Didn't know I was getting fat till I got fat!!

Options
13»

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I squeezed on my largest (size 16) jeans, and then I couldn't sit down! No more denying! Extra weight is gone now!
  • catawbalovely
    catawbalovely Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    oh no I definitely realized I was putting weight on. The first 15 lbs came on slowly and the last 15 really fast.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I knew I was getting fat but it was always one excuse after another. I don't have time to go to the gym. I like food, always will, and I don't want to give it up. And the biggie: I would enter a room, find the biggest person there and tell myself that I was smaller than she was so I didn't have to worry.

When I saw pictures of myself at my daughter's high school graduation it was the moment that I knew I had to do something about it and that I could no longer hide behind my excuses. The next day I started watching what I ate and cut back on portions. Later that summer I joined MFP. A year later I joined a gym. The rest is history.
  • ashleyjohnstonn1
    ashleyjohnstonn1 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I weighed more than my boyfriend... although he is a skinny mini with a metabolism to die for (lucky him!) he is 4-5 inches taller than me. Being with my boyfriend all the time I ate super unhealthily and convinced myself I could eat like he could... which I can't! Also my clothes stopped fitting. I had attempted to lose weight a couple times before but nothing serious until the past two months or so.
  • cromk1993
    Options
    I went from being in good shape and healthy to being more than 100 pounds over weight. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until I stepped on the scale and saw a number I never thought I would ever see! :( I now weight as much as my fiancé who is 6"2' and I'm only 5"6'!!! Oh man it's time for a change, it's time to take a look at myself and change the way I take care of my body!!
  • PamazonDreams
    PamazonDreams Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize I'd gained weight, mostly because I loathe pants (skirts are sneaky like that - they just sit a bit higher up when you gain weight, so you don't realize....sweaters are sneaky, too - they just stretch....and don't even get me started on loose tops....). THEN, I went to go skiing a few weeks ago and....my snow pants didn't fit. Now, don't get me wrong, mine weren't the elasti-waist type, but, still, they are not exactly the most fitted garment in the world. I was horrified. I had to buy new snow pants!!!

So, like any responsible adult, I moped around and ate (and ate and ate) for a couple of weeks, and then I got on here and started taking it seriously. Here we go!!
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I really didn't notice it happening. It was like I woke up one day and realized my clothes no longer fit. I've gained 20 pounds over the past 4 years and I am ready to get this weight off!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Sneaky *kitten*, that weight gain that happens over several years. The worst kind!!
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    When I realized that I weighed more than my boyfriend... although he is a skinny mini with a metabolism to die for (lucky him!) he is 4-5 inches taller than me. Being with my boyfriend all the time I ate super unhealthily and convinced myself I could eat like he could... which I can't! Also my clothes stopped fitting. I had attempted to lose weight a couple times before but nothing serious until the past two months or so.

I had exactly this experience with my BF.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I finally realized I was buying larger sizes every few years, and noticing that the image I saw in the mirror (standing up straight with tummy pulled in) wasn't the same image I was seeing in candid photos of myself! I didn't like my tummy pooch, how thick my arms were getting, and had started buying longer and longer shorts every summer because the fat was creeping down to my knees and beyond! :tongue:

I was around 40 at the time and decided things weren't going to get any better on their own. I had been (and still am) a stay at home mom since my kid (now 16) was born, and fairly idle. And I thought I ate pretty healthy until I started logging foods and seeing how little protein I was getting, and how big a lot of my portions were - I was good at overeating!

So, 4-5 years later, I'm down 25lbs, stronger, fitter, and feeling so much better than I have in years! Lifestyle change is in place and I plan to continue for the rest of my days. :drinker: