oatmeal...other ways to eat it without butter and sugar

Options

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I did it with a tbsp of peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate whey the other day. It was sort of ok, sort of weird. I still haven't decided if i really liked it. Usually i have it with a tbsp of peanut butter + a tsp of sugar, and take the whey drink on the side, but the (artificial) sweetener in the whey powder mixed in with the oats made it sweet enough.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I pop in some frozen fruit after the oatmeal is done cooking. So far I've tried blueberries, sweet cherries, and marionberries. So good! The marionberries taste like I'm eating a cobbler. It's also yummy with some apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg mixed in. I don't even use anything but oats, water, and fruit. I haven't gotten board with things, yet!
  • Juleswithaplan
    Juleswithaplan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like adding sugar-free fruit spread or preserves...
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I do quaker plain in the package with 1 packet of artificial sweetner.. but i eat fruit and sometimes yogurt with it too.
  • sambfox
    sambfox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal with a spoon full of applesauce and some cinnamon. A table spoon of jam or almond butter is good too.
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Little bit of peanut butter, honey and banana. I also like to add canned pumpkin, cinnamon and brown sugar. Or, unsweetened apple sauce. I have also switched to steel cut oats, which are so much tastier than rolled oats!
  • Metalhead187
    Options
    I like mine with sliced bananas, blueberries, and a little bit of cinnamon. YUM!
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. I use steel-cut oats, cook with water, egg whites, cinnamon and splenda, chop some apple up and toss it in, and when it's done, sprinkle with a little ground flax seed and chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans. Very well-rounded, filling meal. I've never had it with butter???
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try adding different types of fruit... bananas are my favorite and I also like blueberries.
  • mlloos
    mlloos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like to put a tablespoon of craisins and 2 teaspoons of flax seeds in my quaker minute oats with 1/2 water and 1/2 milk substitute. It's yummy and has lots of textures.
  • erinbeckerin
    erinbeckerin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I need a change I drizzle a little molasses on my oatmeal. Sometimes I pour (soy)milk on top.
  • exejet
    exejet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Joseph sugar free syrup is very good. so close to the real deal! Add that to oatmeal and it is wonderful! You can get it online from their website.
  • cmgardella
    cmgardella Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just eat one packet of Quaker Apple and Cinnamon. It's delicious, filling, and only 130 cals when cooked with water. Mmmmm.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I put peanut butter in it. NOM!
  • Ceria
    Ceria Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Stevia and I cant believe its not butter spray with apple pie spice...all of the flavor none of the added calories.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I did it with a tbsp of peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate whey the other day. It was sort of ok, sort of weird. I still haven't decided if i really liked it. Usually i have it with a tbsp of peanut butter + a tsp of sugar, and take the whey drink on the side, but the (artificial) sweetener in the whey powder mixed in with the oats made it sweet enough.

I found if you cook it with the whey in it, it becomes chalky. I usually mix my whey with 4 oz of milk, then add it to the cooked oatmeal with peanut butter.

My favorite way to eat it though is
    1/4 cup oats
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 tsp cinamon
    sweetener to taste
    1/2 cup fruit, (I usually rotate between frozen cherries, peaches, or strawberries)
    1 to 2 tbsp of walnuts, or almonds (chopped, or sliced)
    cook
    add 2 tbsp of fat free whipped cream.
  • sexyjeans
    sexyjeans Posts: 49
    Options
    I buy the low sugar maple & brown sugar flavor. Yum. But...because I have a sweet tooth I always add extra splenda. And...If I'm wanting extra substance...I'll add a sliced banana.
  • c1romero
    c1romero Posts: 2
    Options
    I make steel cut oats in a crockpot set on low overnight. 1/2 cup SCO + 2 cups water.

Tonight I prepped the oatmeal, added 3 T organic unsweetened apple sauce (reducing the water by 3T), 1/2 apple cut into small chunks, lemon zest and poppy seed. Some stevia for sweetening.

I've also used pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, stevia and a sprinkling of pecans.

Blueberries, two egg whites, 1/4 t baking powder, stevia, cinnamon.

1/2 Apple in chunks, cinnamon, walnuts and then a sliced banana added in the morning to the cooked oatmeal.

Check out "75 Ways to Love Your Oatmeal" by Jenny Grothe
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats, honey, dried cranberries, splenda and cardamom
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    What kind of oatmeal does everyone eat?
    1/4 c. quick cooking rolled oats mixed with 1/4 c. oat bran. so mushy and good!