Angry! Your messing up the food database!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you........

I've changed many that were wrong and I had the item with nutritional info in front of me but I didn't know that when you correct it, it only shows in your list and not in the full database available to everyone.

Maybe there is a way that they can set up the database so that it adds the food searched only to each users database (my foods) and the actual foods in the database section will be only from the owners of the site for people to use but not change or edit in any way, avoiding incorrect information......
  • jackal75
    Options
    I like the idea of everyone here putting a (US) , (Canada), or (UK) on all new foods and ones that they make corrections to.

I also think that we might want a [date] tag too, since we have established that some labels are likely to change occasionally.

Let's agree on a naming convention!! Let's make sure all the info is in the title! Don't put "Kroger Wheat Bread" when it should read "Kroger - 100% Whole Wheat Buttertop Bread (US) [Feb28,2011]" Also, when possible put in the per serving quantity and the per container quantity so that it appears in the dropdown!

With 5 pages of folks posting on this, we should be able to put a dent in this folks! :drinker:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of everyone here putting a (US) , (Canada), or (UK) on all new foods and ones that they make corrections to.

I also think that we might want a [date] tag too, since we have established that some labels are likely to change occasionally.

Let's agree on a naming convention!! Let's make sure all the info is in the title! Don't put "Kroger Wheat Bread" when it should read "Kroger - 100% Whole Wheat Buttertop Bread (US) [Feb28,2011]" Also, when possible put in the per serving quantity and the per container quantity so that it appears in the dropdown!

With 5 pages of folks posting on this, we should be able to put a dent in this folks! :drinker:
    Excellent suggestion. I'm going to do this from now on.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    It wasn't directed at just you, FYI. But everyone responding to the thread needs to know that not all of the entries are 'wrong' because they are not what you have directly in front of you on your packaging. Items vary from region to region, state to state, country to country. It's simple.

yeah, this is really important and such a great thing to note! I will gladly add US to any product where I have a label.

But I am wondering if there's a way to list whole foods first. The problem I have is that I don't cook from boxes, so I need something like "milk" to list just regular milk (even 1%, 2% etc is fine for the first, say 5 entries) and not "milk chocolate" or "milk and cookies" just milk.

does that make sense?
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like Jackal75's suggestion.

I will do that from now on.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    But I am wondering if there's a way to list whole foods first. The problem I have is that I don't cook from boxes, so I need something like "milk" to list just regular milk (even 1%, 2% etc is fine for the first, say 5 entries) and not "milk chocolate" or "milk and cookies" just milk.

does that make sense?
    Yes.

What I did however was I created a new food using the nutritional label from a carton of the milk that I always buy. That way it shows up in the "My Foods" tab but I can search for it by the brand name and the word milk. That always brings back just one match in the database.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options

does that make sense?

Not really an overall solutution, but I find that you get to know what to search for after a while.
    I know to search straight away for "milk whole" for milk
    "suagr granulated" for plain white sugar
    and add "raw" to most veges, fruits and meats to quickly bring up what I want

i also know that the bread rolls I buy are listed under "woolsworth" rather than "woolworths", whoever entered them had a typo, but the info is right so I use it :laugh:
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I agree that that is completely frustrating! I usually will google something if I am not sure because there was no label. My biggest frustration is going to a restaurant that doesn't have nutrition info available for its customers. i don't care if you are not a franchise! I like knowing what you are putting in my food! woo... sorry didn't mean to go off there.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Have to echo that I agree with the complaints. I usually check the info by a food to make sure that the food I'm adding has the correct info. My biggest frustration comes with the occasional food items that mostly have correct information, but have 0 mg for sodium listed, when it actually has 300-400 mg. I need that sodium info to be correct, by golly!
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    I agree that that is completely frustrating! I usually will google something if I am not sure because there was no label. My biggest frustration is going to a restaurant that doesn't have nutrition info available for its customers. i don't care if you are not a franchise! I like knowing what you are putting in my food! woo... sorry didn't mean to go off there.

No need to apologize! I rarely get to eat out, but I am seriously considering calling restaurants first and asking if they have nutritional info (or ingredient lists.) If they tell me no, then I would say that I'll be going elsewhere. See if I can kick some eateries to get with the program!
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    Have to echo that I agree with the complaints. I usually check the info by a food to make sure that the food I'm adding has the correct info. My biggest frustration comes with the occasional food items that mostly have correct information, but have 0 mg for sodium listed, when it actually has 300-400 mg. I need that sodium info to be correct, by golly!

I'm not tracking sodium, although I probably should because I go over every day. My watch list is in the area of dietary fiber and cholesterol due to my last blood test. I'm not scary high requiring medication, but the doc told me I needed to reverse those numbers and get it under control now through diet.

However, calories are king in this journey. Doc said that my cholesterol would come down if I lost a bunch of weight, and I have. That said, I have still nearly quit eggs (gives sad panda eyes) and replaced my breakfast with oatmeal or multigrain cheerios. I am both nervous and impatient to see how much I can repair this by the time my annual appointment comes in August. I know I've lost 55 pounds since the last visit, but need the blood test to find out how I've done in the other areas.
  • RicLaPorte
    Options
    Agreed! And... if you're going to add a food, then add everything -- not just the calorie count. Some of us are counting sodium intake or other categories as well. I am so sick of searching for a food to find that it has absolutely no other nutritional info but a calorie count... Why bother adding Costco Potato Salad if all you are going to list is 210 calories... why not just find another food like Bing Cherries or something and add enough those cherries to equal the 210 calories you're so worried about!!!

Solution = I end up creating all my own food by listing my first name as the manufacturer -- I look up the nutritional info from the national database and then add most of my own items such as garlic, onion, squash, celery, etc. Then I know when I add something to my daily food list I know I have the right counts for everything.
  • Jodi_O
    Jodi_O Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm new...how am I suppose to know which information was added correctly to the food database? Am I suppose to confirm the information for every item?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Please see this sticky post that is under the feedback section. It explains why people are making duplicate entries.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/235362-do-you-intentionally-create-duplicate-foods-if-so-why
  • lovelilavender
    Options
    I agree, but at the same time I always re-check the nutritional information (before I make the recipe) anyways because I may have used different brands than they did.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Edited my comment because this is just an old thread been rehashed.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I had some cake the other day and the person put carbs at 0 LOL!