78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    130g tuna
    1tbs olive oil
    juice from half lemon
    2tbs fresh chopped dill
    1 small red hot chilli pepper or tabasco habanero
    1 garlic clove if you have no plans for that day lol
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    bump
  • doyoumeangreen
    doyoumeangreen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I make lemon pepper tuna because I'm obsessed with those Bumble Bee Sensations Lemon Pepper, but they're like over $1 more! I simply read the back of the Sensations label one time and here's the recipe diet-i-fied:

Drain the tuna
    Empty it into a resealable container
    add salt free lemon pepper seasoning
    add 1/4 packet Herb Ox Chicken Flavored Sodium Free Bouillon Instant Packet
    add lemon juice (1 tsp should do it per can)

mix together with a fork, chill for an hour plus (I just throw it in my lunchbag and ice it when I get to work for a few hours)

Serve with crackers, put on salad, whatever. It RULES.
  • ffemtchris
    ffemtchris Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like either the Smart Balance Omega-3 mayo or the Miracle Whip fat-free spread.
  • Ninetta
    Ninetta Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this was mentioned.....my mom uses wasabe in hers and she LOVES it!

It's about 5 cal for each tsp.

Hope that helps :)
  • MyBeautyIsSkinDeep
    Options
    I mix mine with mustard. Or apple cider vinegar. Most of the time I just eat it drained from the can on crackers or with spinach.

Yes this way is the best I have tasted to ,,, and good for you !!!:bigsmile: