New Balance N4 heart rate monitor

Options

Replies

• jenazbananaz
    Options
    I just bought this wonderful little device, New Balance N4, but I can't seem to get it to work. I bought it used through Amazon. It included no instructions or anything and the previous site with the user manual no longer exists. The chest strap isn't reading a heart rate, or the watch isn't picking it up at all. I changed the strap's battery (cr2032 was in it and I'm not sure if that is proper size), held the watch close to the strap, and nothing... no heart rate is being read. I've never had a hrm before and I have no clue what to try next. Any suggestions or any link to an existing user manual? I would really appreciate ANY help!!!
    =)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just bought this wonderful little device, New Balance N4, but I can't seem to get it to work. I bought it used through Amazon. It included no instructions or anything and the previous site with the user manual no longer exists. The chest strap isn't reading a heart rate, or the watch isn't picking it up at all. I changed the strap's battery (cr2032 was in it and I'm not sure if that is proper size), held the watch close to the strap, and nothing... no heart rate is being read. I've never had a hrm before and I have no clue what to try next. Any suggestions or any link to an existing user manual? I would really appreciate ANY help!!!
    =)
    Make sure the watch is in HRM mode. You need to wet the black rubbery sensors on the chest strap - use your own saliva, lick your finger and rub it on the side that goes next to your skin - make sure both sensors are good and wet. Wear the strap right under your bust, mine sits right under the elastic band of my sports bra. Check the watch, it should be picking up your heart rate. If it's not, cycle through the modes of the watch again, back to HRM. It should pick it up within a few seconds.
  • jenazbananaz
    Options
    Yeah, tried and another failure. =(
    Curious to know what size battery size is the one in the strap?
  • becka9266
    becka9266 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just replaced the batteries in mine today, and was searching online how to reset all my weight info.

The band battery is a CR2032. The watch battery is a CR2025. For the watch you'll need eyeglass screws to replace it.

I definitely recommend trying to replace the battery in your used watch, when my battery went dead that's exactly what the watch did.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I replaced my chest strap battery on my own, it was really easy. When the watch battery died (and the watch went fast - was working fine, then I pushed a button one morning and the whole display went dark!), I took it to a jeweler and had them replace it - too many tiny little parts in there!
  • sarbeth87
    Options
    I just bought mine at target. Brought it to the gym and my trainer helped me enter all the info. But it's not picking up a reading at all :( I tried saliva at first and then I wore it while doing cardio and still got nothing....it just has the three lines that keep flashing....am I doing something wrong? Or did I just get a faulty one? This is my first hrm.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Make sure it's positioned correctly, right under your "girls", under the band of your sports bra. And those sensors have to be really wet - not just a bit of saliva, but a lot. :tongue:

Have you tried cycling through all the modes, back to HRM to see if it will pick up? Sometimes mine does that if I put the strap on and I'm not wearing the watch yet and it's too far away...I hit the mode button and go through all of them until I'm back to HRM and it picks it up.
  • ajidizon
    ajidizon Posts: 1
    Options
    where can i find a manual for n4 hr monitor? thank you for any help i can get from this forum.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    where can i find a manual for n4 hr monitor? thank you for any help i can get from this forum.
    I had a link bookmarked to an online manual, but the page is blank now, no instructions. Bummer. Searching around, but not finding much. Look back through this thread or use the search feature for more topics on the N4, you might find the info you need. If not, ask here and I'll try to help.
  • BodyRebooted
    BodyRebooted Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just got my NB N4 hear rate monitor too and I can not for the life of me get the HRM to pick up my heartbeat. I've moved it all around and I've wet it with saliva, sweat, and water. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'll purchase the gel if that's the only way it will work, but I'm really frustrated and ready to send it back. :(
  • clarencedeedee
    Options
    I need help I brought the New Balance heart rate monitor and I'm having a hard time setting up. I need basic instructions how to change the mode for one. The main thing I want it to do is track my burned calories during exercise. Please help.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I just got my NB N4 hear rate monitor too and I can not for the life of me get the HRM to pick up my heartbeat. I've moved it all around and I've wet it with saliva, sweat, and water. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'll purchase the gel if that's the only way it will work, but I'm really frustrated and ready to send it back. :(

I use saliva on mine and it works well. You have to get on there pretty thick (gross, I know), but it works. :tongue: Make sure the strap is right under the girls - I tuck mine under the elastic band of my sports bra. If it still won't pick up on the watch, try cycling through the modes until you get back to HRM and see if that helps.
    I need help I brought the New Balance heart rate monitor and I'm having a hard time setting up. I need basic instructions how to change the mode for one. The main thing I want it to do is track my burned calories during exercise. Please help.
    To change the mode, hit the Mode button on the lower left side of the watch - it will cycle through Time, HRM, Data & Alarm.

To set it up -

Time: On the Time mode, hold the Light/Set button (upper left side) until it says Set HOLD and beeps, where it will take you through the options to set the time. Use the Mode button to cycle through seconds, hour, minute, year, etc., use the upper and lower buttons on the right to change the numbers, and hit the Light/Set button again when you're finished.

Your info: On the HRM mode, hold the Light/Set button again until it says set HOLD and beeps, then enter your age, sex, height weight, activity level, etc, again cycling through the options with the Mode button, and setting your info with the buttons on the right. Hit Light/Set again when you're done.

When you ready to workout, go to the HRM mode, hit Start/Stop (upper right button) when you begin, and the same one when you're done. To save and view the info, press and hold the View button (lower right) until it beeps. Then use the Mode button to scroll to the Data section, and it will show you up to 9 saved "runs" or workouts. The display will cycle through the info of the workout, date, length of workout, highest & lowest heart rate, time in zone, cals burned, etc. You can skip to the next saved workout by hitting View (I think? just cleared mine so no saved workouts to check!). When the watch is full of 9 workouts and you are done with the info, press and hold the Light/Set button to erase the workouts and you're ready for the next time.

Hope that helps!
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For all those looking for the manual (it would make sense for New Balance to have it posted) but it's here: https://www.highgear.com/Support/manuals - on the left, click "current products" then N4.
  • Joc4936
    Joc4936 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How do I get to HRM setting, I have tried the light/set button a milion times...help
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    For all those looking for the manual (it would make sense for New Balance to have it posted) but it's here: https://www.highgear.com/Support/manuals - on the left, click "current products" then N4.
    THANK YOU! I had an old bookmark for one, but it was gone last time I looked. :smile:
    How do I get to HRM setting, I have tried the light/set button a milion times...help
    To get to the HRM setting, you have to hit the Mode button until you see HRM on the screen. Then use the Light/Set button while in HRM mode to set your info.
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just got this and I set it all up with my height and weight and put it on to see if it worked. It's showing my heart rate, but it says that for the last 20 minutes (during which time I've run all around my house like an idiot trying to get my heart rate up) it shows 0.00 calories burned. What did I do wrong? I had to have burned at least ONE calorie in that time, even a fraction of one...I was out of breath and everything! Help!!
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, figured it out! You HAVE to start the workout timer before it shows you calories burned, and then it counts them. I'm up to 4.44 just sitting here, but I won't add those into MFP haha
  • Caralee1907
    Caralee1907 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do I have to wear the heart monitor for the watch to keep track of the calories?
  • Caralee1907
    Options
    Do I have to wear the heart monitor for the watch to keep track of the calories? I keep checking with the heart monitor on and off and the calories won't register - what am I doing wrong?
  • Caralee1907
    Options
    Will it keep track of the calories without the strap? How do I use it in the pool since I can't wear the heart monitor in the water?