Are you kidding me??

Options
I am all for enforcing good habits for children and keeping them healthy...but this TO ME is a bit much. What do you think?

ff.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/First-Fitness-Kids-Treadmill/dp/B001BMFDT4

Replies

• hairjunkie
    hairjunkie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    that's pretty disturbing.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    wow... wouldn't it be better to go outside n play?!
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    That's ridiculous! Whatever happened to playing outside or at the park? What has this world come to!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i agree most kids are active enough as they are. That's why everyone wants to bottle their energy.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I know I'm just an old fogey, but I think the kids should go outside and play. Run around or go to the playground. This looks silly to me.
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I'm with you, that's a bit much!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    ROFL! Wow, just wow. Yep we should certainly raise our kids to be like hamsters in a cage. :laugh: Kids are active enough they do not need a treadmill like this. It is eating habits that need work when it comes to kids.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    my kids like to imitate me. They wii fit beside me, they zumba with me, they lift little weights with me. If I ran on the treadmill, I would have a hard time keeping them off...this seems the perfect answer to that problem....
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    They'll already do that if you just put some ground beneath them haha that's really funny and a little scary.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options

I agree. I was a really skinny child because most of my time was spent running around and having fun.

Its just sad that there are kids without that option.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    lol, a friend of mine totally showed me that here at work for her daughter, and i talked her into not ordering it. the site does have an exercise bike for kids though and she bought that. At least that is actually fun for her daughter!
  • chugglebunny
    Options
    I'm all for children being healthy but not by installing in them at a young age that they need to work out and be thin...that can lead to serious issues when they get older

Buying them a bike and encouraging them to play outside with friends is what I would do or actually taking them to a park to play. This seems like lazy parenting to me!
  • lovlegs84
    lovlegs84 Posts: 17
    Options
    That's really disturbing !!!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    idk... perhaps it is meant as a toy?

alot of young children want to emulate their parents and if mummy is using treadmill every day the child might like to copy mummy by using her own treadmill at the same time?

sure better than the child sitting watching tv and being told to not bother mummy while she is exercising don't you think?

editedto add:
    not much different then than if the child was given a play kitchen stove etc etc
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Not only is that disturbing, it's almost cruel.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Just curious do you have kids?

This isn't a product I would buy. But I can see the value in it. My kids LOVE to exercise with me. When they were younger and I had a treadmill vs the elliptical I have now, they really really wanted to walk on it with me or when I was done. This child's one is a safer alternative. It also would keep the child busy while mom is working out. Kids love to mimic adults and this is just another way to do that. I don't think it's over the top.

And regards to playing outside - yes, when the weather is good, of course playing outside is best, but not always an option when it's too cold, windy, raining or too early in Am to be up and out there yet.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I get the idea that kids want to do what Mommy's doing, but why not take them for a walk outside? Way more fun.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    at first i rolled my eyes when i saw that and thought about how i was as a child. I rode my bike everywhere and ran too with just the other neighborhood kids and no parental supervision. sadly now, I don't know if i would let my children do that. Is the treadmill excessive? absolutely, but if kids want to work out with mom while she walks/runs and watches tv indoors then perhaps it does have a place in the home. I don't have kids yet nor do i know if i would consider ordering it for them, however after seeing shows like Too Fat for 15 perhaps it's not as negative as we think it is. Also like any toy, how long before the kids get over it and it's pushed to the side?
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    my kids like to imitate me. They wii fit beside me, they zumba with me, they lift little weights with me. If I ran on the treadmill, I would have a hard time keeping them off...this seems the perfect answer to that problem....

My little girl is the same way. . .I just about have to workout before she gets out of bed or else I'm having to make sure I'm not stepping on her because she wants to be right there doing what I am doing! So NO, I would never buy it for her to make her get exercise but I can see her loving it and having fun with it if Mommy had a treadmill too :smile: