• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    bump
  • cath1024
    cath1024 Posts: 79 Member
    bump for later
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Has it been addressed anywhere else in this thread that eating a severely calorie restricted (1000 cals a day) but nutrient rich diet slows the ageing process and mice put on this type of diet live twice as long as normally fed mice? There are a fair few humans doing it to extend their life span.

I am eating this way: for me, calorie restriction is not about weight loss, and in my case, my metabolism adapting to the low caloric intake is actually a good thing! I want that adaptation to happen, because otherwise eating around 1000 Calories a day would be impossible. Because of the care I take over nutrition it's not as if "my body is eating itself", or my muscle is "wasting away". But actually, everyone who is losing weight will lose both fat and muscle tissue.

I can assure people though that if you're constantly in deficit you will continue to lose weight albeit at a decreasing rate. For most people, 1000 Calories will be between 50% - 60% of their daily energy expenditure, unless they work out a lot, then of course it may be 25% and that's clearly unsustainable.

My exercise consists of long distance walking, for which i train daily, and of periods in the field when I do much heavy physical work to maintain a base camp.
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    I disagree...

a plateau is not enough water.....Drink more of it..If your liver is working at optimum you cannot plateau... I understand every person you have shown has plateaued I also understand that I have in the past... but I plateaued eating almost 2000 calories....The moment, I mean moment I upped my water weight loss every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    I disagree...

a plateau is not enough water.....Drink more of it..If your liver is working at optimum you cannot plateau... I understand every person you have shown has plateaued I also understand that I have in the past... but I plateaued eating almost 2000 calories....The moment, I mean moment I upped my water weight loss every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion.

When you eat in a hypocaloric state, T3 hormone production is slowed, lowering your BMR. It has nothing to do with water. It's about the amount of hormones that your body produces in a hypocaloric state vs hypercaloric state.
  • I believe in starvation mode...
  • dudeness
    dudeness Posts: 2
    I never make my calories in a day, but my reason is I always think I get the food wrong that I home make and leave extra for this... I've lost 13 pounds since December, is this about right?
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I never make my calories in a day, but my reason is I always think I get the food wrong that I home make and leave extra for this... I've lost 13 pounds since December, is this about right?

Dudeness- that is a fine and healthy pace. Just keep in mind your "Calories burned From Daily Activity" (on your goals page) in reference to your daily goal and keep in mind that sometimes the answer to weightloss frustrations can just as easily be to add 100 calories to your daily goal, as to drop even lower. Focus on getting the most amount of healthy food you can and you will keep doing well!

What is being talked about with starvation mode, or famine response, is a slowing of the BMR- essentially your metabolism slows down to adjust to the lower amount of food/caloric intake. When you restrict food, your body adjusts by slowing your metabolism- this doesnt stop burn, but since MFP is based on these estimates, slowing them down can affect your estimation.

For me- I like to eat and enjoy my food, I have no desire to figure out what the fewest amount of calories I can live on are. If you do have this interest, like lodro above, that's great because he has it researched and in consciously making specific efforts. But for your MFPer, it can be an easy sandtrap to fall into because they just assume that less calories = more loss.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Has it been addressed anywhere else in this thread that eating a severely calorie restricted (1000 cals a day) but nutrient rich diet slows the ageing process and mice put on this type of diet live twice as long as normally fed mice? There are a fair few humans doing it to extend their life span.

I am eating this way: for me, calorie restriction is not about weight loss, and in my case, my metabolism adapting to the low caloric intake is actually a good thing! I want that adaptation to happen, because otherwise eating around 1000 Calories a day would be impossible. Because of the care I take over nutrition it's not as if "my body is eating itself", or my muscle is "wasting away". But actually, everyone who is losing weight will lose both fat and muscle tissue.

That's not true, if you do it right you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time. I'm living proof, and many others are too. Especially when you begin with a higher body fat percentage. The leaner you get, the more difficult it becomes.
    I can assure people though that if you're constantly in deficit you will continue to lose weight albeit at a decreasing rate. For most people, 1000 Calories will be between 50% - 60% of their daily energy expenditure, unless they work out a lot, then of course it may be 25% and that's clearly unsustainable.

My exercise consists of long distance walking, for which i train daily, and of periods in the field when I do much heavy physical work to maintain a base camp.
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    I never eat mine
    obviously nothing has kept me from losing.
    When you get closer to your goal, it will be different.

what if you aren't hungry? should you eat back those calories anyway?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    I never eat mine
    obviously nothing has kept me from losing.
    When you get closer to your goal, it will be different.

what if you aren't hungry? should you eat back those calories anyway?
    [/quote]

Part of one of my posts:

Starving/Not Hungry?

One of the most important aspects of this plan is that it helps you retrain your body and your mind to recognize healthy eating habits. This includes eating healthy foods and a healthy AMOUNT of food. If you are here, you likely have bad eating habits. Bad eating habits are not simply eating too much. Skipping meals, eating too little, eating irregularly, and eating the wrong ratio of macros (protein/fat/carb) are all habits that will contribute to an unhealthy weight.

MFP is a tool to help your body and mind to recognize how much you should be eating, how often, and what kinds of food. In the beginning, you may feel starving. Or you may not feel hungry at all. You should not necessarily trust either of these feelings. If you have abused your body, it has adapted to your bad habits and no longer gives you cues for a healthy intake. Aim for your daily cal goal, and give your body time to adjust to these changes. It may take days or weeks for your body to adapt to a healthy intake of healthy food. You didn’t learn your bad habits overnight, and you won’t fix them overnight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

Increase cals throughout the day (25-50 cals more per meal/snack) and you won't feel like you're stuffing yourself. Undereating is just as bad as overeating. :wink:
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member

That's not true, if you do it right you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time. I'm living proof, and many others are too. Especially when you begin with a higher body fat percentage. The leaner you get, the more difficult it becomes.
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    I hate beeing hungry, so I eat when I am hungry and stop eating when I feel full. Thats why I eat almost every 2 hours something small. Nobody should starve. That is not natural. Doesn't matter if you eat up your calories or not as long you are never hungry.
  • etpx3
    etpx3 Posts: 147 Member
    bump
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member

As I said, in my case, I'm not interested in weightloss (actually, I'm losing weight, but it's stabilizing and to me that's a good thing) and I'm also not interested in building muscle, except for being as fit as I can be under the given circumstances.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    ...I'm also not interested in building muscle, except for being as fit as I can be under the given circumstances.

Not to sound like a smart *kitten*, but that sounds like an oxymoron. How do you get fit, especially for a guy, without building muscles?!?!
This discussion has been closed.