Options
    so you don't lose muscle as you lose weight
    To feel better,
    to have more energy
    so you are not "skinny fat" thin with high BF%
    to become stronger,
    to become faster,
    need I go on

You eat those cals to give you the energy your body requires from working out. Eating 1300 cals and not working out is the same at eating 1700 cals and burning 400 as 1700-400 = 1300.

Do you ever wonder how many times you're going to have to post this same exact information?

LOL!!!!!!!! I used to.

I seriously think shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com should be the staple answer for every question like this.

Agree!
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    what exactly is "skinny fat"?
    Because it sounds like I'd rather be skinny fat than fat fat.

Skinny fat is basically being at a "good" weight, but having little to no muscle mass and high body fat percentage.

Two people, same stats: 5'5" tall, 130 lbs. But one with 20% BF, and one with 30% BF. The one with 30% is "skinny fat".

Skinny does not equal healthy.

I know it doesn't, but fat isn't healthy either...and I'm just saying, I think I'd rather be skinny!
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Meh. I don't eat exercise calories back. My average daily net is around 500 and I'm losing just fine. I'm also gaining muscle just fine. Different strokes for different folks.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    What's the point of exercising if I have to eat back the calories that I burned?

Athletic performance.
    Mental health and well being.
    Reduced likelihood of heart disease, strokes, hypertension, some cancers, lower back pain.
    Increased mineral bone density.
    Increased likelihood of keeping weight regulated following the end of dieting.
    Looking damn sexy.
    Manage and prevention of diabetes.

Did I mention looking damn sexy? That's one...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    To feel better,
    to have more energy
    to become stronger,
    to become faster,
    need I go on

You eat those cals to give you the energy your body requires from working out. Eating 1300 cals and not working out is the same at eating 1700 cals and burning 400 as 1700-400 = 1300.

Do you ever wonder how many times you're going to have to post this same exact information?

LOL!!!!!!!! I used to.

I seriously think shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com should be the staple answer for every question like this.

love this site!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    love this site!!!

:wink: lemme know if there's any links you'd like to add to the 2nd page there
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Meh. I don't eat exercise calories back. My average daily net is around 500 and I'm losing just fine. I'm also gaining muscle just fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Um. I hate to burst your bubble, but it's pretty much a mathematical impossibility to build muscle on 500 net a day (this is proven in medical literature). Like saying you're building a building with one 2 x 4. Doesn't work. You're a grown up, make your own choices. But at least be aware of the actual consequences.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    love this site!!!

:wink: lemme know if there's any links you'd like to add to the 2nd page there

Taso, there was one from Trent that he posted a while back that I just found. Lemme find it.....

Here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/117726-eating-exercise-cals-slowing-your-weight-loss-read-this
  • MommyRobot
    Options

Um. I hate to burst your bubble, but it's pretty much a mathematical impossibility to build muscle on 500 net a day (this is proven in medical literature). Like saying you're building a building with one 2 x 4. Doesn't work. You're a grown up, make your own choices. But at least be aware of the actual consequences.

That is your opinion, I respect and appreciate it. I've done my research and decided what is best for me. It's working for me. Also, my doctor and trainer know what is going in and coming out and they're both comfortable with it.

If you'd like to come over and feel all my newly found muscles you're more than welcome to. ;)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

There is a possibility that you aren't actually netting 500 calories a day. Maybe you're not being completely precise in tracking food and if that is combined with high estimates on exercise calories burned, you could be netting much higher than you think.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    To feel better,
    to have more energy
    to become stronger,
    to become faster,
    need I go on

Are people ever going to understand this? I mean everyone has answered it but even though you are eating the calories back, by exercising you are building muscle which burns more fat than just not eating a lot. The more lean muscle you have, the more fat your body burns even when your are doing nothing.
  • MommyRobot
    Options

There is a possibility that you aren't actually netting 500 calories a day. Maybe you're not being completely precise in tracking food and if that is combined with high estimates on exercise calories burned, you could be netting much higher than you think.

I use a HRM at the gym and I track everything that goes in. Down to the sugar free cream in my coffee. Your way of losing isn't the only way.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Well, to fit into smaller clothes (you'll be less compact), to be fit and strong, to feel better (it's a great mood lifter), and finally you'll burn more calories at rest, :smile:
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options

how has this not gotten any love.

Amazing!

lolololololol!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

how has this not gotten any love.

Amazing!

lolololololol!

ehehehe, because they are forced to post it like 20 times a day. :P
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You might think the earth is a sphere, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion, so that's fine if you want to believe that. But I look out my window and I can see the earth is flat (or, maybe it's a cube, I haven't walked to the edge yet....). Keep your damn science out it. :ohwell:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

I use a HRM at the gym and I track everything that goes in. Down to the sugar free cream in my coffee. Your way of losing isn't the only way.

It's not an opinion, it's the laws of physics. As you lose weight and the fat on top of the muscles decreases, muscles may be come more defined, and therefore appear "bigger". But they cannot grow in size without a surplus of energy.

If what you're doing is working for you, that's great. I just prefer that people be aware of what they are actually doing.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    You might think the earth is a sphere, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion, so that's fine if you want to believe that. But I look out my window and I can see the earth is flat (or, maybe it's a cube, I haven't walked to the edge yet....). Keep your damn science out it. :ohwell:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think I actually just peed a little.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What's the point of exercising if I have to eat back the calories that I burned?

In a word: Results.
    In a lot of words: Take a listen to Irene Cara's song "What a Feeling". It's kinda like that. :smile:
  • GoGettmGirl419
    Options
    I agree with you not eating them back...I don't excercise just to eat..I excercise to tone and lose weight