Need advice from guys..

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Okay, so there are a few REALLY cute guys Ithat I see all the time at my gym that I might, maybe, at some point, hopefully :laugh: , get up the nerve to talk to.

My (probably silly) questions are, are guys open to girls coming up to them at the gym and chatting them up? And if so, what do I say, aside fom "Um hi, you're hot and I would like to make out with you." :laugh: I'd have no idea what to say. Help! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think any guy you did that too wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off his face for at least the next week and a half :smile:
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ask them how to use a machine, or work a certain muscle group, or if you are already hard kore, ask them to spot you!

Ooops, I'm not a guy.. sorry :)
  • improvstitute
    Options
    I think just going up and talking to them wold be great. I know I like it when girls I don't know come up and talk to me. Don't worry about being clever or witty...just be natural. You will know pretty quickly if they are into you!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Well if he's the guy that stares at himself more than anything else there . . . he probably will be to in love with himself to notice you. If he's meat head in the corner talking how big his muscles are and watch me flex over here . . . you'd probably be too bored with any type of conversation on the first date to even bother. But if he's just a cute guy there working out there I'd agree with Taso42 and say he'd be open and smiling for a week after.

Go talk to him. Guys don't mind when a girl starts a conversation. But I wouldn't go with the I'm a helpless girl how do I do a push up line unless you are or enjoy pretending to be helpless forever. Just sit down next to him and say Hi. Introduce yourself, ask him what he does for a living, fun, etc. If he's interested he'll keep talking to you and maybe look for you the next time he's there, or get your number before he leaves. If he's not, he won't. Of course if he's like me, he'd be just as scared as you are so it might take a few talk sessions at the gym for him to ask you out :-)
  • wilsabeast
    wilsabeast Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the toughest thing about being a teenage boy.

Ask him about your technique on an exercise. This will accomplish two things, break the ice and get him to check you out.

Both win!!!
  • tvman802
    Options
    Ok, so I am an older guy at 48, but still a guy. I believe that if you came up and said "hey, I've been watching you work out and you look great" that it would let him know your intentions. If you added a "would you like to go out for a "your fav drink here" after your workout?" That will tell him you are more than a little interested. He would either respond yes or no if he is confident in himself, or blubber something unintelligible if he is nervous. Take that as a non-answer and tell him where you are working out and when you plan to be finished. Then go back to your workout.
    It will either happen or not, and you will know whether he is into you or not.
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do; approach with confidence and a smile! Or, make eye contact when possible...smile, then look away...and wait for him to approach you... It's a strategy that saves you the first "official" move. It's subtle, but it works. :wink:
  • toots99
    Options
    Well if he's the guy that stares at himself more than anything else there . . . he probably will be to in love with himself to notice you. If he's meat head in the corner talking how big his muscles are and watch me flex over here . . . you'd probably be too bored with any type of conversation on the first date to even bother. But if he's just a cute guy there working out there I'd agree with Taso42 and say he'd be open and smiling for a week after.

That wouldn't be a problem as that would not at ALL be the type of guy I'd be into. :tongue:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just wish i wasn't such a chicken. I'd feel like such a fool if he completely rejected me and I'd still have to see him at the gym everyday. :laugh:
  • toots99
    Options
    I think any guy you did that too wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off his face for at least the next week and a half :smile:

:blushing: :flowerforyou:
    Ok, so I am an older guy at 48, but still a guy. I believe that if you came up and said "hey, I've been watching you work out and you look great" that it would let him know your intentions. If you added a "would you like to go out for a "your fav drink here" after your workout?" That will tell him you are more than a little interested. He would either respond yes or no if he is confident in himself, or blubber something unintelligible if he is nervous. Take that as a non-answer and tell him where you are working out and when you plan to be finished. Then go back to your workout.
    It will either happen or not, and you will know whether he is into you or not.

Very good advice, thanks.
  • toots99
    Options
    Any other advice? :smile:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

Go for it...a guy doesn`t mind being approached by a pretty lady. :smile:
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

My advice... post what he says/what you did! I want to hear how this went down!

You could always go over to him and say... excuse me... but you're doing it wrong... and show him a thing or two :laugh:
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me, BUT...

If I am at the gym, I HATE talking to people. I want to get in and get out as efficiently as possible. If you are going to kick it to a guy, just kick it to him, show interest and then back off. Tell him you will chat him up later. In my mind, there is nothing more obvious and kindof annoying than a girl who isnt interested in working out, or who is more interested in trying to be pretty while she is working out.

Also, don't ish where you eat!! You don't want to get with this dude, potentially have something not work out, and then have a gym deterrent. Just workout and get your sweat on. Be a nice person and smile. Look confident and happy to be getting healthy and the guys will come to you.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I say start with small talk and find out more about him. Maybe ask if he does any workout at home or something related to working out. You might get some clues as to whether he's even interested. I'm no hunk, but I get women that talk to me at my gym and I usually just say something about my wife or something and keep it friendly. If he's interested he'll keep talking to you and you'll know he's interested. My advice, take it slow. Being rejected right off the bat when asking someone out isn't the worst thing, until you have to potentially see them every time you go to the gym. Good luck
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options

"What if's" suck..... go for it!!
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me,

**trying my hardest not to** You're quite negative today Brian..... Shouldn't you be working?!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    you got to take a chance Toots !!!!!

come on if you like them, just ask them out for a coffee or a beer !!!!!! it nice when a woman does the chancing too !!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me, BUT...

If I am at the gym, I HATE talking to people. I want to get in and get out as efficiently as possible. If you are going to kick it to a guy, just kick it to him, show interest and then back off. Tell him you will chat him up later. In my mind, there is nothing more obvious and kindof annoying than a girl who isnt interested in working out, or who is more interested in trying to be pretty while she is working out.

Also, don't ish where you eat!! You don't want to get with this dude, potentially have something not work out, and then have a gym deterrent. Just workout and get your sweat on. Be a nice person and smile. Look confident and happy to be getting healthy and the guys will come to you.

Depends on the guy but I pretty much agree with this.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me,

**trying my hardest not to** You're quite negative today Brian..... Shouldn't you be working?!

Ya I noticed that too. Knocking down everyones block tower today!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Gyms are tough. I almost avoid talking to females in fear they think I am hitting on them. I detested Lifetime and Ballys because they seemed like meat markets more than gyms. Everyone is different though.