oatmeal...other ways to eat it without butter and sugar

Options

Replies

• time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try Better Oats brand. They make one that is 100 cals. I get Peaches & Cream and Blueberry Muffin. Those are 160 cals. I don't need to add anything to it. When I did plain oatmeal (or even the Quaker flavored pouches), I always added milk, butter and sugar. So that's saying something :) They're also full of Omega 3s and other good things.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I add some natural peanut butter and eat it with apple slices. YUM!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the ideas. I use to eat the sugar bomb kind from Quaker. Great ideas!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Dumb question here... For those of you who put peanut butter in your oatmeal, do you add before or after it's cooked? Thanks!
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just yogurt. so good!
  • wkschuster
    wkschuster Posts: 144
    Options
    Some slivered almonds, banana, and some dark chocolate chips. Not overboard on the chocolate though that will make it very overwhelming
  • paigelyn88
    paigelyn88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try mixing in a packet of sugar free hot chocolate! Yum!!!
  • fortnerlynn
    fortnerlynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Craisins and sliced almonds and cinnamon
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I use a packet of original instant oatmeal and add 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, half a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, and a tablespoon of milled flax seed. Sometimes I add some cinnamon too.
    This combo also tastes great with cream of wheat.
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    I used to eat the instant oatmeals a lot (the variety packs) but stopped because I had to make it too runny to keep from getting heartburn afterwards. Has anyone else had this problem? Would adding things with natural oils (like peanut butter) help?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    This morning I put 1 cup of regular oatmeal and 1 cup of milk in the microwave for 1 minute. I then added 1 cup of the cereal I usually have for breakfast.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am always trying new ways to keep oatmeal not boring. Here are some of mine:

I use quaker 1-minute quick oats.

try them raw all mixed up with a half cup of flavored yogurt or smashed all up with raw banana or strawberries or applesauce.

sprinkle raw oats on top of peanut butter banana toast with a little bit of honey - just enough to help keep the oats from all falling off.

sprinkle raw oats on another kind of cereal you like.

cooked with milk, strawberry syrup or honey or molasses or agave nectar or apple slices, cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins (all the usual stuff).

cooked with maple flavoring, sugar and milk. or with a little pancake syrup and milk

I keep oatmeal at work. I'll cook it in the microwave and add a little vanilla coffee creamer or pumpkin spice coffee creamer because I don't have milk there. It tastes good.
  • Jellyspider
    Options
    I add just a tiny bit of honey (i know it's sugar but a small amount goes a long way) and a decent amount of cinnamon.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I do steelcut oats and mix lofat vamilla yogurt or whatever flavor I am in the mood for. Since I don;t cook it before, it swells in my tummy and keeps me full longer.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    This sounds a little odd, but I love uncooked oats mixed with PB. It's a great quick snack with good carbs, fat and protein. Someone posted a recipe for no-bake PB balls that was oats, PB, honey and some chocolate chips (you roll the mix into balls and put them in the fridge)... sometimes if I need a treat, I'll toss some honey and/or chocolate chips into the mix.
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Half packet of Purvia and cinnamon. Yum!
  • debbiemacfarlane
    debbiemacfarlane Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i like fresh pineapple. It adds the sweeteness I miss and actually taste pretty good. I also do the bananas cinnamon thing too. Yummy, I actually a big fan of oatmeal
  • LeLe2929
    LeLe2929 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've been on a cranberry & flax kick lately, but also like blueberry & almond. I think fruit and nuts are great additions, get a little bit of sweetness and little bit of protein!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Porridge with butter??? :sick:

that's just grim.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Porridge with butter??? :sick:

that's just grim.

snap!

I was like, butter? really now? odd...

Anyway, I love mine with raisins. I cook it with the raisins in and they go all plump and juicy.