July 13, MFP Runner's Club

Options
124»

Replies

• food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    So I actually went out and bought a pair of decent running shoes today. My question to you experts :wink: is how you guys go about breaking in new shoes? Do I need to wear them for a few days before I can run in them or can I run in them right away?

Thanks!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    So I actually went out and bought a pair of decent running shoes today. My question to you experts :wink: is how you guys go about breaking in new shoes? Do I need to wear them for a few days before I can run in them or can I run in them right away?

Thanks!

Get in them and run!!! I had no problem wearing mine right off the bat.

What did you get?
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Okay, bought some new shoes! {yeah!}

I'm normally not a Nike fan, but the sales woman recommended them for me. Plus they were on sale, so that sealed the deal! :laugh:

If you ever get a chance Shannon try Asics gel (GT -2130) I love them!! I just bought my third pair of these for $90. Not cheap but not as expensive as some of the others. You can find them on sale at the local sporting good stores every so often.

I'm in the market. Do you recommend these for normal pronators?

Hey Kechie--

I actually over pronate but according to runners world they are good for normal to over but not for under pronators. I love them!!!!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Okay, bought some new shoes! {yeah!}

I'm normally not a Nike fan, but the sales woman recommended them for me. Plus they were on sale, so that sealed the deal! :laugh:

If you ever get a chance Shannon try Asics gel (GT -2130) I love them!! I just bought my third pair of these for $90. Not cheap but not as expensive as some of the others. You can find them on sale at the local sporting good stores every so often.

I'm in the market. Do you recommend these for normal pronators?

Hey Kechie--

I actually over pronate but according to runners world they are good for normal to over but not for under pronators. I love them!!!!

Thanks Buckeye!:flowerforyou:
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options

Thanks!

Get in them and run!!! I had no problem wearing mine right off the bat.

What did you get?

New Balance 767..I have always been a fan of nb and they fit pretty good, but we shall see tomorrow when I take them for a run!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Hi Anh

I only run in my running shoes. I usually just lace 'em up and start running in them. My latest pair was a lot heavier than my previous pair. So, I felt like I was getting more of a workout at first or running with leg weights on. It didn't take long for me to get used to the additional weight.

:heart: -Kechie.
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Ok Kelly....you didn't send enough good vibes on the run tonight!!! :laugh:

I asked my husband to go to a park with me and run the trails. He is a serious marathon runner so I knew he'd go! We went to a local park that we had never gone to before. I knew that it would have a pretty good grade of a hill on one side because we had to drive up to get to the park but holy crap!!! These trails were nothing but hills!!! I was dying. It was also horribly marked.

My husband plotted out a 6 mile run for himself and I decided just to do 4 with the humidity. HA!!! I ended up getting all messed up because they didn't have the trail names marked! I ended up having to double back to find the cut offs I wanted. The really funny thing is I had figured out by my time that I had probably done 3.5 miles and I was almost home free when I realized that the trail that I had taken was the most challenging path. I had made yet another wrong turn. I couldn't double back at this point because I would have had to run 2.5 miles back to the next cut off so I just pushed on. I rounded a corner and let out a gasp. It must have been a 20% grade and it was about .3 miles. I finally reached the peak and then it was flat for about 100 yards then I went down hill and ran across a bridge and low and behold another hill about 15% incline, but thank God not very long. Once I got to the top of that hill my polar was screaming that I was about to die so I slowed down on the next flat area, then another downhill, then flat again. According to my calculations I was almost back to the car and then peering from around the woods was not one, not two, not three but 4 sets of wooden stairs (8 in each set) I wanted to cry!! Needless to say by the time I was going up the last set of steps I was not jogging...I was barely moving!!! I walked the last few yards back to the picnic area and then collapsed on the ground. My husband came around the corner about 5 minutes later and was so excited that we had found this park. John kept telling me that it was such "a great trail for training"!! I almost tripped him!!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Ok Kelly....you didn't send enough good vibes on the run tonight!!! :laugh:

I asked my husband to go to a park with me and run the trails. He is a serious marathon runner so I knew he'd go! We went to a local park that we had never gone to before. I knew that it would have a pretty good grade of a hill on one side because we had to drive up to get to the park but holy crap!!! These trails were nothing but hills!!! I was dying. It was also horribly marked.

My husband plotted out a 6 mile run for himself and I decided just to do 4 with the humidity. HA!!! I ended up getting all messed up because they didn't have the trail names marked! I ended up having to double back to find the cut offs I wanted. The really funny thing is I had figured out by my time that I had probably done 3.5 miles and I was almost home free when I realized that the trail that I had taken was the most challenging path. I had made yet another wrong turn. I couldn't double back at this point because I would have had to run 2.5 miles back to the next cut off so I just pushed on. I rounded a corner and let out a gasp. It must have been a 20% grade and it was about .3 miles. I finally reached the peak and then it was flat for about 100 yards then I went down hill and ran across a bridge and low and behold another hill about 15% incline, but thank God not very long. Once I got to the top of that hill my polar was screaming that I was about to die so I slowed down on the next flat area, then another downhill, then flat again. According to my calculations I was almost back to the car and then peering from around the woods was not one, not two, not three but 4 sets of wooden stairs (8 in each set) I wanted to cry!! Needless to say by the time I was going up the last set of steps I was not jogging...I was barely moving!!! I walked the last few yards back to the picnic area and then collapsed on the ground. My husband came around the corner about 5 minutes later and was so excited that we had found this park. John kept telling me that it was such "a great trail for training"!! I almost tripped him!!!

:laugh: Sounds like you had quite the adventure.

How far do you think you ended up going???