canned tuna uses?

Options
bekdavis
bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
how do you eat your canned tuna? looking for some creative ideas. Thanks!!

Replies

• Knaroz
    Knaroz Posts: 23
    Options
    normally just a bit of mayo, mustard. Or if I get th new gold cans that are packed in EVOO I will eat those plain. Back in the day my wife use to take it and add 2 cans to a box of mac and cheese and it was pretty good.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I don't eat it. It smells disgusting. BLECH!!!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    my normal tuna salad is - tuna fat free mayo, spicy brown mustard, chopped up combitation of the following green peppers, cucumber, celery, red peppers, onion.
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    mixed with mayo, spread on toasted wheat bread with a little lettuce. Simple and yummy
  • CharlestonUSC
    Options
    I used to eat it raw until it freaked out my wife. Now when I do eat it I will mix in some spicy mustard or regular mustard. Relish is really good with it also. Now that I think about it it might be nice to mix in some chopped up bell peppers. It is always great on tiny flatbread sandwiches or TOAST! If you're avoiding high intake of carbs you can still have some toast b/c it won't kill your carb count. Good luck and share whatever you can come up with.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    mixed with mayo, celery, apple pieces, red onion and walnuts! delicious
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I usually put - 1/2 drained can - ontop of my field greens - with a hard boiled egg.

I don't use dressin's or mayo - I'm pretty plan and simple.

Or 1/2 can mixed in whole wheat pasta - once again pretty plain.

1/2 can of tuna onto of whole wheat toasted bread - with some celery cut up in it. No mayo.

Tuna in a pita wrap, with lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes

Hope that helps somewhat...remember you can add mayo / mustard to any of which I listed. I just don't do Mayo etc.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Little mericle whip light, seasoning (I use creole or mrs dash), little cheese and sweet relish,maybe some egg. And then I eat it on Natures Own sandwich rounds. It is good.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Just had half a can with my lunch - salad of spinach and watercress leaves, a handful of cooked string beans, 3 cherry tomatoes. Just a squeeze of lemon juice for dressing.

But I have half a can leftover so I'll be interested to read others' suggestions!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love it with vinegar , cucumber and celery ,eating it as I post lol .
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    i put it in pastas and rice dishes.
  • wellsar
    wellsar Posts: 24
    Options
    I mix a can of tuna with a small can of sliced black olives and then mix it together with dijon mustard. The tuna is only 90 calories, the olives are 100 and the mustard is like 10!
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Instead of mayo I use plain yogurt (trust me you can't tell the difference), mustard, relish, and a dash of chili powder and pepper. Sometimes I just eat it like that or sometimes I put it on toast.
  • shmarlyboo
    Options
    drained and straight from the can. i don't add anything to it (i.e. mayo, mustard). sometimes i'll use a whole wheat ritz cracker to scoop it up :)
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    On Sunday I made tuna with a little mayo and put it on top of 1/2 a plain bagel topped with velveeta cheese. 360 Calories and it was really good......
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Here are 3 of my creations with photos I took;

Italian Pasta Salad (made with the Clover Sundried tomato tuna)

pasta-1.jpg

Italian Tuna Pasta Salad

1 can Clover Leaf Sundried Tomato & Basil Tuna
    75g dry Catelli Whole Wheat Pasta
    1 tbsp plain yogurt
    8 grape tomatoes, sliced
    ½ tsp basil
    Black pepper
    Directions: cook pasta as per instructions; rinse with cold water once cooked. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together the tuna, pasta and yogurt then gently add the tomatoes and toss. Garnish with basil and black pepper. Serves 1.

WW Points: 7

Chickpea Tuna salad served on cucumber slices (also makes a great sandwich)

Picture329.jpg

Chickpea Tuna Salad

1 cup chickpeas
    1 stalk celery, chopped fine
    1 green onion, chopped
    2 tbsp plain yogurt
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    ½ tsp dried dill weed
    1 can tuna canned in water
    Black pepper
    24 cucumber slices

Directions: drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour chickpeas into a medium size bowl and mash with potato masher. Mix in celery, onion, yogurt, lemon juice, dill and pepper to taste. Serve atop of cucumber slices. Serves 2.

WW Points: 4

And then Tuna Salad (made with balsamic) Appetizers

Picture157.jpg

Tuna Salad Appetizers

1 can Clover light tuna in water
    ¼ cup chopped celery
    ¼ cup chopped red or while onion
    ¼ cup broccoli florets
    2 tbsp Miracle Whip Non-Fat Dressing
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    16 spinach leaves
    Fresh ground pepper

Directions: Drain tuna. Mix all ingredients together and spoon onto freshly washed spinach leaves. Makes approximately 16.

WW Points: 0

* If you eat all 16 its 3 WW points or if you use the more commonly found Miracle Whip Light 30 cal per tbsp its 4 WW point for all 16.

~

Tuna canned in water is .59 a can almost weekly and is such a great protein source I love using it for lunches. I used to think tuna was gross as a kid like many people but as an adult, it’s so good!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't like tuna mixed with much so I just eat it with a tiny bit of light mayo on toast. I usually have it for a sandwich for lunch. YUM and great way to get protein!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a bit of tuna for my lunch at work. Usually mixed with a dash of low fat salad cream and a bit of sweetcorn and have that as a topping for my jacket potato.

Or, i chop up a bit of red onion, some cherry tomatoes, mix it up with a bit of low fat salad cream, get a wrap, lay on a handful of salad leaves (rockets my fave), spoon on the tuna mix (as much or as little as you like) and wrap it up..... yummy!!!!!
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    ohhh ohhh ohh I have one!
    I drained it and added minced Jalepenos, random seasonings from my cabinet, low fat mozzarella cheese, chopped onion, chopped garlic and boiled (for only 10-15mins) half of a red bell pepper....stuffed it with the tuna mixture and topped with paprika and a little more cheese and placed in the oven for 10 mins.....
    Scrumptious! low cal....and quick!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Oh...I am SO glad you posted this. I have found that Tuna is really a wonderfish.. Not only is Tuna so cheap (i paid 2.00 for 4 cans at Wal-Mart); you can do sooo much with it..I have recently discovered that it really does taste good plain with a little dijonaise (5 cal/tsp!)

I tried this recipe a few weeks ago..it sounds gross, but it tastes GREAT

Tuna Patties with Cottage Cheese

1 Large Egg
    1/2 cup Fat-Free Cottage Cheese
    2 (5 oz) cans of Tuna Drained
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Mix all this up..form patties and cook em...

Sooo simple..it makes 2.5 servings (5 patties) and has a TOTAL of

Nutrition Info:

TOTAL: 360 calories/8 carbs/9g fat/60g protien

Per Serving (2 patties): 144 calories/3 carbs/4g fat/24g protien

Of course, that doesnt count the bread and stuff..but these taste so good to me, I eat them plain..no bread, no nothing. Just serve with Rice or something...

Hope you like!