Sin food - what HAVE you given up?

Options

Replies

• vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh, there is SO much I have given up. Pop was first to go (except with the very occasional drink). I have given up chicken wings and nachos (which also included a regular social engagement with my bf); Tim's ice caps, french fries, my Starbucks has decreased from 5/week down to maybe 1; I no long eat am McD's, Wendy's, KFC, A&W, etc and so forth. SO MUCH STUFF!!!
  • mama_mia3
    Options
    I have given up deep fat fried foods, pop, potato chips, snack foods like twinkies and cupcakes. I find myself not even craving them any more...it's awesome!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I have given up...nothing. Well maybe fully leaded Mt Dew.

Everything else I still eat, just in portions to fit my calorie goal.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Moderation doesn't work for me.
    It's easier for me to stick to eating healthy if I go cold turkey on the foods that give me trouble. It heightens my taste for the healthy stuff.

All fast foods including Subway and takeout pizza
    Donuts/cakes/pies/candybars
    Diet pop
    Crystal Light and Splenda --- just this week
    added sugars ... I'm trying to lose my taste for sweets which have been a huge problem for me
    most processed food
    soft breads/pasta
    frozen "diet" meals
    margarine ... butter only now ... 1 pat per day
    ice cream ... I make a frozen fruit yogurt in my food processor

nut butters ... for now ... if I can find a source that sells individual portions, I'll add it back.

I don't feel like I'm depriving myself at all. I don't deny myself foods from any of the food groups.
    I feel better when I don't eat crackfood.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. I don't think there are any forbidden foods. However, I do have many that I eat only now and then, or in much smaller portions.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    french fries and milkshakes. my weakness...but, i have given them up completely!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    lalala.gif

kay. Really? You can talk about this stuff and it doesn't trigger eating????????
  • SeattleLady
    Options
    Cranberry/ Orange scones from Starbucks or Panera Bread, donuts, muffins, Chinese Buffets, potato crisps (chips), beer, M&Ms ...

I agree! Scones are like 740 calories a pop! Whoah! And to think this was a "normal" breakfast item. Crazy!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about moderation BUT I am also of the opinion that there are 'better ways' to use your calories.

3 small slices of garlic bread is something like 300 calories - I was having those extra calories on top of my evening meal several times a week. It was just easier for me to stop altogether...

I've also stopped eating things like coleslaw on the side with dinner - a homemade side salad is just a yummy and a fraction of the calories.

My aim here isn't just to lose weight it is to re-educate myself about food and put as much nutritious, natural food into my body as I can - without getting too strict about it of course!!!

I still have a few alcoholic drinks per week, I had some cookies last night but on the whole I am trying to substitute the things I used to eat which were just empty calories.
  • mandyb84
    mandyb84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chocolate! No longer having it in the house because it is my biggest weakness. Especially chocolate chip cookies, it's crazy. Soda as well but I wasn't huge into soda before, just would have it when other people were so I am done with it now! I opt for water only now. :)
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating the Hershey's miniatures in the candy jar at work. They refill it daily, but now I just walk on past.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Chips
  • viadelorosa03
    Options
    flamin hott cheetoes and brownies (I've had each of them only once in the past year i've been a member of mfp).
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Given up entirely

Diet Pepi
    High sugar products like cake, and ice cream (my birthday was yesterday so this was the first thing to come to mind) - lol
    High sodium products (if I know they are high, so many manufacturers hide sodium well) like chips, high sodium soups, etc

These were things I determined I could live without if I wanted to lose weight and get off medications. Once I lose my weight I will look at moderation, but most likely I will just never touch these products again. It is a mental game for me, I attribute these products to my weight gain, so I guess they are my scapegoat - hehe

Everything else I still enjoy, just in smaller quantities. Portion control was my biggest problem. I already liked the taste of good food, but eating to much of good foods adds pounds too.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Flaming hot cheetos and they should so good right now.
    Fast food.
    Any meat other than seafood. (Pescatarian now)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    lalala.gif

kay. Really? You can talk about this stuff and it doesn't trigger eating????????

Not anymore it doesn't, maybe when I first started out it would have. These days I view these foods differently, they are 'evil' in my head now - hehe Just picture any of these food with little horns and a pitchfork beside it. :laugh:
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fried food, french fries, soda, sweets. But the cravings are there. If they aren't in my house I stay away.
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    starbucks
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I won't cut out anything, but have cut down. I only get "designer" coffee drinks once a week now when I used to get them every day....I've also cut back on my flavored creamers which saves me a surprising amount of calories!
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've given up anyything fried I find a way to make a baked version or don't eat it, soda and juice, and anything from work I've worked in fast food for 8 years and I'm sure those quick meals have added up huge, oh and except for when we were on vaacation only eating at home or packing meals to go at work.