What are you reading at the moment?

Options
Since we have a thread for music, I thought one for all us bookworms might be nice as well :smile:

So - tell us what you're reading at the moment!

I've just finished a collection of short stories by Richard Matheson, called "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet".
I only bought the book from Amazon because it had a short horror-ish story in that I read as a child (probably shouldn't have been reading Richard Matheson at the age of 9/10 but I had an accelerated reading age :laugh: ) called "Crickets" and it's one of the only stories that's really stayed with me in the back of my mind since I first read it.

Now if I could only find the horror/thriller book I read as a teenager and the anthology that has another horror-ish short I read as a child, I'll be happy :laugh:

Replies

• KaylatheChristian
    Options
    I am on a Stephen King kick right now. I read Under the Dome, followed by the Stand, and am currently finishing Insomnia. I just love his books :)

I am also working on reading the entire New Testament during Lent. :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I just finished Songs of the doomed by Hunter sThompson
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Right at the moment I'm reading this thread. HAR HAR HAR!

I'm currently reading "The Apothecary's Daughter." I had been on a fantasy/sci-fi kick for a while, so I'm trying to break away from that rut for a while.
  • nmccabe33
    nmccabe33 Posts: 35
    Options
    I've been on a Joe Hill kick. He's Stephen King's son. I've read Horns and Heart-Shaped Box. I just finished his short story book 20th Century Ghosts and am about to try a comic he wrote.
  • jram72
    jram72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Broke by Glenn Beck. I last read The Confession by John Grisham.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan and a book of poems by Sylvia Plath. =)
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm re-reading the Last Vampire Series from Christopher Pike.
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    Just before reading the Richard Matheson collection, I read a series of books that were SO good, I'm missing the latest 3 or 4 and it's driving me CRAZY!!!

It's hard to categorize the genre, but the author is F Paul Wilson and the series is Repairman Jack:
    The Tomb
    Legacies
    Conspiracies (this one actually kept me up at night, it really got my brain whirring!)
    All The Rage
    Hosts
    The Haunted Air
    Gateways
    CrissCross
    Infernal
    Harbingers
    Blood Line
    By The Sword

There are a couple others but I have no clue what they're called - I've not read Blood Line or By The Sword
  • peacemom
    peacemom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Historical Fiction is my favorite genre. I just finished 'Fall of Giants' by Ken Follett. Fabulous.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo and have The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe on deck...
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am almost finished with The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. In my car I have A Red Herring Without Mustard (a Flavia de Luce mystery) by Alan Bradley. This week I have The Abortionist's Daughter on Playaway for dog walking. I am a Librarian, so I read a lot! My focus is Teen Librarianship, but I also have to do adult reader's advisory! If you ever need a recommendation let me know!
  • loveshuffle
    Options
    "The Fry Chronicles" by Stephen Fry

and

"The year of living biblically" by A.J. Jacobs

both very well written and funny!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm in school full time and running my own personal training business, so I don't have time for fun reading. Instead, I'm reading school books:

Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning (NSCA manual)
    Clinical Exercise Physiology
    Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (ACSM manual)
    Resources for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (another ACSM manual)
    Nutrition Across the Lifespan
    Nutrition and Diet Therapy

Yeah, I can't wait to be done with school so I can read for fun. I'm going to stalk this thread so that I get some ideas for books for the summer when I don't have classes. :wink:
  • JustVibeWithMe
    Options
    Just finished Kiss of the Wolf by Morgan Hawke, a great collection http://darkerotica.blogspot.com/?zx=6265980fb5955e77
    Now I am reading a Take Me With You: A Round-the-World Journey to Invite a Stranger Home by Brad Newsham.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The Slight Edge Jeff Olson
    Great book for anyone who feels like they're missing the one thing that would help achieve a goal, realize a dream, or push you up the ladder of success. :glasses:
  • fairyjester
    Options
    right now I am reading Seeking Spirits: The Lost Cases of The Atlantic Paranormal Society its from the ghost hunters show, a quilty pleasure of mine.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm ordering the book "We Were One" next. I have already read a few chapters of it off of the internet, but now I have to buy it, if I want to read on, lol. Just finished "The Sun also Rises" a little while back, I haven't been reading very much lately because of my busy schedule, but I'm really excited about this new book I found. I'd really love to read some more Hemingway too, I really love him. But I heard about the book I'd like to get my hands on next, read a bit of it and totally got sucked in, then I'll move onto the next Hemingway I can find!
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I will be starting Monster or Divine Misfortune by A Lee Martinez this weekend. I'm reading Gena Showalter's Twice as Hot...book two in a paranormal/sci-fi series about a girl who can control the 4 elements.
  • jwill10
    jwill10 Posts: 30
    Options
    I loved the Apothecary's Daughter, it was a great find. Now I am reading Child al confino (might not be spelled correctly but the book is not right in front of me) Another fantastic book. I have the nook from B&N and have only purchased one book, they have a great selection of free books with a featured on every friday.
  • DJH3
    DJH3 Posts: 243
    Options
    The Half-Orcs Series by David Dalglish. Fantastic series from a relatively new writer. I told him I would let everyone know what a great writer I think he ia. It's a fantasy series set in a world where these half orcs brothers try to find their place in the world. Not gonna write a review but check it out on Amazon if you like dark fantasy.