Needing help with another issue - smoking

Options

Replies

• poolcue
    poolcue Posts: 35
    Options
    Today went by without a hitch on the smoking front, however I haven't been able to find the time to workout. Don't want to lose sleep over workout, it will just defeat the purpose.

PC
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    Good For you!!! You should be proud.... One day at a time...:)
  • poolcue
    Options
    Hope everyboody is doing well. I think I've finally quit smoking, I don't even care if I have a cigarette or not anymore. However there is still that one thing. Since I don't smoke anymore, will I be able to become a social smoker? Or will that be the end of my smoke free life and that I will pick up smoking again?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Hope everyboody is doing well. I think I've finally quit smoking, I don't even care if I have a cigarette or not anymore. However there is still that one thing. Since I don't smoke anymore, will I be able to become a social smoker? Or will that be the end of my smoke free life and that I will pick up smoking again?
    From what I've read. It's like being an alcoholic, who can't have another drink or they could start again.
    If you have a cigarette and try to be a social smoker, IMO you will eventually become a full fledged smoker again.
    Not sure why you'd want to become a social smoker.

You've done a great job. We will always have those temptations, but they don't last.

Remember those things that made you quit.
    Coughing
    Smell
    How hard the nicotine withdrawals were.
    How much better you feel without smoking.
    How much money your saving.

This was your reply from monday.

Never really thought how bad I smelled until today. I had someone came into my office that just got done smoking a cigarette outside, wow I almost didn't make it. Just picture that's why I used to smell like, I am really glad I made this decision. Keep up the great work guys and gals.

PC
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    PC
    Think about it this way, You know how you used to go out with your friends to have a smoke, soon if you feel your strong enough you can stand outside with them and NOT smoke. I know for me thats the one thing that I miss is going out for the smoke and chitchatting but I have went out with them and afterwards my clothes stink so bad I cant stand myself, I always make sure NOT to take my coat when going out with them.
    I would and never will go back to smoking EVER not in a bar not in a car not in a box not with a fox I will not will not smoke again :)
    My Hubby likes the smell of cigarettes and goes out with his buddies all the time at work and I cant be around him when he gets home for a while.
    Its so much better not smoking than to even take a drag.
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    I could not be a social smoker.... Apparently, I have tried and just became a smoker.... Don't try it and undo all of the hard work you have done. You help to inspire me and others.
    Thanks Peter and QTpies mom for the inspiration and reminders.. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks with out a smoke. !!!!
    I am very proud of what I have accomplished. Thank you to everyone on this thread for the support.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    PC, Although I have a 2 year quit going right now, it's not the first time I have quit. Every single time in the past I would be doing well and then come upon a situation where a cigarette seemed like a harmless "social smoking" kinda of a thing. I'd have one or two on bowling league night which then turned back into a pack a day. I know this about me - one puff today will be a pack tomorrow. I don't want to smoke a pack a day or even half a pack a day so I won't take a puff today.

Don't tempt fate! You can crave a cigarette, not smoke one and still live a happy life. There will be times, likely for the rest of your life, when you want a cigarette. You won't die if you don't have one. Each subsequent craving should get a little easier. After two years I'm down to about 3 strong cravings a week. I can handle that. Stay strong.
  • poolcue
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's support. I will stay cigarette free, I have urges but not that bad ones, or maybe the chantix is not completely out of my system yet.
    Thump, you are right I really didn't like that smell again.

Oh still not smoking. I think it's a little over two weeks, but not sure any more, LOL.

PC
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    I feel you pain PC! You are a few days ahead of me. I am 2 weeks today and it was a rough day , but I made it through!
    Hang in there!!!
  • LG61820
    Options
    Today a few coworkers and I went on a short trip with our boss. Prior to going into the building we were visiting, the smokers all had to huddle on the chilly streetcorner to get their last drags in. For the first time I thought, I'm so glad I'm not in bondage to that anymore. It is bondage, be glad, glad, glad that you are getting out!!!!!
  • poolcue
    Options
    I am on day 20 smoke free now, I am feeling great and do not feel like I need to smoke a cigarette. Yesterday I went to my in law's house to help out a little. My MIL is a smoker, maybe I am not used to it anymore, her house doesn't smell as fresh as I remembered, glad I don't have to worry about other people think about that of my house.
    What surprises me is that I still haven't had anyone asked me if I had quit, well beside my immediate family that is.

PC
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    I am on day 20 smoke free now, I am feeling great and do not feel like I need to smoke a cigarette. Yesterday I went to my in law's house to help out a little. My MIL is a smoker, maybe I am not used to it anymore, her house doesn't smell as fresh as I remembered, glad I don't have to worry about other people think about that of my house.
    What surprises me is that I still haven't had anyone asked me if I had quit, well beside my immediate family that is.

PC

That is crazy that no one has noticed you dont smoke anymore
    Good for you for making it to 20 days YOU are a NON SMOKER. I cant stand going into a smokers house anymore its yucky
    Ive never smoked in our house because of our kids so Im glad now never to have to worry about that

How is everyone else doing
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry if nobody else knows your not smoking... Who cares about them.
    Just know your not putting those chemicals into your system.

I haven't gotten into anybody's house who's a smoker yet, but I have noticed walking by the smoking area at any establishment.
    That thick smelly fog..

Good going everybody.
    7 weeks myself.

(from my quit smoking program).

Peter - Free and Healing for One Month, Eighteen Days and 32 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 9 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1226 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $442.09.

That's just crazy, 7 weeks, $442 and 1226 cigarettes.
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    PC Congrats on being non smoker! I tell everyone that used to know I smiked that I have quit. I guess I didn't give them a chance. I am still having a hard time and it has been 2 1/2 weeks and today was all I could do not to buy any cigs. I had a very stressful day and have a really stressful tomorrow. I just kept telling myself, as I passed the convenience store, I want to be able to breath when I am working out this evening.
    Congrats to you all!!
    We are non smokers!!!
  • LG61820
    Options
    Jenyfur, Congrats on making it past that convenience store. When you are in a craving mode you might want to try taking some deep breaths. Smokers are used to deep breathing every time they light up. Deep breathing is likely as calming as the chemicals in the cigarettes.

Life will continue to be stressful whether you are smoking or not smoking. But you'll have a better life without the cigarettes. (even if it doesn't seem like it during the craving!)

Be strong!
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    Thanks LG.
    I have been breathing deeply A LOT and keep telling myself that there is ALWAYs going to be a stressful situation. I need to suck it up now and learn how to deal with out the yucky crutch. How long do the blues last????
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    I know for me the blues took a little while but a friend of mine said you need closure. I thought she was crazy but she said think about it. A smoke has been your friend, your thing to go to in all situations good bad stressful bored ALL of them. It was always with you no matter what, it calmed you down, it made you social.
    So I thought about what its like to lose a friend and how hurt you can be from it. For me I write poetry when I need to get things out. So I went for a walk, Sat under a tree and thought about the friend I lost, had a good cry, wrote a goodbye poem, came home set the poem on fire and got closure.

Your doing great with not smoking BUT also not going back!! Drink cold water, Chew cinnamon gum. As for Stressful things happening in the day. This may sound strange but go to the bathroom if your at work and do some deep breathing and stretch. Think Relax, Calm, it will be ok.
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    I smoked for 24 years two packs a day and have been a non smoker for 6 months. The smell etc is awful. I will agree that you have to totally want to quit..

Here is the thing..You already have quit before so you know how....You have to stop telling yourself that it is hard. You know as well as anyone else does who smoked there comes a point where it no longer effects you. If you need to use the patch or gum or whatever do it.

You have already done it before.....For me I did one lazer treatment then I took on a hobby and if it was really bad I used the patch or gum....It was truthfully the easiest thing I have ever done.......But only because I was ready...Then right after quitting smoking I lost weight because I used that a smoking crutch....

Just be ready.....
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    Great job everyone who has quit, it by far was my favorite day.
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    Thanks KJ!

I am going to do this because I want to do this and I want to be healthy and proud of myself.