What's the point of exercising?

Options
What's the point of exercising if I have to eat back the calories that I burned?

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    To get fit, to tone up & look good, to prevent all sorts of diseases that are associated with people who do not exercise but are overweight..need I go on.....
  • Blr31977
    Blr31977 Posts: 49
    Options
    I rarely eat them back... I work out in the evening and if I ate them back I would be eating all night.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    to keep your blood flowing, to tighten you up and to build muscle so you are not skinny on the outside but fat on the weak on the inside. It is good for you in tons of ways.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Did you really just ask that question?
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat them back... I work out in the evening and if I ate them back I would be eating all night.

Hardly a reason, if you know you are going to work out you can spread the calories over the day..no problem!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage!! And cardiovascular strength, avoiding health problems, and feeling great! A better question - what is the point of losing weight if you're not going to be healthy?
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    To get fit, to tone up & look good, to prevent all sorts of diseases that are associated with people who do not exercise but are overweight..need I go on.....
    I'll go on.. to replace the muscle you lose, to increase your metabolism, to feel strong, to stay young, to have the body you want not weigh what you want ... Anyone want to take over?
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    I may log my workouts but I try not to eat the calories I have burned, that way I achieve the weight loss quicker.
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    what is the point of losing weight if you're not going to be healthy?
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What's the point of exercising if I have to eat back the calories that I burned?

Go back and read all the links people gave you in your "what should my net calories be?" thread. Those will answer this question too.
  • TheKatzMeow77
    Options
    If you don't eat them back you will lose more weight, just make sure your not eating less than 1200 calories a day that is not healthy, I have lost 100.2 so far on my journey and I rarely eat my calories back (sometimes they sneek in there though lol):wink:
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    They say because you need to net-calories in [minus] cal out [to equal] your calorie goal for the day. I don't buy it, but it's really worked for some people on here!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    so you don't lose muscle as you lose weight
    To feel better,
    to have more energy
    so you are not "skinny fat" thin with high BF%
    to become stronger,
    to become faster,
    need I go on

You eat those cals to give you the energy your body requires from working out. Eating 1300 cals and not working out is the same at eating 1700 cals and burning 400 as 1700-400 = 1300.
  • barbsus1991
    barbsus1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The more lean muscle you have on your body, the faster you burn calories, therefor the more you can eat and still maintain the same loss, and therefor be able to keep it up for a longer period of time! If you want this to be a change in lifestyle and something you can maintain, you need lean muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I may log my workouts but I try not to eat the calories I have burned, that way I achieve the weight loss quicker.

quicker is usually not better. What is wrong with just meeting your goal loss/week?
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Same here!!! I work out at 6-7:30p.m. I usually end the night with a bowl of cereal or a bowl of icecream after the workout. I view those as my time to cheat cals burned. I never eat them back at all! Normally I eat around 1270 a day and am allowed 1350. On exercise days, when I use my elliptical I burn over 1230 cals! no way I am eating back that many cals! Those are my awesome weight loss days! I only get "yelled at" by MFP when I eat under 1200 cals period. I listen to my body and if I am hungry I will eat, and try for something healthy, though it ain't always the case!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    exercise to the point of muscle fatigue (your muscles feel tired) tears them down so they come pack stronger and leaner. Eating back the exercise calories is a personal choice and if you are eating them back make sure it is with healthy lower fat foods.
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    You don't have to eat back all of them, firstly. Furthermore, exercise builds muscle and muscle uses up more energy than fat does. That means that when you lose weight, not only will you look better overall, as you are more toned, but you will be able to keep the weight off more easily, because you need to eat more to maintain your weight. Exercise is also good for your heart - not everything is about weightloss.

And if you eat 1200 calories, burn 400 and then eat back that 400, you will still lose weight, but you will also have all the nutrients from the extra 400 you ate, but none of the calories (extra vitamins and minerals that are good for you).
  • wanderingpilgrim
    wanderingpilgrim Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage!! And cardiovascular strength, avoiding health problems, and feeling great! A better question - what is the point of losing weight if you're not going to be healthy?

AMEN!!!! Skinny does not equal healthy!!!
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options

quicker is usually not better. What is wrong with just meeting your goal loss/week?

What's wrong with it if you're doing what you feel is right (exercising and eating healthy) and it's coming off quick?