backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    So who's giving anything up for lent?

Somehow I thought giving up coffee would be a good plan... :huh:

*twiches*
  • elfward
    elfward Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything completely for Lent - but I am cutting back my alcohol consumption to one day a week. Thought I might as well give it a try!

More importantly, I'm going to make sure I do some sort of exercise everyday - be it weight training, running, or just making sure I walk at least 1 mile a day.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning from bright and sunny NI!

I was laughing to myself a little yesterday... NI was on the news for the right reason yesterday! A visit from Wills and Kate! Lo and behold, it was raining during their visit! It hasn't rained in AGES, and it rains when we're on the news!

I've been feeling very motivated recently, to the point that I was considering doing some more exercise at around 10 o'clock last night... there's definitely something wrong with me! I would never have considered missing Shameless in favour of exercise before!

Bright and sunny...and bloody freezing!! I cant believe how cold it is today (it's good I can complain about the cold on Team UK, safe in the knowledge that no-one from the US is going to point out that they're under 6ft of snow...)

Where are you in NI Lesley?

I'm in Armagh :smile: I live and work there, but I spend most of my time in Lurgan...
  • smileylittleorange
    smileylittleorange Posts: 45 Member
    Options

*twiches*

Oh no cold turkey!!
  • smileylittleorange
    smileylittleorange Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything completely for Lent - but I am cutting back my alcohol consumption to one day a week. Thought I might as well give it a try!

More importantly, I'm going to make sure I do some sort of exercise everyday - be it weight training, running, or just making sure I walk at least 1 mile a day.

It's really hard isn't it -i do have to do a bit of walking to work everyday but i would so like to do extra!! I save all my drinking for special occasions (read GIRLIE NIGHTS) now - those times when you need a bit of a loosener lol! It was hard giving up glasses of wine during the week but then i thought what's the point it only makes me fall asleep on the sofa anyways!! Also I am now a super cheap date for my husband as the alcohol tolerance is much lower !!
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Well I decided to give up chocolate for lent, which can only be a very good thing!

This has been a random weather day! snow this morning, sunny afternoon, but windy, now its pouring with rain!! How do you plan what to wear??? I will get soaked on the way home from work if it doesn't stop soon! : (

How has March been so far! I've been feeling good about my new calorie goal. I reset to lose 1lb per week. I no longer feel starving on days like today when I cant excercise (I do walk around town most days though even on non-excercise days) so i'm liking it a lot better.

Hope all is well with all of you!! I was laughing at the posts about the free pancakes at the gym!!! how funny is that!! I often think its strange that leisure centres seem to have so much junk food vending machines as well!!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i've given up alcohol for lent i had cut my intake quite a fair bit anyway but less is more as they say, i did try and give up crisps but i fell off the wagon big style this morning and had a bag (thats after a batch of pancakes, in addition to last nights) for some reason i am really struggling at the moment, i just want to eat junk and veg out on the sofa and so far i can't get out of the rut, but i'm still here sticking at it and now my computer is up and running again i can come on here and start logging propperly, if anybody wants to give me a kick up the backside feel free but let me know so i can bend over and make it easier for you lol
  • backinthenines
    Options
    *puts on big boots*

:tongue:
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Whiskey, whereabout in Cheshire are you? My man lives in Nantwich at the moment and works for Bentley in Crewe. :smile:
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello all...

I joined MFP yesterday! A friend from work recommended it, so i thought I'd take a look, and suddenly feel motivated to lose the stone I've put on in the last year. I've been yo-yo-ing since Christmas and can't seem to stick to anything! I did Slimming World and managed to lose 2 stone a couple of years ago, but am really intrigued by this plan.

I seem to be ok during the week, but come Friday night and a nice glass (bottle) of red wine, crisps and chocolate and I lose all self control til Monday!!! Argghhhhh!!!

Living in the south but originally from Wales Looking forward to whiling some time away here with you all in the future!

:happy:
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

*twiches*

Oh no cold turkey!!

I gave up caffeine about 9 months ago - I only have 1 cup of tea in the morning (and that's out of habit!) and thats it. And I can honestly say I feel a million miles better for it. the first week is the hardest, but after that you'll be fine!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I've been feeling very motivated recently, to the point that I was considering doing some more exercise at around 10 o'clock last night... there's definitely something wrong with me!

Oooh I'm like that as well. I was bored on Sunday afternoon, kids were playing outside, husband was watching them and rather than plonk myself down with a bag of crisps and back-to-back Come dine with me, I actually WANTED to go for a big brisk walk (and I did).
  • Mairgheal
    Options
    I've not given upanything for Lent, was contemplating giving up Facebook, but with an iPhone that might be hard...
    I loooove my coffees, couldn't imagine giving them up. In fairness, I don't take sugar or milk, so calorie-wise there's no need to give them up anyway.

Welcome Ozycat! I know what you mean, Mon-Fri are grand, especially when you're in work, but the weekends... if you need any MFP-friends, feel free to add me :smile:
  • lrns88
    Options
    I've not given upanything for Lent, was contemplating giving up Facebook, but with an iPhone that might be hard...
    I loooove my coffees, couldn't imagine giving them up. In fairness, I don't take sugar or milk, so calorie-wise there's no need to give them up anyway.

Welcome Ozycat! I know what you mean, Mon-Fri are grand, especially when you're in work, but the weekends... if you need any MFP-friends, feel free to add me :smile:

Over a month without facebook?! crazy thoughts!!
  • Mairgheal
    Options
    Yah I know, so didn't do it in the end :laugh:
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Morning all :smile:

I had a really good day yesterday, although came in lower than I wanted to on my cals... was feeling really stuffed after dinner though, and the thought of forcing myself to eat something else made me feel ill!

Today, I'm going to boost my cals a little (I treated myself to a Caramac br this morning, which I'm going to enjoy) and I'm not going to push myself so hard with the exercise!

I haven't given up anything for lent... I'm already limiting myself with food and only have the occasional treat (and my weekly chinese), and I haven't had a drink since my birthday last year (I turn 30 on 20th March)! The only other thing I could give up is the smoking, and I think that would crack me up altogether!

I'm still so happy about my measurements... for those of you who don't know, in the last year I've dropped 7 inches off my waist and 7.5 inches off my hips :happy: I'm going to celebrate by having a hot cross bun!
  • Mairgheal
    Options
    You're doing so well Lesley! How many dress sizes did you lose?

I'm kicking myself I never took measurements. My weight hasn't moved for a while, although I'm not sure, since my new scales last week I was up 3 lbs and now down again 2 lbs. So still 1 lb above my "old-scales"-weight. If I had taken measurements I would have had more of an idea.
    Bought a pair of size 12 work trousers though. They're still too tight for comfort, but it's only a matter of a few lbs now. :glasses:
  • lrns88
    Options
    I'm still so happy about my measurements... for those of you who don't know, in the last year I've dropped 7 inches off my waist and 7.5 inches off my hips :happy: I'm going to celebrate by having a hot cross bun!

Inspirational Lesley :smile: definitely deserve a hot cross bun!!
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Morning all - Severely fell off the wagon this week. Got news from the doctors on Monday that I suffer from pre-clinical hypothyroid. I have been ill for weeks (stomach uclers I found out 2 weeks ago) and had suffered from memory loss, doctor thought it was just the stress of my stomach uclers and being generally under the weather. They wanted to run tests just to make sure, and came back with this..............scary enough to deal with memory loss at 21 but to have all this thrown at me!! :sad: I think what made it worse is the condition can cause weight gain, now Im on tablets that will hopefully correct the condition but not sure what effect it will have on my weight loss - at least it explains why I only seem to get 0.2 or 0.8lbs lost every week instead of the 2lbs I was used to seeing!

Anyway didnt bother watching what I was eating, havent done any form of exercise all week and just been generally miserable BUT today is a new day. I realised last night that I have a fab holiday to look great for, and who cares if I dont have the body to wear a bikini this year as planned, Im used to swimming customes and baggy tops! As long as it eventually comes off and more importantly doesnt come back on!
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    Morning all - Severely fell off the wagon this week. Got news from the doctors on Monday that I suffer from pre-clinical hypothyroid. I have been ill for weeks (stomach uclers I found out 2 weeks ago) and had suffered from memory loss, doctor thought it was just the stress of my stomach uclers and being generally under the weather. They wanted to run tests just to make sure, and came back with this..............scary enough to deal with memory loss at 21 but to have all this thrown at me!! :sad: I think what made it worse is the condition can cause weight gain, now Im on tablets that will hopefully correct the condition but not sure what effect it will have on my weight loss - at least it explains why I only seem to get 0.2 or 0.8lbs lost every week instead of the 2lbs I was used to seeing!

Anyway didnt bother watching what I was eating, havent done any form of exercise all week and just been generally miserable BUT today is a new day. I realised last night that I have a fab holiday to look great for, and who cares if I dont have the body to wear a bikini this year as planned, Im used to swimming customes and baggy tops! As long as it eventually comes off and more importantly doesnt come back on!

Im so proud of you...thats ma girl!