What foods have you given up to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i've given up fast food. Haven't eaten it in about four or five years. I also gave up Krispy Krack.. I mean Krispy Kreme doughnuts. There was a time I was possessed by the HOT NOW sign. It would pop on and my little fat kid Zombie would kick in and U turn city here I come. :-) It was hard at first but eventually I returned back to normal lol I also kicked fatty, fried, or oily foods. (as much as possible)

PS I also "gave up" all the BS that others tried "feeding" me to make me think I was taking weight loss to seriously or going hard wasn't necesarry ... that was probably the best "food" i could stop eating (believing)

Good luck to everyone on your journey and never give up ...You're worth it!
  • danfiveoh
    danfiveoh Posts: 23
    Options
    I haven't given up a huge amount of foods, but like a lot of people I have limited it greatly. I try not to eat bread more than once a week, the same with pasta (and that's been reduced by half in portion size). I've also halved potato portion-size and increased green vegetable portion size.

I've also stopped adding sugar to cereal, and salt to meals, and I barely have any chocolate these days (which tends to make it taste a lot better!)

I think I'm on the right track, it certainly makes me feel better about the odd slice of cake here and there.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I've given up nothing. Lost 53 lbs learning to balance my nutrient intake within my calorie goal while still enjoying foods I love in moderation. I feel it set me up better for maintaining or whatever my goals may be.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Anything is fair game as long as it fits into our calories.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As a rule... bread, rice and potatoes.
    I still have pizza once in a while but I can't justify (or squeeze in) the calories to eat them (bread, rice and potatoes) on a daily basis. I don't miss them either.

For rice I just have cauliflower (shredded and fried - or baked).
    For potatoes... well, I've never really liked them to start with so now I have an excuse to avoid them.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Things I just see as a waste now - juice + fizzy drinks (unless diet)
    I severely limit takeaway, eating out etc.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i have given up dreyer's sugar free slow churned moose tracks ice cream. everything else i can do portion control, but the ice cream was a trigger,. i'd sit reading or working or watching TV, and i'd all be hear that ice cream calling me from the freezer, with its creamy, fudgy goodness :-D
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up completely, but I had to really cut back the Mt. Dew and the frequent trips to the coffee shop for the fancy coffees. I was drinking way too many of my calories. Now I might have it once or twice a month.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I thought the other day... I haven't made gravy in a while. Maybe one day I'll eat it again on a rare occasion.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. There's no need to completely strip any food out of ones diet. There are things that I eat very, very seldom now but I'm not going to ban them from my life. That only makes you want them even more and is one thing that makes people cave and binge. I don't keep ice cream in the house anymore because I would eat it every night but if I want some I just find a single serve version and have a treat.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up a lot really. I have cut back on sweeties. For me, it is what I have introduced to my diet that has really kept me going. I wanted to make changes to my diet, but more importantly I wanted to love the foods I was eating. Who would have thought that veggies tasted so good?:laugh:
  • taylorgame1
    Options
    I was on low carb for 6 months before this and I only lost 6 lbs and then plateaued. When I started counting calories again I gave up bacon for 8 weeks so far and have lost 16 lbs. I went from 168 to 152 lbs. I have never been able to get under 164 lbs in the last 2 years so I knew I had to change something. Plus I had blood tests done while I was on LC and my cholesterol level was high?? After I went on the high protein, vegetable and low fat deal all my levels were back to normal:)
  • laurenmaura
    laurenmaura Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My freshman year of college I just felt sick all the time so I cut out meat. I later found out that my aunt, who I now know has very similar dietary restrictions as me, is intolerant to the fillers in meat. It took me a while to figure I was too. Something was still wrong and got checked for Celiacs disease turns out that I am gluten intolerant. But Just something was even still wrong. I finally gave in and cut out( as best as I can) Dairy. I finally do not feel sick all the time. It has forced me to eat really clean and Check everything I eat. I started to loose the weight slowly but surely!
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything.

In some cases I've found alternatives so my diet is more varied than it was and that helps reduce the quantity of some things.

But actually give stuff up? Nope. I eat cake and ice-cream and chocolate and pizza and pasta and bread. Plus I still have the occasional soda.

Just not all on the same day.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Just wondering which foods peeps have given up to loose weight? Do you think giving them up has helped you loose weight or just made you crave 'naughty' foods even more? :smile: :heart:

I haven't given up anything. I just eat less of it
  • healthyNEWday4me
    Options
    Seems like everything, so that's a loooooong list but I was eating a lot of crappy "so called" food that had very little real nutrition value. I put the brakes on sugars (both real and artificial), processed foods, most added sodium (I was really carrying a lot fluid from it) sodas, most dairy, fried foods. Can I say from that first week on.... I have felt like a new person! And I have many more healthy foods I love that I replaced those junky foods with. And I get to lose weight to boot! Great trade for me!

Oh, I forgot to say that I used to crave sugar like crazy and salty foods and since I have given them up, I have no more cravings and almost never think about it unless someone puts something like that in front of my face.
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Giant bags of candy & midnight snacks. :sad:
  • Tara_238
    Tara_238 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Energy drinks is the biggest thing I had to cut. I was drinking way to many calories. I have switched to ice tea and water. So far 12 lbs lost and other than the headaches I am doing fine.
  • watch_me_shinexo
    Options
    My food weakness is sweets! I had to give up candy and ice cream mostly though. If I get a craving, I eat weight watchers ice cream instead but I have found that my candy cravings have diminished a lot. Ice cream hasn't though :P
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,067 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should ask that the other way around....think about all the food you CAN have to "lose weight". To answer the questions I still eat the same foods I ate 80 pounds ago....but I don't eat them as much and I try to have small portions. Think about all the real whole foods you can have and stop thinking about what you can't have!

yes I think most of us get that we can still have any foods in moderation - but sometimes it just isn't worth it - I mean if somebody spent a lot of calories on cake, for example, and then decided the calorie cost just wasn't worth it and now only eats it occasionally at birthday parties or something - well, that is a valid approach too.

I said I gave up regular soda drinks - true, I haven't had one since I started losing weight that I can recall. But since I am just as happy now having diet sodas on the occasions when I formerly drank regular sodas - there is no problem and no need to find a way to fit it in.
    Other people feel the same way about some foods they have given up.

Obviously if it is a food you really love and would really like to still have at times - sure, find a way to fit it in - but if it is something you don't miss having, then keep omitting it.