NO FAST FOOD CHALLENGE - MARCH

Options

Replies

• Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I went shopping last night and I have to drive by a McDonald's to get to Target. It was hard, but I said no to their 2 cheeseburger meal. Like JennyBoBenny, my weakness is burgers and fries. I have said it on another post, but make a fist when you crave, it helps...a lot. I read it in a magazine one day, tried it, and have been doing ever since. I also vocalize my no's when I think I don't need something. People look at me weird when I'm standing next to doughnuts saying "No, I don't need them" but oh well. :wink:
  • kountrygrl27
    kountrygrl27 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in !!!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I did it last month...went to McDs Last night and it really wasn't all that satisfying. I'm back on the No Fast Food Wagon.!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    I went shopping last night and I have to drive by a McDonald's to get to Target. It was hard, but I said no to their 2 cheeseburger meal. Like JennyBoBenny, my weakness is burgers and fries. I have said it on another post, but make a fist when you crave, it helps...a lot. I read it in a magazine one day, tried it, and have been doing ever since. I also vocalize my no's when I think I don't need something. People look at me weird when I'm standing next to doughnuts saying "No, I don't need them" but oh well. :wink:

Good for you Sarah!! I do a lot of self talk also. As each days goes on it is getting easier and easier for me. You can do it! Keep up the good work!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I did it last month...went to McDs Last night and it really wasn't all that satisfying. I'm back on the No Fast Food Wagon.!

Welcome back Grouch!:wink: I hope this happens for me. MickyD's is not my problem! You still are doing great just being mindful of it. I know this challenge is helping me stick with it!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Another day down!! 9 days no fast foods!! Whoohoo!!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I didn't know for sure or not, but does Subway count as fast food? I didn't want to break my good behavior on not having fast food so I had Subway instead when I was craving. I did only get a salad though with the sweet onion sauce and baked lays. It was still about only 300 calories for it all, but did I break my good cycle by getting it?
  • stinanina89
    stinanina89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hey guys i just found this thread! im trying to kick my fast food habit. particularly mcdonalds is like an addiction to me lately and it has to stop. im a college student and also work part time so fast food is usually the fastest thing to grab. but i want to make the commitment to stop but need some support. is it too late to join?
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    Sarah - I think this thread is for you to decide how to use it. Mollie suggested that for her all fast food joints that had a drive through were the culprits (ie McD's, BK, KFC etc). A lot of people make good choices at subway but some choices at subway are awful as well. You can also walk into a McD's and get a salad and call that a successful choice for yourself.

For me, I'm going to try to avoid my usual fast food favorites. Burgers and fries are my weakness. But like I mentioned earlier, even when I thought I was being good by getting some "little" soft tacos, I ended up consuming a days worth of calories in one meal. So I'm going to try to avoid fast food places altogether - burger and fries or not.

You make the choice because only YOU know if you've made a good decision for yourself or if you've sabotaged yourself.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I didn't know for sure or not, but does Subway count as fast food? I didn't want to break my good behavior on not having fast food so I had Subway instead when I was craving. I did only get a salad though with the sweet onion sauce and baked lays. It was still about only 300 calories for it all, but did I break my good cycle by getting it?

Subway is fine Sarah. Jenny is right, it is how what you want to make it beyond your typical fast foods. Even though Subway is high in sodium, it is not fast food to me and never will be since it is still much healthier for us than any hamburger, french fries, shakes, etc. & they do not have drive thrus. But if peeps want to include Subway they can. I left it up to everyone to decide for themselves beyond you typical fast foods.

Like for me I am including chinese foods and no vending machines junk. Like at work I had started getting crap out of the vending machines. So these 2 I added to my fast foods list.

Good job on getting Subway!:drinker:
  • darlingdarko
    Options
    I am going to be getting a late start on this but I am up for it! I will start today! :smile:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    hey guys i just found this thread! im trying to kick my fast food habit. particularly mcdonalds is like an addiction to me lately and it has to stop. im a college student and also work part time so fast food is usually the fastest thing to grab. but i want to make the commitment to stop but need some support. is it too late to join?

It is not too late to join. Start as of today. McDonald's has salads. I still buy their salads and I am not counting it as breaking the challenge. I get one or two salads there every other day and mix with spinach and other goodies from home. I was tempted the other day to order the ice cream cone and decide nope, I will not do it. The main thing I have problems with getting there are the fries. I would order my salads and then order french fries and another dollar item off the menu, so I am doing good because I am sticking to salads only from McD's. If you can't go there without ordering other stuff I would stay away.

You can do it!!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I could totally do this no problem as long as I can still have Wendy's Chili. It's low cal, low fat and really handy in a pinch.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I could totally do this no problem as long as I can still have Wendy's Chili. It's low cal, low fat and really handy in a pinch.

This is up to you. I do not count healthy choices from a fast food restruant as breaking the challenge.:wink: Especially since I eat salads from McD's and Wendys.
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    Everyone around me at work today had fast food for lunch. Two people were doing a burger run (Fat Boy Friday they call it). I turned them down. Even my boss got a big order of fries and chili. OMG I love that stuff! When it arrived, he was in a meeting so the delivery person (my coworker) left it on my desk for him to get when he was finished. Are you serious? I had to look at and smell that stuff for 10 minutes!

But I didn't have a single french fry. I ate my turkey sandwich and went on with my day. I proudly told people that I wasn't having any because I lost 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks and I don't want to sabatoge that. Everyone was proud of me. :smile:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Everyone around me at work today had fast food for lunch. Two people were doing a burger run (Fat Boy Friday they call it). I turned them down. Even my boss got a big order of fries and chili. OMG I love that stuff! When it arrived, he was in a meeting so the delivery person (my coworker) left it on my desk for him to get when he was finished. Are you serious? I had to look at and smell that stuff for 10 minutes!

But I didn't have a single french fry. I ate my turkey sandwich and went on with my day. I proudly told people that I wasn't having any because I lost 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks and I don't want to sabatoge that. Everyone was proud of me. :smile:

Isn't that a great feeling Jenny!! I am proud of you too!! Whooohooo!!! Keep up the good work!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    11 days no fast foods!!:flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    It is the weekend guys!! Plan for it.

If you are out and going to be busy, pack some fruit and portable veggies so you will not stop for fast foods when out and about running errands. You can do it! Be strong! You know all the healthier lighter options out there. No fast foods!:drinker:

Check in is on Monday and we want to keep it going! Keep up the good work! I am going for day 12.

Have a wonderful healthy weekend!!:flowerforyou:
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    Way to go Mollie!

I myself will be staying indoors today (possibly tomorrow) as I've thrown my back out and want to rest it up. This is good since I won't be tempted to eat out and I also have no junk in my house!

Self Care plan for the day - meditation, yoga, rest, reading and journalling. Already had a luxurious aromatherapy bath and am about to give myself a home-mani and pedi. It's all about me today! :love:

Happy weekend all!
  • tiffvea
    tiffvea Posts: 51
    Options
    If you want something to help you with the fast food challenge, I can suggest a book. I have been free of fast food since Jan. 1st as my resolution. It's definitely not easy, but the book has gotten me through it ! It's called Fast Food Nation. It divulges all the dirty little secrets of the fast food industry. I encourage your mission to be fast food free and support you 110% of the way ! It's definitely one of the biggest reasons I am where I am today as far as weight and unhappiness, not to say that there aren't many other contributors. Case and point, get the book, will help a lot ! All the best !

I lost my first 20lbs by staying away from drive-thrus!:smile: