What's the point of exercising?

Options

Replies

• JenniferO1982
    JenniferO1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically calculates a deficit for you—so not eating back your calories increases the deficit. I suggest eating them back. You need the energy if you are working hard, and it will help prevent your body from going into starvation mode. With only 9 pounds to lose (after losing 81), I find that I CANNOT have less than a 500 calorie deficit, or else my weight loss stalls. So if I exercise, I basically have to eat them back. It wasn't always the case, but certainly it is now.

Hope that helps:)
  • roxie0920
    roxie0920 Posts: 41
    Options
    so you don't lose muscle as you lose weight
    To feel better,
    to have more energy
    so you are not "skinny fat" thin with high BF%
    to become stronger,
    to become faster,
    need I go on

You eat those cals to give you the energy your body requires from working out. Eating 1300 cals and not working out is the same at eating 1700 cals and burning 400 as 1700-400 = 1300.

Do you ever wonder how many times you're going to have to post this same exact information?
  • choley222
    choley222 Posts: 57
    Options
    I think the whole subject of eating the calories back is a preference and you have to see what works for you. I never eat my calories back, I never have and never will. I see my doctor on a regular basis and she knows what I am eating and how much I exercise so I am not doing anything she doesn't approve of. I also work with a personal trainer who agrees to lose weight you need to burn more than you are taking in. The point of exercising is many reasons but one of the top is heart health. When you strength train you build lean muscle that burns fat so you will lose weight quicker. Can you lose weight without exercise, yes you can. You will not be toned and you will have loose skin if you have a lot to lose. I would suggest at least something even if it's only 30 minutes a day.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Because skinny fat is not the look I"m going for :glasses:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    For heart health, general health overall, lower cholesterol, endorphins, and so you don't end up looking skinny fat with no muscle tone!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    Because skinny fat is not the look I"m going for :glasses:

amen!
  • baghdaddymama
    Options
    When you exercise your going to be building your muscle, giving yourself endurance and buring off "bad fat and calories" and junk that you have in your body that you don't want to have there in the first place. Then when you go to eat, your going to be changing your lifestyle all together because the things you put "in" your body will be what your body needs to replenish and keep on growing into a more healthier you. Hope this makes sense. Pretty much out with the bad in with the good and grow you go :)
  • frb2012
    frb2012 Posts: 6
    Options
  • shanhawk
    shanhawk Posts: 44
    Options
    Exercise helps you feel good, build lean muscle, it decreases stress and it's good for you. You eat your exercise cals back because your body needs it to function properly!! The more you do the more "fuel" your body needs. You don't have to eat back all of them every day unless you want to...but you should eat back enough to be at a min. of 1200 net cals.
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    I rarely eat them back... I work out in the evening and if I ate them back I would be eating all night.
    Same here!!! I work out at 6-7:30p.m. I usually end the night with a bowl of cereal or a bowl of icecream after the workout. I view those as my time to cheat cals burned. I never eat them back at all! Normally I eat around 1270 a day and am allowed 1350. On exercise days, when I use my elliptical I burn over 1230 cals! no way I am eating back that many cals! Those are my awesome weight loss days! I only get "yelled at" by MFP when I eat under 1200 cals period. I listen to my body and if I am hungry I will eat, and try for something healthy, though it ain't always the case!

Did you say that right? Did I read it right? You eat 1270 a day and burn 1230 in excercise? So your body has to function for 22-23 hours (assuming a 1-2 hr workout) on a whopping 40 calories? OMG - how long have been doing this without yet being brought to the hospital on a stretcher? I really think you need to re-think this. If you don't believe us on MFP, PLEASE explain this to your doctor and see what she/he thinks.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    what exactly is "skinny fat"?
    Because it sounds like I'd rather be skinny fat than fat fat.
  • shanhawk
    shanhawk Posts: 44
    Options
    To feel better,
    to have more energy
    to become stronger,
    to become faster,
    need I go on

You eat those cals to give you the energy your body requires from working out. Eating 1300 cals and not working out is the same at eating 1700 cals and burning 400 as 1700-400 = 1300.

Do you ever wonder how many times you're going to have to post this same exact information?

I'm pretty sure he has already posted it TWICE just today!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    To feel better,
    to have more energy
    to become stronger,
    to become faster,
    need I go on

LOL!!!!!!!! I used to.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Metabolism!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Besides all the excellent physical reasons given so far there are the mental benefits as well. It makes your blood flow which wakes up your brain and elevates your mood too. Also, it can help you sleep better at night when you get in some good exercise during the day; not because you are more tired but because you have a better oxygen flow.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

Skinny fat is basically being at a "good" weight, but having little to no muscle mass and high body fat percentage.

Two people, same stats: 5'5" tall, 130 lbs. But one with 20% BF, and one with 30% BF. The one with 30% is "skinny fat".

Skinny does not equal healthy.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    To feel better,
    to have more energy
    to become stronger,
    to become faster,
    need I go on

LOL!!!!!!!! I used to.

And now you just know it will be more than can ever be counted.... :laugh:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    To feel better,
    to have more energy
    to become stronger,
    to become faster,
    need I go on

LOL!!!!!!!! I used to.

I seriously think shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com should be the staple answer for every question like this.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

not necessarily. Skinny fat means you're at the correct weight for your body, but a far higher percentage of it is body fat than is considered healthy. It comes with a whole host of issues.

One is not necessarily healthier than the other.

Put it this way, I'd rather have 10 extra lbs of body fat and 10 extra lbs of muscle mass, then lose 20 lbs total, half of which is muscle. Besides the fact that muscle looks good on a body, it helps with everything from metabolism, to joint and bone health, to strength and balance. Being athletically active helps everything in your body, your cardiovascular system, your skeletal system, you metabolism, your immune system, your cholesterol, your digestive system, skin, hair, nails, concentration levels...etc. the list goes on and on.