A Challenge - Make Me Like Eating Fish

Options

Replies

• heathally
    heathally Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How do I cook it so it doesn't have the texture of insulation?

I like to put it under the broiler on low. The edges get a little crisp, but when it's flaky in the middle, it's ready. And Tilapia is my favorite too because it doesn't have that "fishy" flavor. Believe it or not, my favorite thing to season my tilapia with is italian seasoning.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love fish, any fish almost. Im a Pisces..is that cannabalistic?? ;)
    I buy salmon at Sams club, a nice big slab of it, lay it on foil, sprinkle with italian salad dressing and dried dill
    wrap the foil up and bake it until I can smell it..lol..maybe 15 min at 350.
    I started really loving fish when I was served some that had been baked in a stewed tomato mixture, there is something
    about fish and tomatoes that is so good.
    Last night I went to Bonefish Grill for my b.day dinner..holy smoke, pull up their menu online..maybe something there will
    catch your attention and you can try it there then try to copy the recipe at home.
    Good luck!
  • camwee
    camwee Posts: 4
    Options
    Blackened fish tacos. I made them last night and they rocked!

Tillapia filets coated with blackening season
    1 can Rotel Tomatoes (cliantro and lime)
    1 avacado sliced
    sliced green onions
    shredded lettuce
    lime juice
    flour tortillias
    shredded cheese

I pan sauteed the fish until fully cooked..squeezed lime while still hot and place half of a filet in a flour tortillia..topped with sliced avacado, tomatoes, green onions, lettuce and cheese. I served them with Goya Spanish yellow rice.
  • corgant715
    corgant715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have always only eaten fried fish and have been wanting to try cooking fish in a healthier way, but have not yet attempted this. But I have been told numerous times to soak the fish in milk before prepping to cook to take away the "fishy" flavor.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just had fish last night. Here is how I prepared it:

Shake on some parsely and oregano then drizzel with extra virgin olive oil. Top with crushed garlic and crumbled feta. Bake for about 10 minutes at 400 (cook time depends on thickness of fish about 10 minutes for each inch) and Enjoy.
  • crazblueyes
    Options
    My favorite fish recipe is our family standby...derived from a SouthBeach Diet recipe.

Broiled Salmon with Rosemary
    Serves 2

1/2 lb salmon (you can ask the seafood dept to remove the skin, or leave it on until serving, in which case you can usually scoop the salmon off the skin in one piece with a spatula)
    1 t. olive oil
    1 t. fresh lemon juice
    1/8 t. salt
    pinch freshly ground black pepper
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 t. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped

Cut the salmon into 2 equal portions. Combine remaining ingredients in bowl, brush the mixture on the fish. Sometimes I let the fish sit and marinate for a bit at this point.
    To broil, spray the rack of a broiler pan with olive oil cooking spray, or cover baking sheet with foil and arrange the fish on it. Broil 4" from the heat for 4-6 minutes per 1/2" of thickness.

Enjoy!
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have made this many times..always a hit... the cod is not fishy tasting and has a good texture....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/cod-with-fennel-dill-and-tomato-recipe/index.html
  • GinaJ2006
    GinaJ2006 Posts: 67
    Options
    Ok I have one that you will hopefully like. My husband and I always only ate fish deep fried, which is obviously not ok for me now. This recipe was a big hit. I loved it and so did my husband. The recipe says whiting, but I've also make it with Swai, probably work with any fish.....

Whiting with Garlic and Lemon
    Recipe courtesy of Rao's Restaurant
    foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:
    8 Whole whiting
    1 1/2 cups olive oil
    3/4 cup lemon juice
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tablespoons parsley
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 cup flour

Directions:
    Clean and fillet fish. Remove heads and tails. (I had frozen that was all ready to go). In bowl, mix 3/4 cup oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Dredge fish in flour. In large saute pan, heat remaining oil. Saute fish until golden brown. Remove and pour lemon mixture over and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve.
  • GinaJ2006
    Options

My god that sounds freakin delicious
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I hate fish too, but Orange Roughy is wonderful! I think it's the type of fish that you choose that matters most. You can use this recipe for other 'non-fishy" fish like Tilapia, haddock, halibut, flounder, snapper, cod, chilean sea bass and mahi mahi.

Bake it in the oven with a light spritz of olive oil or butter spray, a quick squeeze of lemon, some salt and citrus pepper and bake covered at 350 degrees for 10 minutes in oven. Bake another 6-10 minutes uncovered until fish flakes. YUM! (Orange Roughy is kind of pricey though...)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a favorite fish, some are fishier than others and alot of times it will depend on how it's prepared. If you can't cook to begin with, you shouldn't start with fish, haha.

I've found that Ahi (Tuna) and Mahi Mahi are two of the least fishiest tasting fish. That being said, you should not compare fresh tuna with tuna packed in a can. They are completely different.

Check the higher end grocery stores for Sushi grade Ahi steaks...take them home....fire up the grill....clean and coat cooking area with olive oil to prevent sticking....slap on the fish over high heat....2 min turn, 2 min turn, flip and repeat. Fish should be warm but raw in the center.

Serve on a bed of greens with some mango salsa = you will love Ahi...(not necessarily fish).

Tilapia...I do not enjoy. Most of it is farm raised...to me tastes funny and there have been some studies done that I just don't like the sounds of.

Mackerel...I used to buy mackerel to use as bait. It's an oily fish and again, the taste isn't pleasant to me.

Another thing...Salmon. Great fish but look for wild caught salmon. Farm raised salmon is not as nutritious as wild. The color of farm raised salmon is naturally grey...which is then artificially colored.

Here's just a quick article...it's worth researching what you're eating. Most people wouldn't give 2 cents as to if their salmon was farm or wild....salmon is salmon right?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-me-salmon9dec09,0,2475812.story
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    why eat something you hate?I love fish but hate Tofu and anything soya yuck,so I dont go lookin to like them.I figure if you hate something so much nothing will make you like it,so eat healthily on what you like!!Dont be hard on yourself:laugh:
  • JNALTBK
    JNALTBK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    In our non-fish-liking household, we have gotten to really enjoy cod fillets, dipped in beaten egg white and paprika, and then "fried" in a very small amount of olive oil. Spritz with fresh lemon while it's cooking and don't overcook. When the fish turns opaque and is easy to flake, it's done. Overcooking spoils the taste of any fish, especially the lighter ones like cod. We now look forward to our once-a-week fish meal.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    just as an aside, before choosing you fish, please choose a fish that is sustainable, will not devastate the fish stocks, and will allow the fishing industry to continue for many years. Cod and Tuna are both ones you should be careful of. The Marine Conservation Society has produced a guide of fish to eat and fish to avoid here http://www.fishonline.org/

thankyou for listening.
  • GinaJ2006
    Options
    why eat something you hate?I love fish but hate Tofu and anything soya yuck,so I dont go lookin to like them.I figure if you hate something so much nothing will make you like it,so eat healthily on what you like!!Dont be hard on yourself:laugh:

Well they say you should have one serving of fish a week (not that I do) because of the healthy fatty acids
  • AndiPandi687
    Options
    fish cooked with mango chutney! the best!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    If you worry about that take a fish oil supplement. I tend to agree that we shouldnt eat what we don't like, but I think its fun to challenge ourselves. She wanted to try liking fish, so I gave a suggestion.:smile:
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    One of my favorites, using halibut (yum!) courtesy of Allrecipes.com

Heavenly Halibut

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    * 1/4 cup butter, softened
    * 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    * 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    * 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1 dash hot pepper sauce
    * 2 pounds skinless halibut fillets

Directions

1. Preheat the oven broiler. Grease a baking dish.
    2. In a bowl, mix the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise, lemon juice, green onions, salt, and hot pepper sauce.
    3. Arrange the halibut fillets in the prepared baking dish.
    4. Broil halibut fillets 8 minutes in the prepared oven, or until easily flaked with a fork. Spread with the Parmesan cheese mixture, and continue broiling 2 minutes, or until topping is bubbly and lightly browned.

prepare to swoon!!!