New Balance N4 heart rate monitor

Options
Hi all. I have a question. I just recently purchased a New Balance N4 heart rate monitor. I thought I would be able to add my weight to get a true caloric read. But I can't find a way to do that. I have read the manual and searched online. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, how do I add my info? Thanks in advance!

Barb

Replies

• melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just bought the same one and was able to do it.... when you are in HRM mode, make sure it is cleared by holding light/set for 3 seconds. Then press and hold light/set again. it will say set HOLD keep holding down button. Then Age will come up, set your age by using start/stop to go up or view to go down. When done hit mode to select male or female in similar manner, then mode again to set level of intensity (see manual for descriptions) and then mode again to see hi and lo heart rates corresponding to level you set, mode again to see units of measure ft lbs for america, mode again for height and then finally mode again to see weight.

if you need more help let me know!

Thanks!
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    @Melissa thanks so much for that. I tried and tried everything (I thought) and could not figure it out. I had planned on taking it back tomorrow but thanks to you I will keep it! :happy:
    Thanks again

Barb
  • melissa0001
    Options
    Awesome I am glad i was able to help!
  • melissa0001
    Options
    double post
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Awesome I am glad i was able to help!

I used the monitor last night and I loved it! I feel like I am getting a truer read on cals because of all the info the monitor ask for.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Barb
  • nmnohr
    nmnohr Posts: 6
    Options
    Just wanted you both to know how helpful this was for me! I couldn't figure it out either, thought I read the instructions, and this did the trick!! Thanks for posting the original question, and thanks for having the answers :smile:
  • Traci3B1
    Traci3B1 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just bought this monitor as well and I am wondering if I have to reset the intensity level every time I change workouts or if it will automatically change. Also does it save my weight every time?

Thanks

Tracie
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love my New Balance N4 HRM, and all the helpful people in MFP!! :heart:
  • jwoodard50
    Options
    Do you have to load your height and weight in cm? I can't find how to change it.
  • jell52
    jell52 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks so much for this! I just bought one and was trying to figure it out! :) So excited to start using it! :)
  • kmmille385
    kmmille385 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I bought this the other month. I put all my information in it (Height, etc), but how do I actually use it for a workout? Like for a workout dvd or something? I am sometimes technologically impaired! Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • Luvmysixpack
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread. Asfyxia I just set the timer and go for a video or any other exercise. I am interested in keeping heart rate up and calories though. That is the only way I have been able to do it so far.
  • TeriTegland
    TeriTegland Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    yeah I am not quite clear on how to get started with it. I did not have any trouble setting time and entering all my info but now what say i am going to take my walk ,I just strap on the chest transmitter then what with the wrist monitor press mode button? hold down till HRM? then what ?
  • TeriTegland
    TeriTegland Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I bought this the other month. I put all my information in it (Height, etc), but how do I actually use it for a workout? Like for a workout dvd or something? I am sometimes technologically impaired! Thanks :flowerforyou:
    Well did you figure it out? I'm right there to, I have everything set but don't quite get it from there. I want to know when i am in fat burning zone.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have the watch set to HRM by pressing the Mode button, then press Start when you begin your workout. When you're done, hit stop, then press & hold View to save it as a "Run". Then switch from HRM to Data and you will see your saved run (it holds up to 9). It will cycle through the date of the workout, the time/length of your workout, the amount time you were in your target zone, calories burned, fat percentage, your max bpm, and your average bpm. Then you can record your time & calories burned here on MFP.

When the memory is full of 9 workouts, while on the DATA mode, press and hold Light/Set and it will clear all the data and you're ready to save another 9 workouts!
  • rockrosie
    rockrosie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just got one of these and have been wearing it around the house.... I did workout this morning, but my calories burned seems really, really high for just sitting here. Thoughts?

I mean, I'm just sitting here, and I'm burning 200 calories an hour. Just sitting here.
  • GkazPES
    GkazPES Posts: 1
    Options
    I've always used a POLAR hrm and recommend them to all of my clients. They practically wrote the book on heart rate monitoring so I trust them. You may put out a few extra dollars depending on what you are looking for in a HRM. Purchase through an authorized dealer so you can take advantage of POLAR warranty. FT4 or RS100 would be comparable models to the N4. Much easier to obtain work out data also.
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it. I can't tell you how to set or change the input of information (I had my 13 year old figure that out for me) but I can tell you I just record after each workout. I'm not "saving" information in there. And if you think you're seeing artificially inflated calories, maybe set the exercise level to medium instead of light?
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I just got one of these and have been wearing it around the house.... I did workout this morning, but my calories burned seems really, really high for just sitting here. Thoughts?

I mean, I'm just sitting here, and I'm burning 200 calories an hour. Just sitting here.

You will burn calories doing anything.... including sleeping. I burn 1.1 calories a minute while sleeping so that would be 66 calories in an hour :wink:
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you fro posting this!!! i lost weight since buying this hrm. my son snagged my user manual & now it's m.i.a. I serched online & only came to dead ends.